View Full Version : Adderall XR 10mg (newbie questions)

akbar77
04-26-17, 12:27 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and came across this while researching Adderall. I had my family doctor prescribe it to me because I've been having problems focusing on school work the last few years which has caused me to do poorly in college. Well, I've been taking it the last few days and I have to say it's like putting on glasses for the first time and being able to see what you couldn't see. I am actually able to think clearly! I am able to study for more than 30mins-1hr and retain the info, I can actually hold conversations with people a lot better. I feel like I've been missing out on everything the last few years until I started Adderall. I noticed I started having problems focusing in school when I hit 10th or 11th grade. I stumbled through my AA degree and am starting back up (for the 3rd time, hence my school problems) on my bachelors now. As I got older the focusing has gotten worse.

So, I think Adderall is working for me? If this is what its supposed to help with then it is I guess, but I am scared. It is essentially meth in low doses. I am worried about future side effects, dependency, and possibly having to up the dosage to feel the same benefits. What do you all think about this? Should take 1 pill/day or just as needed maybe 3 or 4 times a week? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thank you for reading and your input!:)

Little Missy
04-26-17, 01:01 PM
It most definitely is not even close to meth and you should take it exactly as it is prescribed to you by your doctor. :)

sarahsweets
04-26-17, 01:47 PM
Hello! I am new to this forum and came across this while researching Adderall. I had my family doctor prescribe it to me because I've been having problems focusing on school work the last few years which has caused me to do poorly in college. Well, I've been taking it the last few days and I have to say it's like putting on glasses for the first time and being able to see what you couldn't see. I am actually able to think clearly! I am able to study for more than 30mins-1hr and retain the info, I can actually hold conversations with people a lot better. I feel like I've been missing out on everything the last few years until I started Adderall. I noticed I started having problems focusing in school when I hit 10th or 11th grade. I stumbled through my AA degree and am starting back up (for the 3rd time, hence my school problems) on my bachelors now. As I got older the focusing has gotten worse.
ADHD symptoms must have been present before age 12 and impair your life in 6 or more areas of your life in 2 or more ways. Many times people are not diagnosed until later in life for a variety of reasons but the symptoms themselves are impairing and noticeable at a young age.

So, I think Adderall is working for me? If this is what its supposed to help with then it is I guess, but I am scared. It is essentially meth in low doses.
I know you didnt mean anything by this but its offensive for anyone to say adderall is basically meth. Just because the word "amphetamine" is in adderall doesnt mean its meth. Meth and adderall are similar in that they are a stimulant but chemically the ingredients are vastly different. Those of us who are prescribed adderall are not taking something made with sudafed and paint thinner.

I am worried about future side effects, dependency, and possibly having to up the dosage to feel the same benefits. What do you all think about this? Should take 1 pill/day or just as needed maybe 3 or 4 times a week? Any and all feedback is welcomed. Thank you for reading and your input!:)
So what if you become dependent? If you have adhd then you have it everyday. Its no different then someone who takes blood pressure meds, or bipolar medication everyday. If you need it for adhd then you will most likely need it everyday.

Lunacie
04-26-17, 02:05 PM
You compared the effect of taking the Adderall to having blurry vision and then
putting on eyeglasses.

I definitely depend on my glasses, but I'm not addicted to them, they don't give
me euphoria or a rush. I simply need them to get on with life.

If you look at your adderall prescription in the same way as a script for glasses,
you'll have your answer as to whether you should take it every day or not.

akbar77
04-26-17, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the info Sarah. Please forgive my ignorance on the meth comparison, I heard they were similar, which on a molecular level they are, only Adderall isn't nearly as strong. I'm still very new to ADD/ADHD and am learning how these drugs will effect me now and in the long run.

Have any of you had to up your dosages, and if you did after what time and how much?

sarahsweets
04-27-17, 05:51 AM
Thank you for the info Sarah. Please forgive my ignorance on the meth comparison, I heard they were similar, which on a molecular level they are, only Adderall isn't nearly as strong. I'm still very new to ADD/ADHD and am learning how these drugs will effect me now and in the long run.

Have any of you had to up your dosages, and if you did after what time and how much?

I have been on stimulants for over 13 years. My adderall dose had been the same for about 10 years- 20mg xr three times a day. Due to absorption issues it has increased to 20mg xr three times a day and 2 10mg dex ir twice a day. I never bought into the whole "fast metabolizer" thing until it happened to me and my doctor explained it.

ToneTone
04-27-17, 06:27 PM
Make sure to check for depression and anxiety.

You know ADHD is complicated. One, the condition makes it hard to think clearly as focus is required for clear thinking ... and if our minds jump around, we can get to a great insight and instead of settling into that insight and acting upon it, our minds can bounce away to another thought ... leaving that insight stranded and un-acted on ...

The condition can make decision-making really hard. I describe my pre-treatment brain as a loud committee of ten people arguing their points. There was no once in charge. Once my meds started working and I think with the help of a really great therapist I can now make decisions ... because it's understood that no decision is perfect ... and decisions can often be reversed ...

Depression also interferes with focus and clear thinking ... anxiety as well interferes with focus and clear thinking ... So you may wanna pay some attention to those issues as well ... The way you were quick to label Adderall as meth reminds me of the way I would think when I was suffering depression. I would start off by focusing on the worst possibly reading of a situation ... and then get afraid and hesitant before I had even taken a first step ... I would end up paralyzed in making a decision ... I also had this pathological fear of making a mistake. Maybe that was anxiety.

So make sure you to get checked for depression and/or anxiety ... May not be an issue, of course, but check. ADHD and depression and anxiety very often run together.

BTW: I think the eyeglasses to stimulants analogy is apt and on target. People with weak eyes need the ongoing support of eyeglasses. There are people who cannot function without eyeglasses ... can't hold jobs if it were not for eyeglasses ... I just heard a lecture by a major anthropology scholar a few weeks ago ... in which he said, "look had I been on the planet 200 years ago, I wouldn't be able to do any of the work I do now." He does what he does with the absolutely necessary assistance of eyeglasses.

My dentist requires use of an extremely bright light in order to see into my mouth. He's the best dentist I've ever been to ... and the only one to use this powerful electric light that he wears on his forehead. Is he addicted to his use of this special light? ... I don't know ... I know that he requires use of this light to function on his job, and many other dentists don't.

Good luck.

Tone

akbar77
05-14-17, 12:41 PM
Thanks a lot everyone! I have been on Adderall the last few weeks and its helped a lot. I don't get as much of a "high" as when I first took it, but it seems to be doing its job. Only issue I have is it only lasts about 4 hours and I have the XR. I'm think maybe I need to take 2 doses a day? Or increase the mg? What do you think?