View Full Version : Does citrus fruit really interact with Concerta?

BOCK102
04-24-17, 06:51 AM
Hi everyone,
I've recently started taking Concerta and have read some conflicting reports regarding citrus fruits. Some reports claim citrus fruits and drinks can impact upon absorption whilst others say this only happens with amphetamine based ADHD drugs (i.e. Adderall).

Does anyone know anything about this? Or if anyone regularly consumes citrus fruits/drinks do you think they impact upon your medication?

Ps I know grapefruit juice can impact upon a lot of medicines so I'm not talking about it.

JR1973
04-26-17, 01:40 PM
No. Concerta, which is methylphenidate, doesn't have the absorption issues that amphetamines have.

BOCK102
05-05-17, 05:10 AM
Thanks JR

coolbanana
05-20-17, 01:54 PM
I like to take a slow release vitamin C tablet from time to time which I presume would stay in my stomach for hours alongside the Concerta. Can this slow release Vitamin C affect Concerta or Ritalin ?

Can taking lots of multivatamin e.g Vitamin C in a glass of water affect them either ?

Cyllya
05-20-17, 08:22 PM
A lot of time-release oral pills are easily affected by gastrointestinal pH.

Concerta uses a fancy-pantsy osmotic controlled-release oral delivery system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmotic_controlled-release_oral_delivery_system) which is less susceptible.

Generic Concerta is supposed to use the same type of pill in order to actually be considered generic Concerta, but I'm not sure if every country legally enforces that.

Other controlled-release methylphenidate, such as Ritalin LA and generics thereof, may use other pill types like micro-encapsulation, which might make acidic foods and drinks more problematic.

Instant-release methylphenidate should be fine.

Short answer: You do not have to worry about citrus causing issues with Concerta.

BOCK102
06-02-17, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Much appreciated!