View Full Version : Should I tell my new doc about a previous negative experience with another doc?

swagbunny11
04-20-17, 06:54 PM
About a month ago I met with primary care physician for a physical and mentioned that I had some concerns about my inability to focus. He shot me down rather quickly and said he didn't think ADHD was my problem. I decided to seek out another PCP to talk to him about the problems I have been struggling with, and I'm wondering if it is a good idea to mention my previous negative experience. I don't want to come off as just looking for drugs, and I have no problem with a doctor giving me another diagnosis, so long as they listen to me.

dvdnvwls
04-21-17, 03:16 AM
I can't figure out a good reason for mentioning that to the new doctor. Can you see a good reason?

sarahsweets
04-21-17, 03:22 AM
Since this is more about a second opinion and its not like you are trying to get a second round of drugs, I see no point in bringing that up. Doctors sometimes have a weird loyalty to each other and get suspicious when someone complains about a collegue.

dvdnvwls
04-21-17, 03:29 AM
Yes - a bit like how a new boss would get a weird feeling if you complained about your old boss.

murex2020
04-21-17, 08:34 PM
I would not say more than you have too, you must feel at ease with your doctor and tell them all they need to hear, keep it clinical and only answer what they ask or things that you need help with. At the end of the day, they are there to help you, to make your life easier. Like Sarahsweets said, Dr do have loyalty club and they do hang out together. I had one Dr who was such a dick and up himself, I just got up one day and walked out, he was not helping me at all, so no point staying. I never mentioned this to my next dr who was great, helpful and understanding of ADD. at the end of the day it is up to people to be accountable, as soon as you feel intimidated, or you are not getting help or support in a way that you understand, Change Dr. ASAP. you need to be able to communicate, and when you can, you know you have the right DR.
To be honest there are so many Dr out there that have no idea. then there are some that have the passion to help.

ToneTone
04-22-17, 12:33 AM
No, why mention that? ... Will only weaken your case and make you feel more insecure ...

But don't bring up the focus the first second you sit down ... maybe bring up another health issue and then get to the focus ...