View Full Version : Long-acting ADHD meds

RumandCocoa
04-15-17, 05:50 PM
I posted about two weeks ago inquiring about long-acting ADHD medication. I just re-started on methylphenidate SR, 20mgs/day after a 10-year sabbatical. Let me tell you: I never should have stopped. I didn't fully realize the difference being unmedicated was having on my life until I restarted medication. My mood's even improved. I'm a happier person.

However, my medication tolerance has changed. I take significantly more meds now than I did 10 years ago. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis and consume a battery of medication for that. Additionally, I take wellbutrin for depression and sertraline for anxiety.

I've never taken anything for ADHD besides methylphenidate. It always worked well and with no negative side effects. But it's not lasting as long as it used to and it isn't as strong. I'm only getting probably 5-6 hours of relief. I know what I'm asking for may be impossible, but I want a medication that works for a good 12 hrs. (who doesn't, amirite?!). Sleep is generally not an issue. At least, the 20 mg of methylphenidate doesn't interfere w my sleep. I take it around 9-10 AM.

In my original thread, most users advised me to consult a psychiatrist. I made an appointment, but living in a tiny state, the first appointment I could get is in September. My med check is on April 24th with my family doctor. He told me to observe how the meds affected me. However, he also seemed to express some mild concern with the fact that they're controlled substances that some people abuse. That's not an issue for me. I just want my life under control.

I don't know whether suggesting meds to him is a good idea since he's a tad skittish about the abuse issue or if it's a good strategy. But because he's not an ADHD expert like a psychiatrist is, part of me is inclined to give him guidance based on your suggestions. Thoughts?

I've heard good things about vyvanse and dexedrine. Also, Adderall XR. Or continuing methylphenidate SR (but a higher dose) & then later in the day taking a methylphenidate IR. Opinions?

aur462
04-16-17, 08:11 PM
Definitely want to see a shrink if at all possible - Sept is obviously unacceptable. How close are you to the nearest large city? Is transportation an issue? Definitely go to a mid size or larger city.

There are a variety of options, one of which is the MPH XR with a booster. Find a doc who appears not to suck and make an appt. As you're probably aware, most docs act like you're propositioning them in a "murder for hire" when you ask for an increase in controlled substances, or even better, simply asking them for a controlled substance.

You're not likely to find one drug providing much more than the coverage you're getting. You may have most success with asking for IR's in a higher volume. The first shrink (who had ADHD) that prescribed stims to me, quickly had me on 70mg Vyvanse and 30mg Adderall, though he was "unconventional" and "these results not typical". Good luck.

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 04:10 AM
I've never taken anything for ADHD besides methylphenidate. It always worked well and with no negative side effects. But it's not lasting as long as it used to and it isn't as strong. I'm only getting probably 5-6 hours of relief. I know what I'm asking for may be impossible, but I want a medication that works for a good 12 hrs. (who doesn't, amirite?!). Sleep is generally not an issue. At least, the 20 mg of methylphenidate doesn't interfere w my sleep. I take it around 9-10 AM.
There are some medications that are supposed to last 12 hours one of them being vyvanse however imo its rare to find anyone that actually gets the 12 hours. To me it seems obvious why this wouldnt work since each persons body is different. Plus you have to be really strict with when you take it since you dont want to screw up your sleep.

In my original thread, most users advised m
e to consult a psychiatrist. I made an appointment, but living in a tiny state, the first appointment I could get is in September. My med check is on April 24th with my family doctor. He told me to observe how the meds affected me. However, he also seemed to express some mild concern with the fact that they're controlled substances that some people abuse. That's not an issue for me. I just want my life under control.

I would ask if there us a cancellation list you can get on.

I don't know whether suggesting meds to him is a good idea since he's a tad skittish about the abuse issue or if it's a good strategy. But because he's not an ADHD expert like a psychiatrist is, part of me is inclined to give him guidance based on your suggestions. Thoughts?

Because he is a family doc, I can see why he is hesitant.