View Full Version : Help Please?

nad5seven
04-26-17, 07:38 AM
Basically I was wondering if I might have ADHD.

It probably sounds really stupid but I talked to a friend and she was telling me about this guy she was seeing who had ADHD and we started talking about how similar some of the things he did and I do were. I've never been diagnosed with anything but have been told it is likely I sufferer from depression and anxiety. She was talking about how he often had outburst of anger, got repeatedly distracted, lost things, was constantly late, interrupted people and fidgeted alot. These are things I do frequently. At first I found it funny and then started thinking a bit more about it and started looking a the NHS list of symptoms.

I'm so tired of being disorganised and my life is a mess. I hand in uni assignments late, fail modules and find it impossible to sit still in lectures and pay attention. Frequently I'll mess up assignments despite reading the brief or forget to go to appointments. I can't focus on anything for more than 20 minutes (I'm supposed to be writing an essay right now, instead I'm writing this - it's going to be overdue) and frequently zone out basically at anytime and often have to ask people to repeat things. I've done a lot of research into productivity, downloaded apps and used list but I can't seem to stay on top things despite how hard i try, i just lose focus or mess up.

I use to drink quite a lot and have recently given up drinking and thought my disorganisation was to do with that. To be honest while I enjoy not waking up hung-over all the time I'm still super disorganised and my brain feels like it is all over the place all of the time.

I'm just wondering if I should try and get diagnosed? Or am I wasting NHS time? Plus how would I go about getting a diagnosis I'm a uni student and I've talked to psychological services but they said it could be anxiety and depression and haven't got back to me with another appointment. Should I go to a G.P or just try harder at uni?

A friend suggested I give up smoking pot but I only smoke occasionally about once a week.

DJ Bill
04-26-17, 01:22 PM
Try dumping the pot use first. But yes, it sounds like some classical attention symptoms. Even if they treat the Anxiety and Depression it will be a start. Perhaps during treatment the ADHD diagnosis may be made. IF the docs are anything like many in the US, they want to eliminate any other diagnosis first, especially depression.

sarahsweets
04-26-17, 01:35 PM
You cant possibly give yourself an objective observation if you are smoking pot. I would stop that first.

dormammau2008
04-26-17, 06:48 PM
good point sarahsweets .....

finallyfound10
04-26-17, 07:40 PM
It sounds likely but you would have to go to a doctor to get an official diagnosis. The pot smoking doesn't help with inattention and distraction but there are meds that do.

BTW, I believe in marijuana as a treatment for the conditions that it has been proven to help. If it helped ADHD and was legal in my state for it, I would take it.

ToneTone
04-26-17, 08:45 PM
You mentioned two other issues: depression and anxiety.

Have you ever been treated for those? ... Those conditions need to be addressed whether you get an ADHD diagnosis or not. Both are serious and majorly debilitating.

Good luck.

Tone

aur462
04-27-17, 01:10 AM
I'm just wondering if I should try and get diagnosed? Or am I wasting NHS time? Plus how would I go about getting a diagnosis I'm a uni student and I've talked to psychological services but they said it could be anxiety and depression and haven't got back to me with another appointment. Should I go to a G.P or just try harder at uni?

It sounds, as I would have imagined, the psych services at uni are useless for anything like this. I would go to a psychiatrist outright unless you have a good relationship with a GP. Even then, from my experience I would go to a psychiatrist as a good one can recognize symptoms by simply observing you.

You mentioned two other issues: depression and anxiety.

This. Anxiety and depression are often friends, and after adding ADHD to the mix I'm pretty sure they all party together. There's a lot of potential for nuance and enigma, and again, I'd try a psychiatrist.

tearsong
04-27-17, 09:24 PM
Instead of psychology services, try the Center for Students with Disabilities (or whatever else they call it) at your school, if they have one. At least in the US, they are very different things, but they might be able to point you in the right direction in terms of testing if the psych services aren't helpful?

(The CSD handles student accommodations, rather than actually diagnosing or treating people, but they might be more responsive!)

If not, I'd probably pester psych services for a follow-up... I've read from various EU/UK people that getting an ADHD diagnosis is more difficult over there... They might have a referral to a better-informed doctor, if they can't handle the assessment themselves. (I have no idea how that works with insurance over there, sorry!)