View Full Version : Drug test involving Adderall Prescription

moustache
04-25-17, 12:24 AM
I've been diagnosed for 3 years, one of which I didn't have insurance. My insurance is KP Northeast (Virginia) and I'm wondering what rights I have involving a drug test.

From what I can gather, the drug testing was agreed upon when I was diagnosed and prescribed. I recently admitted to my doctor that I was a weed user and this drug test followed, 2 months later. KP originally diagnosed me and prescribed me, although their testing was not valid for my university to give me access to disability help (secondary note taker, increased testing time).

I no longer feel the need for my Adderall XR 10mg prescription. My doctor told me to try to use it as little as possible during my last check up and I had told him I smoke. I will also be switching insurers when I move to California in July, following my graduation. I also feel that my prescription will no longer be needed outside of a lecture/academic environment and have worked with my behavioral therapist to develop a fantastic system that works for me.

Will failing this drug test have any other consequences than losing my prescription and, in your opinions, would denying this drug test even be a real issue? Am I even allowed to decline a drug test if that's the only prescription I have?

sarahsweets
04-25-17, 03:48 AM
I dont understand who wants the drug test and why?

moustache
04-25-17, 03:52 AM
My doctor "randomly" ordered it about a month after disclosing that I smoke. I'm at this point, more concerned about why he asked me to avoid taking my medication without consulting my psychiatrist or telling me the reasoning.

I feel like I need some explaining from my doctor for a few things.

moustache
04-25-17, 03:54 AM
I should add that no explanation was given and he gave me a week to take it. I am at school right now and the drug labs for KP are closed on weekends so there's no way to take the test until mid-May and my doctor said that I could take it then.

sarahsweets
04-25-17, 04:03 AM
I dont know why he would tell you to not take your meds. If he is looking for evidence of pot then it would be there regardless of whether or not you have taken your adderall. Why dont you want to take your adderall anymore? Are you looking to quit meds completely?

moustache
04-25-17, 04:10 AM
I believe my case is mild and feels to be controllable in the environment I will be working at as opposed to a classroom now but I still hadn't discussed the thought of getting off meds with a psychiatrist, only my general physician.

moustache
04-25-17, 04:11 AM
The disclosure of pot came up during the same visit he told me to begin to only take my meds "when I needed them"

sarahsweets
04-25-17, 09:34 AM
Well it is odd but maybe because you are using an illegal drug, he wants to see what other drugs are in your system? Or can they tell how much THC is in urine? I am not sure. Refusing a drug test can be like shooting yourself in the foot regardless of whether you quit meds or not. It just looks suspicious.

moustache
04-25-17, 01:51 PM
I'm not only quitting meds, I'm also switching insurance. I'm already going to be moving from east coast to west coast this summer and will need to anyway.

Reading up on this forum has made me feel uncomfortable with the way I've been treated at my current insurer. They never followed up again on my medication, I haven't gotten any behavioral therapy from KP, my college won't accept my diagnosis from KP as legitimate, and I can't even find any of the medication agreements that I'm apparently bound to on the internet.

tearsong
04-26-17, 11:21 AM
What is the college's issue with the diagnosis reports? Were you diagnosed by a psychologist/psychiatrist? If so, you should be able to go to them and ask for a report straight from the doctor to give to the school.

I don't think any CSD (center for students with disabilities, or w/e your university calls it) or anyone else will accept a simple insurance code, they want a full report from the doctor who diagnosed you.

BlueCola
04-26-17, 08:32 PM
This is your prescriber's medical facility's policy. Some doctors do this, and they have the legal right to. It is not dependent on your insurance. Trust me, I ran into this with my PCP, it is a pain.

If you don't want to take the test, you'll probably have to switch doctors. I did, especially after my PCP incorrectly stated how long weed stays in your system, and that the cost of the test would be my responsibility. LOL - no.

Greyhound1
04-27-17, 12:34 AM
Ask your Dr. what he's testing for. Mention he already knows you smoke weed since you admitted it to him.

Many Dr's are mainly interested in the amount of amphetamines and or other stimulants like cocaine that are in your system. My Dr. tested me 4 years ago which was 3 mos. after I first began adderall. I asked her why and what they were testing for and she explained it was a formality. Basically to cover her ***. Surprisingly, she even mentioned they didn't even test for marijuana.

That was the one and only time.

I think many use them mainly to help determine if you are a possible addict if levels are too high or possibly selling your script if levels are too low or non existent, I believe.

Letching Gray
04-27-17, 01:40 AM
From what I can gather, the drug testing was agreed upon when I was diagnosed and prescribed.

Who agreed? Find out. Who signed the "agreement"? Get your copy, come back and discuss it further.

Letching Gray
04-27-17, 01:46 AM
This is your prescriber's medical facility's policy. Some doctors do this, and they have the legal right to. It is not dependent on your insurance. Trust me, I ran into this with my PCP, it is a pain.

If you don't want to take the test, you'll probably have to switch doctors. I did, especially after my PCP incorrectly stated how long weed stays in your system, and that the cost of the test would be my responsibility. LOL - no.

His prescriber's medical facility? How do you know?

Letching Gray
04-27-17, 04:53 PM
I haven't gotten any behavioral therapy from KP,...

I also feel that my prescription will no longer be needed outside of a lecture/academic environment and have worked with my behavioral therapist to develop a fantastic system that works for me.What system did your behavioral therapist teach you?