View Full Version : Distress at work - help!

twas1994
04-16-17, 06:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new here, and I have recently been diagnosed with ADD (within the last 2 months or so). I am hoping someone can shed some light - provide motivation/tips/guidance.

I have always struggled with listening/paying attention but have always excelled in most I do(college and my career), but I struggle socially.

Until recently, basically after my diagnosis, things have gotten pretty bad, and I feel like I am struggling to keep my head above water. This is mostly in regards to staying organized, getting tasks done in a timely manner, and controlling my anger and irritability. In addition, I always feel like I am in over my head(or out of my league) when it comes to my work even though I am what I would like to think of as a well-respected top-level engineer in my company. I become overwhelmed very quickly and struggle to keep organized even though I know how to. Beyond this, I can get very irritated very quickly when I feel like I am not being listened to or when I feel like I have made a mistake and others 'know'. One small non-issue can ruin my entire day. Once I get upset, I can't seem to get my way out of it. I can tell others can feel my frustration in my voice as when get angry I can't speak in meetings or my responses are very short. Other colleagues have suggested taking a vacation while my boss has told me directly that I am stressed.

The other side of this is that I am always looking ahead to the fifth or sixth item on my list wondering how I am going to get it done which makes tasks at hand suffer. I am always thinking about what my boss may be thinking of my performance as well. It's like a non-stop annoying thought that never goes away. Even when I focus, I can get lost in the smallest details leading to lost productivity. Projects that should take a day or two are turning into weeks because of procrastination. I enjoy my job\career but can't seem to handle the stress levels and feelings of being completely overwhelmed and behind lately. I think its all related to being so scattered brained which ultimately leaves me feeling 'not smart' or 'good enough' that then leads me down this road of continuing frustration.

I have started several medications to help with concentration. I think it's somewhat working but I was hoping for a miracle. I just can't seem to get my **** together! Is there any hope in this madness or will I succumb and eventually lose my job, prosperity, health, etc.?

Little Missy
04-16-17, 09:04 PM
What did your doctor prescribe for you?

aeon
04-16-17, 10:25 PM
And have you been through a proper process of titration?

Cheers,
Ian

twas1994
04-22-17, 07:36 PM
What did your doctor prescribe for you?

Sorry for the late reply and a good example of how I lose attention so quickly.

I started on Ritalin 20mg a day (if I recall correctly) and then moved to 60mg of Adderall. I am now on 90mg of Adderall. This seems like a high dose to me based on things I read.

Pilgrim
04-27-17, 01:21 PM
Over focused or to serious your dose is to high. I use to constantly do this.