View Full Version : Has anyone actually stayed on Intuniv?

Snoopy10
04-25-17, 08:32 AM
Is anyone still on Intuniv? I've been taking it for a week. The first few days I felt calmer and the first night I slept better but now I no longer feel calmer and actually have worse insomnia.

The one good thing is it is cancelling out some side effects of Adderall. I sweat less and get less winded when I run. My appetite is also better and I am eating more which means I bonk less.

I'm only on 1mg still because I'm trying to go up slowly or even stay on a low dose.

I'm just wondering if anyone actually has stayed on this med because all the posts make it seem like people tried it and stopped.

namazu
04-25-17, 11:20 AM
You may know this already, but for people who don't: Intuniv is guanfacine, not clonidine (which is sold as Kapvay for ADHD and Catapres for blood pressure).

They are related drugs, with similar effects and side effects, but they're not identical.

For what it's worth, I have been taking clonidine for the past 7-ish years.

It helps me with physical restlessness more than anything else. I used to have what would probably be called "restless leg syndrome" if not for the fact that I was already diagnosed with ADHD, and the clonidine takes the edge off of it (which helps me -- and my spouse -- sleep at night). It may help a bit with impulsivity, but not as much as physical restlessness.

I don't find that clonidine does much for focus/distractibility, nor does it do much for blood pressure.

I don't think it's caused me any noticeable side effects, but I take other meds for various conditions, so it can be hard to tell. For some people, these meds (both clonidine and guanfacine) cause sedation or lower blood pressure (which is OK if your BP was high to begin with, but not so great if it makes you feel light-headed).

Snoopy10
04-25-17, 11:34 PM
Maybe I should try Clonidine. I gave up on the Intuniv. Something was good about it but my anxiety kept increasing and sleep was non-existent. I never made it up to 2mg, I could still try but I'm impatient...(shocker).

Snoopy10
04-28-17, 11:46 AM
I'm trying the 2mg Intuniv. Will update if it ends up helping.

Snoopy10
05-18-17, 06:51 PM
Quick follow up, I stayed on the 2mg Intuniv for about 2 weeks. It does work. I felt like time was kind of slowing down, I wasn't always rushing and I was early to appointments. It was great. Unfortunately the side effects outweighed the benefits for me. I got insomnia, felt nauseous, became very dehydrated and the skin on my face started to get peely. I also had a chest tightness but I do not know if that was related. So I stopped taking it. There you have it.

Exuberantfrost
07-21-17, 01:43 PM
Quick follow up, I stayed on the 2mg Intuniv for about 2 weeks. It does work. I felt like time was kind of slowing down, I wasn't always rushing and I was early to appointments. It was great. Unfortunately the side effects outweighed the benefits for me. I got insomnia, felt nauseous, became very dehydrated and the skin on my face started to get peely. I also had a chest tightness but I do not know if that was related. So I stopped taking it. There you have it.

Another person comfirming you're own thought/theory about if people always quit taking Guanfacine. Well, I'll most likely join the "club" soon, since I do feel that even though Guanfacine is superior to any other medication I've tried, In terms of treating anxiety. It knocks me to floor with exhaustion, tiredness and dizzines. I feel like an old and weak when I'm on it.