View Full Version : I got a new job. It's a mix feelings and reasons.

finallyfound10
04-25-17, 01:07 AM
So..... I got a new nursing job in behavioral health. I'll be working on an inpatient psych unit at a totally different hospital system.

It is very, very bittersweet. I worked on a busy and poorly run med-surg unit. My ADHD and med-surg nursing is like oil and water so it was never a good experience and most of the reason that I left. It was so brutal on my already low-self esteem in general and in particular my lack of confidence in bedside nursing skills. The hospital has a lot of issues and my unit is poorly run so it was a perfect storm of mess.

The 2 year and 3 months I spent there made my depression and anxiety worse and did completely derailed my plans for attempting to build a social life as I was too emotionally and physically drained to do anything social and been

I am not at all expecting this job to be the perfect job but one small step to trying to get my life back together from when it started to go off the rails in 2009. The job itself is so much slower-paced, closer to my house, and no nightshifts. The salary is technically lower but I will save money on gas, will be paying less in union dues if any at all and will get a $1/hour raise when I finish my Bachelors in Nursing program in August.

As I re-read all of this, I'm wondering how much of this will go as planned and how much will go to Hell in a handbasket. I don't want a perfect life just one that is a semblance of a normal, somewhat healthy life. I am also going back to counseling and continue to work on my issues.

Letching Gray
04-28-17, 07:15 AM
So..... I got a new nursing job in behavioral health. I'll be working on an inpatient psych unit at a totally different hospital system.

It is very, very bittersweet. I worked on a busy and poorly run med-surg unit. My ADHD and med-surg nursing is like oil and water so it was never a good experience and most of the reason that I left. It was so brutal on my already low-self esteem in general and in particular my lack of confidence in bedside nursing skills. The hospital has a lot of issues and my unit is poorly run so it was a perfect storm of mess.

The 2 year and 3 months I spent there made my depression and anxiety worse and did completely derailed my plans for attempting to build a social life as I was too emotionally and physically drained to do anything social and been

I am not at all expecting this job to be the perfect job but one small step to trying to get my life back together from when it started to go off the rails in 2009. The job itself is so much slower-paced, closer to my house, and no nightshifts. The salary is technically lower but I will save money on gas, will be paying less in union dues if any at all and will get a $1/hour raise when I finish my Bachelors in Nursing program in August.

As I re-read all of this, I'm wondering how much of this will go as planned and how much will go to Hell in a handbasket. I don't want a perfect life just one that is a semblance of a normal, somewhat healthy life. I am also going back to counseling and continue to work on my issues.

You've been through a ton. I too hope things will settle down for you. Working in a difficult field with the challenges you have has taken guts and determination. No wonder you are worn down. Good leaders are so dang rare, anywhere, on any level. A good, competent, honest boss is rare and precious. What you have gone through could well be used to prepare you for such a role in the future.

stef
04-28-17, 08:08 AM
I think it's an excellent decision, and a new chance
wishing you the best!

Unmanagable
04-28-17, 08:23 AM
Changes of scenery and switching up the energy flow can do wonders.

Take it easy on yourself as you transition to the new scene.

We have a tendency to kick our own butts at the least of difficulties, so stay mindful of how kindly you respond to those kicks and thoughts.

I'd also recommend actively celebrating your decision and actions in completing such a huge step towards self-care in such a big way.

Rinse and repeat.

We also tend to minimize our accomplishments as we speed on by them to note more of what we perceive and have come to know as our flaws.

Best wishes in your new adventure! Congrats!

dvdnvwls
04-28-17, 12:52 PM
It sounds like you're going to be making similar money (a little bit lower but not much lower) and have a lot less stress and less travel time.

I don't intimately know your situation, but to me that sounds like an excellent move. The only good reason I can see for keeping a high-stress job is that they pay you a ton of extra money to do it. It sounds like in your case you had a high-stress job for just normal pay, and that IMO isn't worth it.

Best wishes in the new place!