View Full Version : Adhd, strattera, stimulants and panic attack disorder? Can you take stimulants?

samilia
04-24-17, 07:23 AM
I have adhd pi and severe panic attack disorder. I have mulptiple panic attacks frequently, which goes away when im on Straterra, but sometimes strattera isnt quite enough to study. If i come off strattera i will have panic attacks. Can i take stimulants while on Straterra? Is that dangerous? I will ask shrink when i see him in one month, just curious for now. Ive never tried stimulants before because im too scared of dying from them from a heart attack (i have no heart conditions). Ive read too many sudden death in healthy people horror stories from ritalin etc.

Do any of you successfuly take a stimulant and strattera?
Do any of you have panic disorders or anxiety disorders and take stimulants? Does it make your anxiety worse?

Thanks

KaitlynH
04-24-17, 11:13 AM
Hi Samilia,

I have generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia, and I take stimulant medications without any major problems. How you react to stimulants involves many factors, and really isn't easily predictable. In fact, some people even find that stimulants decrease their anxiety symptoms.

Try not to pay attention to those stories you hear. A fatal reaction in healthy people under the care of a responsible doctor is nearly unheard of. If your doctor were to put you on stimulants, they would start off with a small dose to minimize the risk of dangerous side effects. You would have to be careful not to take them with other stimulants such as coffee though.

As far as interactions between Strattera and stimulants, I'm not sure. I'll look around and see if I can find anything, but maybe you would find some answers in the medication threads.

Best of luck!

samilia
04-25-17, 07:05 AM
Hi Samilia,

I have generalized anxiety disorder and social phobia, and I take stimulant medications without any major problems. How you react to stimulants involves many factors, and really isn't easily predictable. In fact, some people even find that stimulants decrease their anxiety symptoms.

Try not to pay attention to those stories you hear. A fatal reaction in healthy people under the care of a responsible doctor is nearly unheard of. If your doctor were to put you on stimulants, they would start off with a small dose to minimize the risk of dangerous side effects. You would have to be careful not to take them with other stimulants such as coffee though.

As far as interactions between Strattera and stimulants, I'm not sure. I'll look around and see if I can find anything, but maybe you would find some answers in the medication threads.

Best of luck!

:goodpost:

:yes:

Yes, you are right. People who die are probably the minority. I just grew up with a mum who wouldnt vaccinate me because it was "poison" and would treat me for adhd because ritalin etc is "poison" . She has ingrained that fear in me forever and im finding it really hard to shake, and its getting in the way of treatments.

I take Strattera to avoid stimulants, but i need to study soon and i dont think strattera is enough on its own. I just wonder if i can take temporary combos while studying of strattera and stimulants!? Hmm cant find much on it.

Yes, maybe i will be one of the ones who feels calm on a stimulant because by theory, strattera increases norepinephrine which is a sister to adrenaline which should in a "normal" person should increase fear, but because i have ADHD-PI, my norepinephrine is lower than a" normal " person and taking strattera brings me almost up to baseline? Then a mild /small dose stimulant would either bring me up to baseline and or just over enough to focus and or be alert?
That fact that my panic disorder 100% goes away while im on Straterra tells me my panic / anxiety is not a disorder on its own, but rather a product of my adhd?

I wonder if im getting too ahead of myself here? Does that sound like i may be onto something though? Does that all make sense?!

Thanks for your reply! =)