View Full Version : Does vyvanse cause stroke or Bell's palsy in healthy 18 year old females?

sarahowell12
04-24-17, 10:24 AM
Hi, I started vyvanse alittle over 3 months ago. Towards the beginning everything was fine. However, recently I have noticed twitching in my lips, eye a cheek on the left side of my face. I cannot tell if it goes completely numb. I have also noticed vision changes and drowsiness. My blood pressure has actually gone down but not dangerously. I guess I'm alittle worried, I also suffer from anxiety which is why I am also on Strattera 40mg. I take vyvanse in the mornings and strattera in the evening when the vyvanse wears off. My main question though is does vyvanse cause stroke, Bell's palsy or heart attack etc. mainly any severe health problems in healthy 18 year old women?

Lunacie
04-24-17, 10:56 AM
Allergies sometimes cause me to have twitches like that. I hate the feeling
when my eye twitches. Ugh.

One of the possible side effects of Vyvanse is "twitching, twisting, or
uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs."
from drugs.com. It can be very annoying, so check with the doctor.

namazu
04-24-17, 11:16 AM
Short answer:
I am not a medical doctor, but it sounds to me like what you're experiencing are relatively minor side effects and anxiety. Heart-related side effects are rare in people without pre-existing cardiovascular problems. Still, it would be good to speak with your doctor about them soon to rule out anything more serious and to see if they can be mitigated.

Long answer:
What was the reason for adding Vyvanse to the Strattera? Was the Strattera not helping (enough)?

Vyvanse can affect blood pressure and circulation, but rarely causes serious heart problems, especially in healthy adults with no history of heart or artery disease.

Although Strattera is not regulated like most stimulant medications, it can also have stimulant-like side effects (including anxiety, increased blood pressure, etc.).

Combining Strattera with a stimulant, like Vyvanse, can increase the chance of these side effects. Most stimulant side effects are bothersome, but not dangerous -- unless you do already have high blood pressure or heart disease.

You mentioned that your blood pressure is reduced slightly -- and assuming it was normal to begin with -- this is probably fine. Lower blood pressure is associated with reduced risk of stroke.

Similarly, if you consume caffeine (another stimulant), that can also increase the chances for bothersome side effects with Strattera or with Vyvanse. If you're a coffee or strong tea drinker, you may find that cutting back will reduce the twitchiness and other side effects.

Muscle twitches can also sometimes be related to inadequate sleep. (It goes without saying that drowsiness can also result from not enough sleep or from sleep disruption.) How's your sleep since starting these medications?

For someone with significant anxiety that's not caused only by the ADHD, it can sometimes be helpful to combine a stimulant with an SSRI (antidepressant) or another anti-anxiety medication, along with therapy to help manage the anxiety in non-pharmaceutical ways.

In any case, since you're experiencing several bothersome side effects -- drowsiness, twitchiness, etc. -- I'd recommend speaking with your doctor soon to see if changing the doses, timing, or medication could reduce these side effects (and the accompanying anxiety).

If you start experiencing symptoms of stroke (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/stroke/symptoms-causes/dxc-20117265?p=1), seek emergency help. But know that most side effects of stimulants are annoying, but not dangerous.

Good luck!

sarahowell12
04-24-17, 11:44 AM
Thank you, I appreciate the helpful response. Strattera wasn't working for my focus but it was helping anxiety. I guess I don't necessarily have anxiety issues unless something goes wrong with my health. I can manage non life threatening symptoms as long as I know whats going on. Towards the beginning of vyvanse treatment was the only time I had slightly elevated BP but it seems to constantly change. Some days it would be normal and some days it would not. What are the dangers of having high BP while taking vyvanse?

namazu
04-24-17, 12:08 PM
What are the dangers of having high BP while taking vyvanse?
The same as the dangers for high blood pressure generally.

The American Heart Association defines a "hypertensive crisis" (acute high blood pressure associated with potentially life-threatening problems) as 180/110 mmHg or higher. If your blood pressure spikes like that, seek emergency care ASAP, and work with your doctor to find a medication regimen that doesn't do that to you.

Less extreme elevations in blood pressure can add up over many years to cause problems, too, but if your BP is only mildly elevated (and sometimes is normal or below), then you're less likely to experience problems.

Remember that untreated ADHD is also associated with health (and educational, and social, and occupational, and relationship, and driving) problems as you weigh the risks/benefits of medications.

sarahowell12
04-24-17, 01:46 PM
As for the stroke part. You said that it wouldnt be very likey for 20 mg of vyvanse to cause something like that in a healthy individual?

namazu
04-24-17, 03:30 PM
As for the stroke part. You said that it wouldnt be very likey for 20 mg of vyvanse to cause something like that in a healthy individual?
Correct.

It's extremely unlikely that an otherwise healthy young adult, with no underlying cardiovascular disease, using medication as prescribed, would have a stroke as a result of taking a 20mg dose of Vyvanse.

People with pre-existing cardiovascular disease, and people who abuse the medication by taking higher-than-prescribed doses without medical supervision, are at greater risk. The risk to people with pre-existing cardiovascular disease can be reduced by giving a thorough physical (including EKG or other tests, if needed) prior to prescribing the medication, managing the underlying cardiovascular disease with medication and/or changes to diet and exercise levels as appropriate, and monitoring closely for side effects.

sarahowell12
04-27-17, 07:17 PM
So even if I don't have pre-existing heart related problems.is it still dangerous for my heart rate to get up to 136? It usually stays around 80 to 98 resting but when I walk somewhere or sit after walking it gets up in the 130s.

sarahowell12
04-27-17, 07:45 PM
So my heart rate is alittle elevated. Resting it is 80 to 98 bpm and walking or sitting down after walking it is 105 to 137 bpm. Is this dangerous at all even if my blood pressure is normal?

namazu
04-27-17, 08:39 PM
So my heart rate is alittle elevated. Resting it is 80 to 98 bpm and walking or sitting down after walking it is 105 to 137 bpm. Is this dangerous at all even if my blood pressure is normal?
It sounds perfectly normal. Your heart rate is supposed to increase when you exercise, and then it takes a while to return to its resting rate. (How long depends on things like your overall fitness, how hard you were exercising, what you do afterwards, etc.)

Here are some heart rate guidelines from the American Heart Association. (https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp) For a healthy 20-year-old, they claim that a "normal" resting heart rate is between 60-100 beats/minute (and you're in that range), and that a target range for aerobic exercise, representing 50-80% of maximum capacity, is 100-170 beats/minute (and you're in that range, too, during/after walking).

sarahowell12
04-27-17, 09:36 PM
Thankyou for the responses. I'm fairly new to stimulants so there's not much prior knowledge. I appreciate the help!

namazu
04-27-17, 09:45 PM
You're welcome!

It can be scary / uncomfortable to start a new medication, and it can be helpful and reassuring to talk to people who've been through it before.

sarahowell12
05-16-17, 10:53 PM
I have a new question, what about weight gain? I don't necessarily take vyvanse to lose weight. Out of curiosity though, at what period do you begin to gain the weight you initially lost back?

dvdnvwls
05-16-17, 11:39 PM
You likely won't even lose any weight, unless you're trying to.

This general type of drug has been tried as a help with weight loss, but they gave up on it because the results were poor.

sarahowell12
05-17-17, 02:50 AM
I did lose about 10 lbs on it but I'm still pretty healthy. I'm not too keen on the idea of gaining it back.

sarahsweets
05-17-17, 04:08 AM
I did lose about 10 lbs on it but I'm still pretty healthy. I'm not too keen on the idea of gaining it back.

Most of the time weight loss has to do with not having an appetite. Its not because the drug causes weight loss.

freshiee
05-19-17, 09:34 AM
Hey there! you seem to have pretty identical worries to me :P however, I'm more concerned with cardiac issues. for context, I'm 19 and male.
my bpm always worries me so damn much and so do minor side effects meds give here and there. Its so frustrating trying to work out what is anxiety and stress and what is a genuine concern.
Your resting and walking bpm are the exact same as mine and I've had blood tests, ECGs and a few other tests to make sure my heart is fine. And I have been told that yes, my heart IS fine. A pretty big variation in bpm would be caused by anxiety and the fact that stimulants do cause a slightly elevated bpm

Hope we can both find peace of mind with our meds! All the best :)

freshiee
05-20-17, 01:17 AM
Most of the time weight loss has to do with not having an appetite. Its not because the drug causes weight loss.

Don't amphetamines increase your metabolism?
But on personal experience, yeah. I haven't lost any weight at all after half a year of amphetamines. But i do know that amphetamines make people lose their appetite entirely, which isn't the case for me. Nor do I have any trouble sleeping like some people.