View Full Version : Suddenly & unexpectedly Unmedicated. Please Help!

SirTago
04-17-17, 11:24 PM
I am afraid that the world won't believe me.

I lost my adhd meds.

I really did. I did not abuse/snort/sell them on the street etc.

I was flying home from a visit with my sister and I left a small bag in the backseat pocket that contained, among other things, my entire month's supply of adhd medication (adderall). At least thats the last time I remember seeing it. I called the airline and filed a lost property report and everything, but so far no luck. I was okay for the first week, but its getting bad.

The really big problem is that my doctor is on vacation until the end of the month. I called the office and another doc there won't replace my script. After a week I am losing my mind. I quite literally cant do ANYTHING. The only reason I can write this post is because I found one dose leftover from an old script in my house. I feel really really REALLY scary depressed. Not suicidal but seriously, seriously depressed and I can't take it anymore.

I am going to go to a walk-in psych clinic tomorrow, armed with my Rx history from walgreens and hopefully (if they'll get it to me) my med history from my normal psych's office.

But I am scared that they wont help me either.

I'm feeling so down and worried about this.

I never realized how addicted to my adhd medication I must be. I can skip it for a few days without much problem, but it gets worse and worse and after a week here I am. I cant believe I have to basically check myself in to a psych ward because I'm so dysfunctional without it. I cant believe how STUPID I was. And more than anything, I feel like a criminal because of the way my doc's office talked to me and refused to refill my script.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Advice on coping?

I know this could have been easily prevented and already have a plan to keep it from happening again. And I bought a lockbox so that I dont feel like I have to take my entire Rx with me when I travel. (I used to have a roommate that would steal pills, and basically everything, so I'm a little paranoid.)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank You.

Tetrahedra
04-18-17, 01:37 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you - what a tough position to be in. I've never been in a similar position, but I think that getting yourself help as soon as possible like you're going to do is a good idea. Especially if you tell them that you're feeling depressed because you don't have your medications. If they don't give you adderall (due to its addictive nature / not knowing you / etc.), could they give you something to help you with the withdrawal?

sarahsweets
04-19-17, 12:55 PM
I am afraid that the world won't believe me.

I lost my adhd meds.

I really did. I did not abuse/snort/sell them on the street etc.

I was flying home from a visit with my sister and I left a small bag in the backseat pocket that contained, among other things, my entire month's supply of adhd medication (adderall). At least thats the last time I remember seeing it. I called the airline and filed a lost property report and everything, but so far no luck. I was okay for the first week, but its getting bad.
Its never a good idea to travel with all your medication. What I do is have the pharmacy print me a second bottle and only put what I need in it so I am not walking around for loose pills and not the whole amount either.

The really big problem is that my doctor is on vacation until the end of the month. I called the office and another doc there won't replace my script. After a week I am losing my mind. I quite literally cant do ANYTHING. The only reason I can write this post is because I found one dose leftover from an old script in my house. I feel really really REALLY scary depressed. Not suicidal but seriously, seriously depressed and I can't take it anymore.

Yea a new doctor will not care one bit what your relationship to your regular doctor is they only see liability and its ok because these are controlled meds and they cant possibly know whos legit and risk their license over it. It would be nice if they couldve been nice to you though, no need for sniping when you feel bad enough already.

I am going to go to a walk-in psych clinic tomorrow, armed with my Rx history from walgreens and hopefully (if they'll get it to me) my med history from my normal psych's office.

I do not recommend this. No matter how legit it is, if you regular doctor finds out the on call doctor refused you and then you tried to get it from a clinic, it looks really really bad.

But I am scared that they wont help me either.

They dont know you and even though you have a prescription history you cant expect a clinic to replace lost meds they never even orgionally prescribed.

I never realized how addicted to my adhd medication I must be. I can skip it for a few days without much problem, but it gets worse and worse and after a week here I am. I cant believe I have to basically check myself in to a psych ward because I'm so dysfunctional without it. I cant believe how STUPID I was. And more than anything, I feel like a criminal because of the way my doc's office talked to me and refused to refill my script.

I dont like the word addiction. Its dependence. You can be dependent on insulin, eye glasses or antidepressants and it doesnt mean you are addicted to them, and it doesnt matter to anyone why you need your medication. It works for you to treat a real condition that was diagnosed by a doctor.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Advice on coping?

I know this could have been easily prevented and already have a plan to keep it from happening again. And I bought a lockbox so that I dont feel like I have to take my entire Rx with me when I travel. (I used to have a roommate that would steal pills, and basically everything, so I'm a little paranoid.)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank You.
One time I managed to lose about a week or so worth of medication because, believe it or not my cat knocked it into my sink while jumping over the sink to her favorite perch. I already had the next month's script so I was able to get my pharmacy to have my insurance override it for an early fill. Without that script though, i would have been SOL. I am also notorious for forgetting to refill on time and then had the suckiness of the doctor being away for vacation. I had to tough it out but once a week went by I bounced back.
You can get through it, just remember that its only temporary.

Lunacie
04-19-17, 02:11 PM
Was the medication in a container with your name on it?

Call the airline and report that you left it on the plane and ask if it's been found.