View Full Version : Adderall, Ritalin, and tolerance

doadam
04-19-17, 04:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm currently 22 years old, diagnosed with ADHD since I was 10.
I started back then with Ritalin IR (peaked at 10mg if I recall correctly).
At some sort of point, mainly due to side effects, my doctor prescribed me with Concerta instead (started at 18mg and peaked at 54mg).

I continued with that regimen until I realized what it had done to my social skills (practically stumped them) and then at the age of 14 I started to take it only before\during tests, but never without a reason.

Recently (July 2016), I moved to Adderall because I heard the side effects are more delicate in comparison to methylphenidate.
I found it to be right - the rebound was almost unnoticeable and the entire experience feels much less zombie and mechanic... I can finally eat without feeling nausea and almost no anxiety when talking to people.

I started with 7mg per day and gradually went up to 20-23mg per day (IR). That's the dosage I currently take.

However, I am starting to feel that tolerance is being built up and I'm afraid I might reach the maximum dosage and eventually render Adderall useless.
If I compare Ritalin\Concerta (which were, and probably still are effective for more than a decade) to Adderall, I'm not sure whether no sides is a good idea, considering that within the next 5 years I might not have any other option.

I wonder if the tolerance is being stopped at some sort of point (like in Ritalin\Concerta). Are there ways to maximize effect while reducing dosage\break tolerance? currently I sustain myself from taking Adderall on weekends and sometimes also a day before\after the weekend.

I also asked my doctor whether there's cross-tolerance between methylphenidate and Adderall and he said no... on the other hand - I read on the internet that everyone complains about the cross-tolerance between them. I'll be happy if anyone can shed some light about that topic.

Thanks in advance!

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 03:28 AM
However, I am starting to feel that tolerance is being built up and I'm afraid I might reach the maximum dosage and eventually render Adderall useless.
If I compare Ritalin\Concerta (which were, and probably still are effective for more than a decade) to Adderall, I'm not sure whether no sides is a good idea, considering that within the next 5 years I might not have any other option.
What signs do you have that makes you think its tolerance?
People often worry about tolerance long before its even an issue and its a lot more rare than you think. They do all of these things like take breaks, change the dose to a lower one, or even try and potentiate it by reading stuff on the internet. While it can happen its not as common as you think and its hard to know how to prevent this (if you even can) because there is no sure fire way to prevent what hasnt happened yet.
Relax and wait to see if its actually a problem and monitor your symptom control.

doadam
04-22-17, 02:58 PM
What signs do you have that makes you think its tolerance?
People often worry about tolerance long before its even an issue and its a lot more rare than you think. They do all of these things like take breaks, change the dose to a lower one, or even try and potentiate it by reading stuff on the internet. While it can happen its not as common as you think and its hard to know how to prevent this (if you even can) because there is no sure fire way to prevent what hasnt happened yet.
Relax and wait to see if its actually a problem and monitor your symptom control.

Adderall doesn't seem to have the same effect for me before I took it previously. I just feel like I need a higher dosage to achieve the same level of concentration and focus. Till Decemeber, around 7.5-10mg did the job for the entire day... I know 20-23mg sounds pretty number but I'm just worried the built-up will never stop.

senzapaura
04-25-17, 03:30 PM
I have the same problem with Adderall and previously had it with Ritalin. My previous doctor would just up the dosage every time, until I was taking something like 40mg XR twice a day plus a 20mg IR. Then he retired and I took a break from meds before finding a new psychiatrist who started me on 20mg XR plus 10mg IR Adderall per day (generic). This dose was reasonably effective for a few months and gradually began to feel like I was taking a placebo. She reluctantly increased me to 30mg for the XR, but after a couple of months on that I'm experiencing the same thing. I've read, here and elsewhere, conflicting information about tolerance to stimulants like these. My doc is in the "tolerance is very rare and takes much longer" camp. My own personal experience doesn't seem to count. It's very frustrating because when the dosage is effective, I can actually be productive at my job. When it's not working, I'm the old me—disorganized procrastinator who gets a whole lot of nothing done.

sarahsweets
04-26-17, 06:26 AM
I'm experiencing the same thing. I've read, here and elsewhere, conflicting information about tolerance to stimulants like these. My doc is in the "tolerance is very rare and takes much longer" camp. My own personal experience doesn't seem to count. It's very frustrating because when the dosage is effective, I can actually be productive at my job. When it's not working, I'm the old meódisorganized procrastinator who gets a whole lot of nothing done.
What signs or symptoms do you have that makes you think its tolerance? I am also in the camp of it being rare but it does sometimes happen. I think the issue is people mistake not feeling their meds with not working. Besides concentration issues what else have you noticed?

senzapaura
04-26-17, 01:22 PM
What signs or symptoms do you have that makes you think its tolerance? I am also in the camp of it being rare but it does sometimes happen. I think the issue is people mistake not feeling their meds with not working. Besides concentration issues what else have you noticed?

Well that's a good question and it can be tricky to distinguish feeling the med vs. the med working. I do associate that feeling of the Adderall kicking in with getting productive and it really helps motivate me. When I stop getting that feeling, and a dose doesn't change my productivity or make me feel any different than if I hadn't taken it, I take that as a sign it's no longer effective.