View Full Version : Hard to tell if it's helping or worsening things.

adhbee
04-17-17, 12:37 PM
I've been on Ritalin for about a month and a bit with a couple of dose adjustments: 10mg IR 2x/day, then 20mg LA 1x/day, and currently 30mg 1x/day (both these have option of 10mg IR in the afternoon).

In the beginning it wasn't too bad - I find it gives me a boost socially, but not a good focus on task boost. I'm more optimistic (usually I'm kind of a downer). However, The higher LA doses don't really seem to work any longer than IR - it'll kick in after 30-45 minutes, make me more functional for maybe an hour, and then I'll feel tired for a few hours. If I don't take it on a weekend, I'll feel like garbage on day one or two. Even this weekend when I took it, I was having sadness/self worth issues yesterday. These were in play before any meds, but it feels magnified.

I'm planning to bring this up to my doctor when I see him tomorrow. I was really hopeful that treating my ADHD issues would help turn me around, but I'm still avoidant of the things I need to do the most. I knew my anxiety would probably still be an issue, but's really demoralizing. :(

He also wants me to take the GeneSight test, due to my non-response to adderall and mixed response to ritalin. I wonder how useful that really is, for the price?

sarahsweets
05-01-17, 04:41 AM
I've been on Ritalin for about a month and a bit with a couple of dose adjustments: 10mg IR 2x/day, then 20mg LA 1x/day, and currently 30mg 1x/day (both these have option of 10mg IR in the afternoon).

Personally I would rather take smaller, more frequent doses of either the ir or er type of medication because I believe it would be more consistent for me. I take adderall so I know its not the same but the principle is the same.

In the beginning it wasn't too bad - I find it gives me a boost socially, but not a good focus on task boost. I'm more optimistic (usually I'm kind of a downer). However, The higher LA doses don't really seem to work any longer than IR - it'll kick in after 30-45 minutes, make me more functional for maybe an hour, and then I'll feel tired for a few hours. If I don't take it on a weekend, I'll feel like garbage on day one or two. Even this weekend when I took it, I was having sadness/self worth issues yesterday. These were in play before any meds, but it feels magnified.

This why I think multiple doses a day are better.

I'm planning to bring this up to my doctor when I see him tomorrow. I was really hopeful that treating my ADHD issues would help turn me around, but I'm still avoidant of the things I need to do the most. I knew my anxiety would probably still be an issue, but's really demoralizing. :(

He also wants me to take the GeneSight test, due to my non-response to adderall and mixed response to ritalin. I wonder how useful that really is, for the price?
Genesight has promise. I dont know how it plays out evidence wise but people says its life changing. I hope your doctor doesnt charge you an arm and a leg for it. If he does look into taking it on your own.

dvdnvwls
05-01-17, 01:23 PM
Doing better right when the medication kicks in, closely followed by doing worse for several hours, is very likely to mean you've taken too much at one time. You swallow it - it builds up to the perfect level and everything seems right - then it goes far past that perfect level and you end up kind of zombie-tired and usually unhappy or irritable or over-focused also.

If you had a smaller dose, or several smaller doses spread out over time, this would probably be fixed.