View Full Version : 3 months into Vyanse everything so far good! Except..

AcctUhd456
04-25-17, 06:12 PM
Hello all I take 50 mg vyvanse every morning the last 3 months. I have also been taking Chantix for 7 weeks. I've been taking different ADD meds the last almost 3 years and I am 24.I like Vyanse the best as it has the least side effects to relieving ADHD symptoms for me.

However I've been exercising after taking Vyvanse in the morning and it loses its effectiveness after the gym and I feel like crap after the rest of the day.I have yet to exercise without taking Vyvanse first but I will start tomorrow. I do know for sure that after I come back from the gym I start hyper-focusing and I lose some motivation the rest of the day to do something different or I am more tired to do something that I am suppose to do which means Vyvnase is working less.

I am also starting a job sometime next week and want to also only take my Vyvanse during work/class shifts to lower my dependency as I'm having a hard time just to take a break on weekends. Vyvanse does not last more than 6-7 hours and sometimes(2-3 days at max per week) I may need more coverage of my symptoms(hyper-focus,mentally scattered,disorganized) during work or on campus and I want to ask my doctor on May 8th to add 10mg of Dexedrine as I was prescribed that x 2 before Vyvanse. Is this a good idea?

I have chronic anxiety(GAD) since 2011 and medication is helping me a lot. Is it possible that I can no longer suffer from anxiety with the use of medication OR am I going to have to eventually come off to really become anxiety free again? I've read mixed answers on this issue. :thankyou:

sarahsweets
04-26-17, 04:17 AM
I am also starting a job sometime next week and want to also only take my Vyvanse during work/class shifts to lower my dependency as I'm having a hard time just to take a break on weekends. Vyvanse does not last more than 6-7 hours and sometimes(2-3 days at max per week) I may need more coverage of my symptoms(hyper-focus,mentally scattered,disorganized) during work or on campus and I want to ask my doctor on May 8th to add 10mg of Dexedrine as I was prescribed that x 2 before Vyvanse. Is this a good idea?

Why do you have to lower your dependency? whats wrong with being dependent on a drug to treat your very real condition? Its no different then needing eye glasses, insulin or antidepressants for bipolar. People get so hung up on taking these meds everyday when they have no issues taking their bp meds or vitamins everyday and do not worry about dependence. DO not buy into the hype that these meds are somehow wrong to take daily. Your adhd is daily right?

AcctUhd456
04-26-17, 03:20 PM
Sarah, yes my ADHD is everyday and I agree with you. But what if my tolerance gets high enough to having to take 2 vyanse a day and insurance won't accept it or something? I pay $15 copay with coupon and if I get another vyvanse prescribed than I will have to pay insurance co-pay of $35 for that one. Also why do doctors prescribe a lesser strength of a long release med instead of prescribing the same strength? My doctor does that and I've read on here of some doctors doing that as well.Oh and I just realized I've been using the word "dose" instead of "strength" when describing how the med affects me to my doc which means no wonder he is doing it but idk.

Today I exercised BEFORE taking my med. OMG IT IS WAY BETTER THIS WAY.The last 2 months or less I've been exercising on my med and have been anxious, dysphoric,with heart beating faster than usual the rest of the day thinking vyvanse is aggravating my anxiety like crazy and my dose is too high but still needed the Vyvanse to focus. I FORGOT THAT PSYCHOSTIMULANT MED AND EXERCISE DON'T GO WELL AND CAUSE OTHER SYMPTOMS. But I continued anyway cause the workout felt great and gave me energy/motivation beforehand to go to the gym. Today the energy wasn't there as it was the last couple months and I didn't get a full workout in but that's because it will take me time to get use to exercising without med. On the other hand it is worth it than experiencing that terrible dysphoria the rest of the day. Plus I was content in the morning before the gym because it felt great to do something without being on a med as I felt like myself.

:thankyou:

ShootingStarX
05-15-17, 05:45 PM
As I was part way through I realised this is an old thread. Going to post anyway as others can benefit from it.
We've identified you need help with three things here:

Vyvanse and work outs
Effects wearing off too soon
Anxiety

Let's solve these things one by one.

PSYCHOSTIMULANT MED AND EXERCISE DON'T GO WELL AND CAUSE OTHER SYMPTOMS.
Beat me to it! Congratulations on being aware of that, I'll give you that, but not so much disregarding your intuition. You're probably going to have a heart attack now.

Kidding. You should definitely follow your better judgement to go sober from now, as experience has proven. You will be fine stim gyming every now and then but just like impulse purchases, don't do it too often.

I recommend coffee before workout if needed, then food taken with Vyvanse afterwards. If you want to enhance its duration, then swallow two tablespoons of bicarb soda or eat a lot of alkaline food like green leafy vegetables.

The Vyvanse will be even more effective because of the excercise :)

Your dose seems too high. Your best course of action imo is to lower to 30mg and just before it begins wearing off, take either 5mg, 7.5mg or 10mg Dexedrine - whichever works best for you. That way you should have the goldilocks level of stimulation with all day coverage. Talk to your doctor definitely (I'm sure by now you have) but ultimately go with what feels right for you and your body.

Let's talk anxiety. I have it myself. Vyvanse makes it go up sometimes. Vyvanse makes it go down sometimes. I have the same predictability power of it as guessing a coin toss. One thing is for certain though, anxiety peaks when the Vyvanse wears off. This is sadly inherent to the drug. It seems like Vyvanse can aggravate your anxiety. Taken less will help, along with keeping your blood sugar levels high.

You wanted to know if you're going to need drugs forever or not to keep you from being anxious. Well there's a reason the answers are mixed. Do people who like seafood always like seafood?

kjo
06-30-17, 01:20 PM
Why do you have to lower your dependency? whats wrong with being dependent on a drug to treat your very real condition? Its no different then needing eye glasses, insulin or antidepressants for bipolar. People get so hung up on taking these meds everyday when they have no issues taking their bp meds or vitamins everyday and do not worry about dependence. DO not buy into the hype that these meds are somehow wrong to take daily. Your adhd is daily right?

I get where you are coming from but those other drugs are not stimulants. For most ADHD yes it's every day, but there might be days where that person may not need to be as productive and not want/need to be stimulated!
I don't understand why you have to be so abrasive when respond to people who mention the don't want to take it every day!

sarahsweets
06-30-17, 02:07 PM
I get where you are coming from but those other drugs are not stimulants. For most ADHD yes it's every day, but there might be days where that person may not need to be as productive and not want/need to be stimulated!
I don't understand why you have to be so abrasive when respond to people who mention the don't want to take it every day!

I dont mean to be abrasive and yes, I am guilty of being blunt and direct. My main concern is trying to disspell the myth that you must take breaks to avoid tolerance or taking medication everyday will have horrible adverse effects or that you will always need to increase your dose higher and higher until you are screwed. If you want to take breaks for your own reasons and your doctor says its ok thats fine. I just want to make sure that no one is confused into thinking that taking meds everyday is not the norm because for most people they are. And its great that you have days that you do not need to be productive.I dont look at my meds as making me productive, I look at them as making me functional. I would love to be one of those people that takes adderall and zips through my to-do list but I am not. My adderall prevents me from having a car accident, or from forgetting to pick my kids up on time. It helps me to be a normal mom and get the husband and kids out the door. It helps me keep track of things better. I wish it helped me to accomplish some of my goals but it sort of manages to make me present enough to have potential to either be really productive and get a lot done, or be functional and not be a hazard on the road.