View Full Version : Switching from Adderall to something else

briana
04-17-17, 03:33 PM
Hello, thought I would introduce myself; Iím Bri, this is the first time Iím posting, but I visit this site quite often. Iím 18, female, eat healthy, exercise, meditate, sleep well, and drink plenty of water, and have initiative type ADD; I got diagnosed about 5 months ago.

Right now I've been taking Adderall for about 5 months. I started out with 10mg (morning) and 5mg (afternoon) ir, and have gone as high as 15mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon. Right now, Iím taking 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon (about 5-6 hours later).

The first month or two I took Adderall things were great, I was clear headed, could focus, wanted to do work, no symptoms or problems, and felt the effect for the whole day. Now I get bad headaches at the end of the day (starting around 6-7pm) sometimes starting in the afternoon and gradually getting worse. I still get energy; but the focus, concentration, gratification, and clear headedness are all gone.

I am motivated by myself when I get up in the morning and I am super pumped to start my day, and then when I take the Adderall after about a half hour that motivation is even greater, with the energy to actually do it. But I find after 1-2 hours of taking the Adderall, everything goes away and I canít concentrate or focus and I no longer want to do anything. I also find that after taking the Adderall my mind seems to jump around a lot.

From what I understand about neurotransmitters and how my brain works; and what is and is not working with the Adderall for me. It seems to me that I am getting enough Norepinephrine but not enough dopamine.

http://www.moodocean.co.uk/html/neurotransmitters.html

I was thinking of switching to Dexedrine. Or switching to a 24hr drug that will increase dopamine with another one to take, when I need to work, that will increase Norepinephrine and maybe also dopamine. Have any of you initiative type ADDers switched from Adderall to Dexedrine? Do you think my combination of the two drugs would work? Any other suggestions or ideas to get the Adderall to start working again? Btw when I increased the dose I was able to focus better, but I became too jittery.

Thanks for any and all help, and/or suggestions.

sarahsweets
04-19-17, 07:05 AM
Sometimes its the form of adderall that can cause the issues. For me, IR never lasted long, although I have absorption issues too. I take adderall xr but its dosed as if it was ir. So I take it three times a day.

pierce21
06-19-17, 07:47 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why take XR three times daily?

Snoopy10
06-26-17, 08:15 AM
Hi briana- did you get things worked out? It's always worth trying a different med if one isn't working for you, or a different dosing schedule. Sometimes I break my Adderall IR 10mg into halves and take every few hours to keep things steady (and some times I just take 10mg 3 times a day bc why do the same thing every day, ha ha!)

Emre22
06-26-17, 08:23 AM
I started concerta 2 years ago and it helps me a lot
My ADHD mostly caused low performance in my academic life(my teachers always said that Emre was intelligent but not studying lol i never said that because i hate studying ). so i can say that if it is about focusing on and getting motivated it worked well for me

I do not have experience with vyanse , adderall and rest of all because they arent sold in where i live .

ChRoTa3
06-26-17, 04:15 PM
I had a similar problem with Adderall IR wearing off even after my second dose and headaches. When I switched to XR that more or less solved the problem of losing motivation and focus. My headaches I chalked up to dehydration. I started keeping track of how much water I was drinking and they eventually went away. It can be really beneficial to stay aware of things like that, but like some other posters have said, if it's not working for you, definitely talk to your doctor about other possibilities. There's no magic catchall when it comes to medications. You really have to work with your doctor to find the best treatment plan.

sarahsweets
06-27-17, 02:54 AM
I just realized the article you linked refers to norepinephrine as nor-adrenaline which I dont understand.