View Full Version : Dangitall! Need help...

DJ Bill
04-17-17, 11:39 AM
Just went to my old house(shack) and picked up the mail....Stupid county is starting tax foreclosure. Now I need to find a way to stall them until I sell some stuff and property in Texas. Worst thing is that the taxes for the years I owed first are on an assessed value that is way way off. It was $68,000 which was nuts....Now it is 15k. Tried and tried to get assessor to reduce it but I was never around during the few days a year you could officially fight it, even though he assured me year after year he'd do something when I visited his office when I could get there. I can't even live in the house, as it has collapsed floors over a wet crawl space due to a rising water table over the years. (Highway gets higher and higher every year....and guess where it drains. )

I'm so mad I could spit nails. I owe half the value in taxes for the property and it has to be paid in a lump sum. They don't do payments.

I was thinking of setting up a go fund me page......but I doubt I could for this reason.

RRRGH! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

namazu
04-17-17, 11:55 AM
Well, that stinks. :(

If you can challenge the assessments, that would be a good place to start, though it sounds like that ship may have sailed. [?] But it's probably still worth looking into in case there's some way to retroactively challenge them, especially if you have some record of your conversations with the assessor. Also, even if they claim to only accept lump sums, it's possible that you could negotiate something with them.

If that doesn't pan out: What is the value (monetary, sentimental, practical) of the property to you? Do you use the land for recreation? Is it an old family homestead? Was it an investment? Did you have plans to retire there and fix it up? Other?

If you don't live there (and couldn't, due to condition), and the taxes are burdensome (if high, based on inaccurate assessments), and the property doesn't have sentimental or practical value to you now, in a worst-case scenario, could you sell it and use the proceeds to pay off the lien (or would the lien prevent its sale in the first place, as they sometimes do)?

DJ Bill
04-17-17, 01:54 PM
Currently I am using the place for storage as I am moving back to NY from TX...(Slowly I might add)

Its just a case of no money right now...but I have a few things in the works that I am fixing to sell that may pay it off. But I don't know what time I have left..

Not really looking to sell it..yet. Cleaned up and with the "house" stabilized I might get 5X the assessed value. Its a former small country store gas station building from the 20's.

Unfortunately the assessor refused to put anything in writing. A little arrogant. And he refused to reduce assessments retroactively when asked nicely. He could do it but it means he has to admit he grossly missed the values. Of course there is a time period beyond which I can't do it anyway. If he hadn't been such a sticky wicket I mighta been paid up by now.

Little Missy
04-17-17, 04:43 PM
Are the gasoline tanks still in the ground?

DJ Bill
04-17-17, 08:57 PM
All depends on who is asking....lol. wink wink.

DJ Bill
04-19-17, 06:25 PM
I found out yesterday I have until October to come up with the funds..Only $8000or so...Time to sell everything that isn't nailed down. At least there is a little breathing room.

Little Missy
04-19-17, 06:30 PM
I'd go for a Willys!

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 12:28 AM
I forget what its called and how to do it, but you can legally request a formal reassessment and they have to do it. You may want to talk to a lawyer or google it.