View Full Version : Adderall options in Belgium/EU?

Samster1983
04-19-17, 09:25 AM
I have used Adderall 30 mg for about 7 years now and it worked so well. However, I recently moved to Belgium and I am out of my two-month supply of Adderall that I brought from the US.

I went to the doctor here, they prescribed Ritalin 5mg for me since Adderall is banned in Belgium. However, this doesn't work for me - I feel exhausted and foggy pretty much though the day.

I just read that Ritalin is never as good as Adderall in any dosage for anyone. I mentioned this to the doctor, she prescribed Adderall for me, however the pharmacies here do not carry them and will not import them either.

Would you know if any European country sells this Adderall ? Please let me know. I appreciate your support.

namazu
04-19-17, 03:21 PM
Hi Samster,

When you say that Adderall is "banned" in Belgium, what do you mean?

I'm confused because you said that a doctor in Belgium prescribed it for you anyway.

Is it legal for individuals to import it into Belgium from other countries, even if Belgian pharmacies won't import it?

As a side note, you said:
I just read that Ritalin is never as good as Adderall in any dosage for anyone.
This is untrue. Adderall is better for some people. For other people, Ritalin works better and/or with fewer side effects than Adderall. People vary enough in their genetics and biochemistry that there are not a lot of true "one size fits all" type statements.

Head-to-head comparison studies of ADHD medications haven't always been done, but most of the ones I've seen find the different stimulants to be roughly equivalent to each other in terms of benefits and side effects, on average, though some people have strong preferences for one over another.

In your case, if you've found that Ritalin makes you feel "foggy" but Adderall works, then it's completely sensible to try to stick with Adderall, if you can use it legally in Belgium. But I wanted to debunk the myth that Adderall is "always" better.

Best wishes finding effective treatment in Belgium.

Teemu
04-22-17, 01:08 AM
While Adderall (75% dextroamphetamine, 25% levoamphetamine) isn't available in Belgium, pure 100% dextroamphetamine sulfate certainly is. Pharmacy mixture 50% D, 50% L, manufactured in local pharmacies like in Germany, could be available also, not sure though.

Relative to population, methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin, etc) is even more prescribed in Belgium than USA.

But while in USA amphetamine is prescribed even more than methylphenidate, in Belgium 98% of ADHD stimulant prescriptions are for methylphenidate, 2% for amphetamine.

While in almost all European countries amphetamine can be prescribed for ADHD, methylphenidate is more popular by huge margins in most of them. Doctors don't like to prescribe medication they don't know well enough. This means that usually you are not going to get a prescription from generic doctor, probably not even from a generic psychiatrist, a psychiatrist specialized in ADHD could probably prescribe it. But since your doctor wrote you Adderall prescription anyway, I guess you could ask her to write dextroamphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine or Dexedrine prescription, whatever the dextroamphetamine or amphetamine salts mix is called there. I don't really understand why she wrote Adderall prescription, since amphetamine is controlled substance, pharmacies located in other EU countries wouldn't even sell it to someone with Belgian prescription, I wonder if she even knew that Adderall is a mixture of amphetamine salts.