View Full Version : Generic Adderall XR

Cjryan
04-25-17, 06:46 PM
I am trying different medications with my healthcare provider, but unfortunately it is sort of the bling leading the blind as she is a Family Nurse Practitioner without experience in adult ADHD. Psychiatric services are very limited with a long wait time for appointments.

I started 20 mg XR generic Adderall and was only seeing symptoms reduced for about 5-6 hours. She suggested taking a second XR. This worked and got me about 9-10 hours of theraputic coverage. No side affects and I slept wonderfully for 8-9 hours each night. I would really like more like 14-16 hours of coverage for my family.

I suggested an IR booster after the two XRs, but she was very hesitant. I also brought up potentially switching to a methylphenidate based medication. She agreed with that and I started concerta 18mg. I have experienced nothing with the concerta and am not enthusiastic about waiting to titrate for a few weeks to get coverage.

Was this the right direction to go or should I have explored other amphetamine based medications like Vyvanse before switching to methylphenidate? If I metabolize amphetamine salts fast would I metabolize all of the amphetamine based medications fast? Thank you!

sarahsweets
04-26-17, 04:13 AM
I am trying different medications with my healthcare provider, but unfortunately it is sort of the bling leading the blind as she is a Family Nurse Practitioner without experience in adult ADHD. Psychiatric services are very limited with a long wait time for appointments.

I started 20 mg XR generic Adderall and was only seeing symptoms reduced for about 5-6 hours. She suggested taking a second XR. This worked and got me about 9-10 hours of theraputic coverage. No side affects and I slept wonderfully for 8-9 hours each night. I would really like more like 14-16 hours of coverage for my family.
You will not find a med that gives you 14+ hours of coverage. Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 8 hours so taking 2 xr's or 2 xr's with a booster would give you the coverage you needed. I take adderall xr 3 times a day with dex boosters and it works great.

I suggested an IR booster after the two XRs, but she was very hesitant. I also brought up potentially switching to a methylphenidate based medication. She agreed with that and I started concerta 18mg. I have experienced nothing with the concerta and am not enthusiastic about waiting to titrate for a few weeks to get coverage.

I dont think there was anything wrong with wanting a booster and it just highlights her ignorance for her to be suspicious or hesitant to try boosters. I am not sure why you made the jump to methyphenidate because its a different medication and if amphetamines worked well for you it makes more sense to try and tweak them.

Was this the right direction to go or should I have explored other amphetamine based medications like Vyvanse before switching to methylphenidate? If I metabolize amphetamine salts fast would I metabolize all of the amphetamine based medications fast? Thank you!

I dont think you needed to switch medications,I think you needed to add to the medication you were already on.