View Full Version : Homework...A Note to Parents

Letching Gray
04-25-17, 10:47 PM
[Moderator note: This post was split off from another thread on "Homework Tips" from the Teens section so as not to derail the other thread, and so that the topics in this post could be discussed as well. - Namazu]

KEEP IN MIND
Consider that each fact or theory or concept you read about, learn about, incorporate into your long term memory may be retrieved and possibly become a key piece of data that you might use in any number of ways. You never know what information you've acquired that will prove vital to you down the line.

Does anyone know how they figured out how to fix the 1.5 billion dollar Hubble Space Telescope? When it was initially positioned in orbit its image was distorted. The 94.5" primary mirror was off by less than the thickness of a human hair, 2 microns.

Actually, it was the most precise telescope ever made by human hands. It just had a spherical aberration. Well, the answer occurred to James Crocker, a senior engineer at Ball Aerospace Corp., one morning while standing in a shower during a trip to Germany.

Check it out. We don't have to waste any of our experiences. We can learn and keep learning how to do and improve things, all the time.

I couldn't do homework. I couldn't hold/learn info and apply concepts in my mind very well. Would get lost trying to remember my place in long subtraction, addition, division, multiplication. The process of computing the numbers with the t.v. screen in my brain buzzing, blurred my thoughts and muffled the directions I tried to give myself. They were like broken chains and no one knew. Adults did not think I was not-intelligent enough to understand what the numbers represented, or how to add and subtract them. But no one could hear the crackling t.v. screen sound drowning out my thoughts while working the equations.

I was lazy and no good. That was the only explanation. And I believed them, except for some tiny flicker of something way down deep. Perhaps I was just a bad dream. That had to be it. To be stuck inside hell couldn't be my fate. Couldn't be. There had to be someway out of that raging inferno that just got bigger and hotter and more frightening all the time. What am I doing here? How did this happen? How come no one sees and understands I'm not as evil as they say? Can't anyone see me?

Letching Gray
04-25-17, 10:57 PM
Proper diagnosis and treatment can be the start of a new life. I hope parents with kids who are struggling with ADHD will learn everything they can about it. Study it. Read books and articles and talk with others who've found help for their children. You can save your child untold suffering.

Caco3girl
04-26-17, 09:48 AM
Sorry you went through this.

Sounds a lot like what my son went through, what his father put him through. He's getting better now, understanding more, and adapting.

When my 7 year old started to display similar issues I took her in to see a psychiatrist and she was diagnosed ADHD in under 5 minutes. Dad doesn't like the label, doesn't want his "normal" kid on medicine. Court papers say dad's opinion can be expressed but I can do what I want....she's on Rittalin LA and while it's only been a week teachers are saying she is doing better and daughter has only been to the nurse once (she use to escape to the nurse when things overloaded her) and it was for a legitimate injury. That's what matters!

Letching Gray
04-26-17, 09:06 PM
Sorry you went through this.

Sounds a lot like what my son went through, what his father put him through. He's getting better now, understanding more, and adapting.

When my 7 year old started to display similar issues I took her in to see a psychiatrist and she was diagnosed ADHD in under 5 minutes. Dad doesn't like the label, doesn't want his "normal" kid on medicine. Court papers say dad's opinion can be expressed but I can do what I want....she's on Rittalin LA and while it's only been a week teachers are saying she is doing better and daughter has only been to the nurse once (she use to escape to the nurse when things overloaded her) and it was for a legitimate injury. That's what matters!

Note: a proper diagnoses generally requires much more time, much of it spent taking and reviewing one's personal history. While your son may have ADHD and your daughter may exhibit many similar characteristics, it is nevertheless possible she suffers from a different condition, or ADHD plus other conditions. To skimp in any way on a thorough medical doctor's examination, performed by one who is trained and experienced in pediatric ADHD, is, IMO, a huge and potentially dangerous mistake. Boys often display different symptoms than do girls.

If the public only knew! If they only got it! ADHD kids have gobs and gobs of unused potential. Many do. Not all, but many, many, many. To be held hostage by ignorance is a cruel and unnecessary way to be forced to live. Playing sports with 2 broken legs is a tough way to measure up. Oh! the misery kids and adults could avoid with medical help for this darn disorder. Everything that can be done to educate others is significant.

Sure, some doctors over-diagnose and over-prescribe or misdiagnose. What's new? Sure ADHD drugs have addictive potential. Running from life, because we are not receiving medical intervention, isn't exactly a healthy way to live, either.