View Full Version : When is it ADHD and when is it dissociation?

AGameOfChance
04-14-17, 10:58 AM
I've been searching the web about this question but I can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere. Maybe that's because such a simple answer doesn't exist. But I'll try my hand here anyway.

When is it ADHD, and when is it dissociation?

dvdnvwls
04-14-17, 04:13 PM
When is what dissociation? What happens that makes you wonder?

AGameOfChance
04-14-17, 05:15 PM
When is what dissociation? What happens that makes you wonder?

My question is how do I tell between attention and dissociation. I don't know if there's anything that happens to make me wonder, I just know that I've had a traumatic childhood and that CPTSD dissociation and ADHD inattention are easily confused for each other. So how do I tell the difference?

dvdnvwls
04-14-17, 05:29 PM
Ah, thanks, now I think I understand your question. I don't know the answer.

VoxPopuli
04-14-17, 05:44 PM
I think that's a question for a professional. Many of us here have likely suffered with traumatic stress associated with our ADHD (especially those of us with the hyperactivity component), that have led to behaviors stemming from constant ridicule of our peers, anger & frustration from those in authority (i.e., teachers/family members/bosses, etc.), friends who interpret our lack of ability to maintain interest/be punctual/remember to pick them up from practice/movies/school, etc., is proof we don't care about our relationship(s) - no doubt its led to childhood onset of (secondary) PTSD in some of us.

I just think it would take a professional to determine whether CPTSD disassociation is due to a specific event - or whether it is a learned behavior from an underlying AD(H)D diagnosis.

You've come to the right place - hopefully someone with experience in this specific area can comment?

Good luck, don't stop searching - at least you're asking the right questions and trying to find help!

samilia
04-25-17, 07:17 AM
Dissociation often feels like you are in a "dream".
Your brain becomes cloudy.
Google derealisation, thats a dissociative state in which the world around you looks weird almost like you are stoned, your surroundings dont feel/look right when looking around, sort of dreamlike, surreal, not real. Almost impossible to describe. I had Dissociative derealization for 5 years after i watched my mum die and take her last breath. It came on with PTSD.

I also have ADD, but ive had that ever since i was a small child. The feelings of add like inattention may make you make careless mistakes, forget stuff, alwayd late etc, but it doest make you feel/or see in a dream like haze Dissociative derealization does. That is just one type of dissociation btw. There are a few times of dissociative feelings and behaviors and disorders. Does this answer your question?

VoxPopuli
04-29-17, 07:26 AM
I can attest to feeling different from everyone else, especially when I discovered that not everyone forgives you for "messing up". This has led to dissociative feelings, but it's not deep/profound - just an abiding feeling that I'm not like everyone else.

Are your dissociative feelings like the ones I've described, or are they more profound?

allesandro1
11-18-17, 05:05 PM
I've been searching the web about this question but I can't seem to find a simple answer anywhere. Maybe that's because such a simple answer doesn't exist. But I'll try my hand here anyway.

When is it ADHD, and when is it dissociation?
It's always dissociation. The issue is whether or not the dissociation is the result of the reticular system looping out as in ADD or whether the disassociation is the result of trauma, or a combination of both