View Full Version : Less effective when sick / stressed

Friendlyriver
04-12-17, 10:52 PM
So I feel like a nut-case (again). My meds (dex ir) were working awesome for the past few months. Took me a while to dial in the perfect dose, but it's been going pretty good!
But I have been fighting a chronic sinus infection for 2 months. My sleep has gotten ****ty, and I have been so sick I've been put on a crazy anti biotic that makes me feel aweful. On top of that, my poor wife was just diagnosed with post-partum anxiety. On top of that, we have 3 wonderful and very busy boys. And no family near by. And my eldest brought home lice last week...
my wife is stable now, but I have just fallen apart physically, and am getting a CT tomorrow to see what the heck is going on in my head and sinuses.
So I'm exhausted - we all are.
And my meds suddenly feel like a placebo. I'm so scared they have stopped working and I'm screwed. My ADDled mind starts thinking so I need a higher dose?? Why am I not as well controlled anymore.
So I need some reassurance. Do your meds stop working when super sick/tired/stressed/overworked/ and generally unwell? I'm also so fussed up from the antibiotic too.

I need someone to tell me it's ok and Dint mess with your dexedrine. It will work fine once I am healthy, well rested etc. Right?....

Thanks.
I'm freakin out. My life changed when I got on the right dose of Dexedrine. I don't want to go back to the way it was...

Greyhound1
04-12-17, 11:12 PM
I think its perfectly normal in my experience for Dex, Adderall and Vyvanse all to feel as though they have stopped working under great stress or anxiety. They haven't stopped working and they will rebound as stress levels go down. Being sick is also a huge stressor on the body.

Getting over the infection and lowering stress levels are the key. I would consider working on these issues first before adjusting your Dex. I have never found a dose that worked when I was overly stressed.

I think it may come down to excess adrenaline derailing our stimulant efficacy when under stress. Just my guess.

dvdnvwls
04-13-17, 12:44 AM
I don't know why this happens exactly, but I do know that trying to make effective use of ADHD meds while sick is a lost cause.

Either take your normal dose just for the sake of being consistent, or don't take any.

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 01:13 AM
Sleep is the number one offender in this situation.

Pilgrim
04-20-17, 03:21 AM
I was sick recently and I should have been more mindful of not letting it get so bad. Meds really didn't happen.

Friendlyriver
04-22-17, 04:40 PM
Thanks all.

Ya - it sucks. The symptom control is way off where it usually is. The one thing it still does help with a little is chilling me out and curbing my moodiness and irritability - so I still take it. I have surgery in a couple days to fix my sinus issues so hopefully I can get back on track with becoming Superman in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for making me feel better. I was so scared that Dexedrine just suddenly Didnt work and I was screwed. That freaked me out.

Friendlyriver
05-06-17, 09:45 PM
SO
Lesson learned.
Illness, stress, being run down makes you, well, respond like a human. There are some things that the meds just cant help much with.

It's been a tough tough haul, but I stayed the course and didn't change anything. I am now 9 days post surgery, and guess what!? My DEXEDRINE is working again. I feel better and better every day as I recouver from illness and surgery, and my meds work better and better every day. I finally see the light at the end of this difficult tunnel.

:)

Jenn1202
05-08-17, 10:16 PM
Dex is less effective when I'm tired but it calms me down when I'm stressed (probably because I can get more done).