View Full Version : Social skills

tamaramadama
04-11-17, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone,

What social skills interventions have you found working well for your kids? My son is 6 and while the stereotypical impulsive behaviors are part of the problem, he also has a very strong imagination and seems to prefer playing alone in his imaginative world. He has trouble navigating groups and will often act out in subtle but alienating ways when he feels left out. Meds help a little but evening events, which correspond to our rebound period are rough.

All ideas welcome!

Tamara

Caco3girl
04-11-17, 12:05 PM
With my son I said "I don't care what sport you play, but you need to pick a sport". He wasn't really happy about it but sports make kids conform without the parents demanding it. They learn about being a teammate and following the coaches directions...etc. It is a VERY useful tool in socialization and it gets kids off the proverbial couch. Also, if things go disastrously wrong it is a limited time and you can try again with pretty much a new team the following season.

FYI, my son started baseball at age 6, he is now 14 and one of the best players in the state. Baseball taught him more lessons about compassion, other peoples feelings, and what it takes to be accepted than I ever could have.

Rapunzel16
07-23-17, 09:09 PM
Hi everyone,

What social skills interventions have you found working well for your kids? My son is 6 and while the stereotypical impulsive behaviors are part of the problem, he also has a very strong imagination and seems to prefer playing alone in his imaginative world. He has trouble navigating groups and will often act out in subtle but alienating ways when he feels left out. Meds help a little but evening events, which correspond to our rebound period are rough.

All ideas welcome!

Tamara
Your son sounds like my son! He is also six and very imaginative. He "daydreams" frequently, mostly about video games, making weird noises and gestures. He struggles in groups too. I had to attend a Lego robotics camp with him part of the time because they had kids building in groups and he would give up and mess with pieces off to the side by himself. He could play by himself for hours quite happily.
We have had success with sports. The rules mean he doesn't have to figure out how to integrate himself into the group, it's already set out. How well he does his part and focuses is debatable, but he enjoys being there. We've done soccer, baseball, and are currently trying basketball. I am also planning on putting him in cub scouts.
How are your own social skills? I have a lot of anxiety setting up play dates, so organized activities are good because it takes some of the pressure off me! Lol. If you are good at setting up get togethers you can try that with two other kids (or one to start) and have a group game or craft to do together as the main activity. I think opportunities to practice working in a group will reinforce skills that are not coming naturally.
Also, we got a low dose "booster" to give my son for evenings he has a structured activity. Something to explore

someothertime
07-24-17, 12:01 AM
Drama, theatre sports et. al. should fit the bill. Perhaps with a tapered introduction to it to minimise teething curves.