View Full Version : IR vs XR: How to Tell?

tearsong
04-26-17, 12:15 PM
So... Stupid questions...

I had taken Vyvanse (40mg) for almost 2 years (with a summer break because of a lapse in insurance). I did like the intense focus that Vyvanse provided, something I took for granted until I took a 3 week hiatus from it. However, I realized that Vyvanse was causing some side effects that I really didn't like, so I asked to be switched. (The hiatus happened after I figured out it was causing me to basically be in an 'anxious state' if I didn't get enough sleep, but it was also affecting my sleep even after I managed to fall unconscious!)...

As a result, about a week ago, I went to Adderall and was prescribed 30mg of Adderall 1x per day. I LOVE the fact that I can actually fall asleep fairly quickly, the 'crash' that comes when it wears off is actually a blessing in disguise, because I don't lay awake for as many hours on end. (Which has been the case since I was a kid, even when I'm not on any meds.) It also doesn't seem to affect the depth of sleep, so I wake up actually rested!

That said... 2 questions:

I don't have the 'stimulating' effect of Vyvanse... I don't mean like downing 10 RedBulls, but not even so much an effect as using a cup of coffee to wake up, as most people do! (I *hate* the taste of coffee so I have no idea what it would be like to drink a whole cup, and have never really had much of an effect from drinking soda literally all day, but which I stopped doing when I started Vyvanse.) Vyvanse did give me a bit of that 'energy boost,' but Adderall doesn't seem to.

1) Will increasing the dose of Adderall provide any sort of increase in energy, or is it sort of an "if it ain't there (because chemistry), it isn't ever going to be there"?

2) Secondarily, the Adderall lasts a measurable 4.5-5 hours before the crash hits... (And at that 'crash' point, I'm barely awake/functional; but I'm also afraid to nap because I might screw up the good sleep schedule I have right now!) When prescribed as a 1x per day regime, do you usually get XR by default? Is there a way to tell which version (IR vs XR) that you have?

I'm only supposed to take it 1x per day, but I DEFINITELY need more than 5 hours of productivity!

According to what I've found by Googling, XR is supposed to last 12+ hours, and IR is supposed to last 4-6. Is it possible that I've been given IR by the pharmacy instead of XR, even though I'm only supposed to take it 1x/day? Should the psychiatrist have specified XR/IR in the prescription? (Neither IR or XR were listed, it just said Adderall, 30 mg, 1x per day.)

Based on Vyvanse being an XR, and my wanting more control over it, I had asked to try IR. I'd assumed that IR was something you just had to take 2-3x per day, and I also assumed (based on the frequency of the prescription) that she had forgotten that request and given me XR anyway... But even if that was her intent, I'm not so sure that this is what I actually have...

When looking at Drugs.com, it seems like XR is a capsule, while IR looks like a (usually round) pill with no plastic... The version I have is the round pink pill, no plastic. (That said, I'm not sure that means anything as I went with the generic; because $10 is better than $150 or so...)

The images I'd found:
https://www.drugs.com/adderall-images.html
https://www.drugs.com/adderall-xr-images.html

Thanks!

tearsong
04-26-17, 02:35 PM
And a third question, I guess... With IR, how often do you typically take them? 2-3x / day?

Little Missy
04-26-17, 04:09 PM
Ask your doctor.

tearsong
04-26-17, 06:18 PM
I was in the process of writing an email to her, given that I had no idea whether I even had XR or IR, since the prescription didn't say... (Pretty sure I've figured out (on my own) that I have IR, though.)

But hey, thanks for the truly helpful response

BlueCola
04-26-17, 08:16 PM
When a prescriber writes an Rx for a C2, they specify exactly which medication to give - name, strength, directions. These can't be altered by the pharmacy.

That said, if you have tablets, then you have instant release. If you have capsules, you have extended release. Number 1 would have to be discussed with your MD.

BlackWarrior
04-26-17, 11:30 PM
Tablet = IR
Capsule = XR

tearsong
04-27-17, 03:27 AM
When a prescriber writes an Rx for a C2, they specify exactly which medication to give - name, strength, directions. These can't be altered by the pharmacy.

I have a picture of my prescription... It says #30 [30 tablets], Adderall 20mg, 1x per day.
It specifies neither IR or XR. It wasn't 'altered' by the pharmacy so much as 'assumed,' I think...

That said, if you have tablets, then you have instant release. If you have capsules, you have extended release. Number 1 would have to be discussed with your MD.
Thanks!
I must have IR... Which is weird to have specified 1/day, because IR is only supposed to last 4-6 hours (according to what I can find via Google)... Even normal adult workdays (let alone graduate student class days) are longer than that!

The directions are what made me think she might have meant the XR version, since I'm not taking it in addition to anything else...
But I also didn't want to seem like I was looking for more pills in the bad way (IE: as an addict / or selling them), either! (Since I actually seem to do well on the IR version, vs Vyvanse which lasted too long.)

sarahsweets
04-27-17, 05:28 AM
XR isnt meant to last more than 8 6-8 hours, Ir 4-6.

tearsong
04-27-17, 06:49 AM
XR isnt meant to last more than 8 6-8 hours, Ir 4-6.

I guess that's why I've seen people say that they still take an IR later in the day... Thanks; I had some idea of how the XR worked (a delayed second dose), but don't know that I realized it was still only 6-8 hrs in duration.

I was thinking 8-10+ because as far as I understand, it's just a double consecutive IR dose (4-6 hrs) without having to remember to take a pill. But I guess that sort of makes sense if the second dose releases at 2-3 hours regardless, just to be sure that you don't have a crash in between...