View Full Version : Newly Prescribed Adderall and I'm not sure what's normal.

dolphinsafe
04-10-17, 11:05 PM
I was diagnosed with ADD this past Friday and began Adderall XR on Saturday with a starting does of 5 mg. My psychiatrist game me permission to increase the dose to 10 mg if I feel like I need it, and again to 15 if I feel it is right before my next visit in 2 weeks.
On Saturday I took 1 5 mg pill, and within 2 hours I felt nothing and took another, making it 10. Saturday and Sunday I had only a mild decrease in appetite, but not enough to keep me from eating, which is different from posts I've been reading. I also found that the "8-hour" pill only laster me about 5.5 hours and I crashed mid-day, both days.
Today, I barely felt like I took anything! I was still unfocused and my appetite was not effected whatsoever. I even felt hungry! From this, I would think maybe my dosage is still too low, but around midday I found my hands literally shaking in class, which was really pretty alarming. Also peeing every hour AT LEAST, but can't seem to stop drinking water.
I really want to know what types of symptoms I should expect to increase and which will decrease, and what is normal vs. not.

sarahsweets
04-11-17, 04:53 AM
When you say 8 hour pill, what do you mean? Is this ir or xr?

Jsf926
04-11-17, 08:32 AM
Are you taking it once or twice a day? I've been taking it for almost 20 years, and my dose has been 30mg IR twice a day (when I wake up and around 1pm). That has worked for me for quite a while, and since I've been taking it for so long (and I'm 42 years old), I don't want to need any more than that. Tolerance is one of the biggest demons with this medication, so I make sure I take a "vacation" once a month or so (4-5 days with a very low dose or none at all).

As for what's "normal", all I can say is no two people are alike. I was started on Ritalin, but that worked as good as a placebo for me. Then again, many people swear by it. If the Adderall is making you jittery, you might want to ask for a LOW dose of a benzo (say, .5mg of Klonopin) to take with it. Just know that benzos are addictive as well, but as long as you communicate with your on a regular basis about how you're feeling, what's working, what's not, etc, you should be fine.

Hope you're finding the help you need on the subject, and best of luck!! :)

dolphinsafe
04-11-17, 10:38 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned: I take the XR once per day (10 mg). I am a 20 year old female, about 5'2, 126 lbs.

Bouncingoffwall
04-11-17, 01:50 PM
When I take Adderall, or most psychostimulants, the relief from the mental "fog" and racing thoughts is pretty instantaneous and profound.

BlueCola
04-12-17, 01:16 PM
You're tapering up your dose, so the benefits won't be immediate. They definitely weren't for me. Tapering usually happens over a series of weeks to see how your body adjusts.

As far as side effects, my jitters lasted for about 3-4 days; I always felt them when we bumped up my dose. But those went away fairly quickly. It took about a month, month and a half for my headaches to go away. It also took me about 2-3 weeks to notice a change in my mood/concentration. I don't know if I have experience with thirst, but I'm sure it's common. The only lasting side effects I have (on adderall xr 20) is a complete loss of appetite & issues sleeping/staying asleep. The appetite thing sucks. I hate food now, and I used to love cooking. Sometimes putting things into my mouth makes me nauseous. Sleeping is an issue for me, but I won't take a prescription drug for that. I currently do a combo of melatonin or benedryl + medical thc (I live in a medical marijuana state). A side effect check will let you know if what you're feeling is normal.

All in all? Don't expect things to change overnight. I wouldn't focus on the hunger thing, as that isn't a good indicator of whether your medication is working. And don't give up! Work your doc and see what they suggest. They *usually* know what they're doing :P

myth20
04-12-17, 02:07 PM
I agree body will adjust and make sure you keep a logs. Thats how I did for me for the first few months. I have been on adderall for 3 yrs now and my dosage are adderall xr 15mg (brand name) 6am and adderall ir 5mg x2 11am and 2pm.

By at night 10-11pm I start taking 3mg melatonin to help with sleeps. Good luck I hope you find the right dosage.

aur462
04-15-17, 10:28 PM
I'm not very sensitive to stimulants so my medication history is unrelatable. I have anxiety naturally and AMP has been the only effective med for that and ADHD. However, I would inquire to your doc about the side effects vs. benefit. The effect, from my experience at least, didn't require "time" - the ~ 45 minutes post ingestion notwithstanding. I experienced a "jack of all trades" effect on various neurological and psychological shortcomings on the first dose and the "love affair" has not attenuated...:eyebrow:

The principle question is whether these side effects will abate. The dose is too low, obviously. If it were me, I'd google the side effect profile and info about resolution. You may well just need some time for your body to assimilate.

I agree body will adjust and make sure you keep a logs.

Logs are hard to maintain (if you're me, and fortunately you're not), but they can provide transparency that is far superior to memory reliance and illuminate what is and isn't effective. .

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 01:07 AM
Sorry I should have mentioned: I take the XR once per day (10 mg). I am a 20 year old female, about 5'2, 126 lbs.

In your op you said you could take up to 15 so is it 10 or 15mg?

I take xr three times a day because it doesnt last more than about 5 hours. Granted, I have absorption issues too and IR lasted about 2 hours. I also take and ir booster of dex.

PaulCamR
04-21-17, 01:44 AM
I was diagnosed with ADD this past Friday and began Adderall XR on Saturday with a starting does of 5 mg. My psychiatrist game me permission to increase the dose to 10 mg if I feel like I need it, and again to 15 if I feel it is right before my next visit in 2 weeks.
On Saturday I took 1 5 mg pill, and within 2 hours I felt nothing and took another, making it 10. Saturday and Sunday I had only a mild decrease in appetite, but not enough to keep me from eating, which is different from posts I've been reading. I also found that the "8-hour" pill only laster me about 5.5 hours and I crashed mid-day, both days.
Today, I barely felt like I took anything! I was still unfocused and my appetite was not effected whatsoever. I even felt hungry! From this, I would think maybe my dosage is still too low, but around midday I found my hands literally shaking in class, which was really pretty alarming. Also peeing every hour AT LEAST, but can't seem to stop drinking water.
I really want to know what types of symptoms I should expect to increase and which will decrease, and what is normal vs. not.

I take 25mg XR.

I may not be typical. I never "felt it" for a long time. Then I realized it's not something I really notice, most of the time. In fact, I won't focus or get things that I want to get done, while on it, a lot of the time. But, I think it works. It's just hard to really notice it working.

Dry mouth / needing to pee from drinking too much sounds pretty normal. Shaking doesn't sound good, but that sounds slightly par for the course. Perhaps you are taking too little. I know if I am on the tail-end of the medication (when it tapers off), I may feel shaky/bad/anxious. I imagine a smaller-than-needed dosage could perhaps induce such feelings, but being so individual, such a conversation would only be beneficial with your doctor.

I was able to graph out consistently how Adderall works for me if I'm sitting in class. One thing to note: If you don't eat a nice big breakfast (rather, if I don't), the effects aren't as good all day. I like to eat a lot less after breakfast, but the balanced, protein-rich breakfast helps set the stage. Hydrating is also important, and not drinking or eating super acidic foods (I think) is also really important for consistency.

Perhaps my general time-frame of focus might help you analyze how things work for you. I have a 'proper' dosage (weighing of positives and negatives). How I have timed it out is as follows. It's always the same when I sit in class. I'll reference this as X/10, where 10/10 is 100% peak performance, 11/10 would represent being a bit euphoric, 9/10 would represent great performance, 7/10 would be closer to base-line, and 6/10 would be when I get a bit anxious.

- first 30 minutes, nothing, 7/10
- 35 minutes in, I start to feel better, 8/10
- 40 minutes in, feeling good, 9/10
- 45 minutes in, 10/10
- 60 minutes in, 11/10 <-- this lasts about 10 minutes
- 10/10 for another hour
- From 2 hours to 3.5 hours, ranges from 8/10 to 10/10
- At about 3.5 to 4 hours, dips to 6/10 for about 15 minutes (second dose kicking in most likely, consistently happens if I'm sitting in class not moving around)
- Then second dose hits, never an 11/10 again, but back up to 8/10 to 10/10
- Wears off about 8 hours after first taking it

For example, if I take it at noon (12), I last through to 8pm or so, but there's about 60-90 minutes in that time-frame that it's not in effect. So there's about a total of 6.5 to 7 hours of actual therapeutic usefulness.

Perhaps pay attention to your mood. Try to match mood to focus, and see if that helps put some things into context. I was looking at Adderall and thinking "Well jeez my mood is improving, but where's the focus?!" I didn't realize that the two are linked in a hard-to-observe way. It's easier to say "Okay I'm feeling really good, and I'm also focusing right now." The harder way to look at it, was: "Okay I'm not sure how much better I'm focusing, but I feel really good."

moustache
04-25-17, 12:30 AM
For me, 6' 180lbs, 10mg XR was my perfect dose. I was pretty happy to hit it on the first try, but discuss these issues with your doctor.

For me, taking 10mg XR allowed me to focus, wouldn't cause a crash mid day (but I could feel the switch to the secondary dose and the fading of the first). I definitely lost appetite, but not just on it's own. Loss of appetite was due to focusing on something else; I'd describe it as "forgetting to eat".

These first few weeks of diagnosis are the times you should be working closely with your doctor to work out what drug is right for you. In the end, we can only give anecdotal evidence.

Letching Gray
04-27-17, 06:17 PM

Talk to your prescribing physician. Read all the information from the packaging slips. Your doctor should know about any concerns you have.