View Full Version : ADD Primary Inattentive

Emma1904
04-27-17, 07:35 AM
Hi,

My son is ADD PI, I'm struggling to find other parents or careers with children when have this subtype. Is there any one on here at all?

Thanks

namazu
04-27-17, 11:18 AM
Hi Emma,

Welcome to ADDF.

There are a number of parents of kids whose symptoms are primarily "inattentive", and many adults here who identify with that profile as well.

You're in the right place!

Caco3girl
04-27-17, 02:57 PM
Hi,

My son is ADD PI, I'm struggling to find other parents or careers with children when have this subtype. Is there any one on here at all?

Thanks

THAT'S MY BOY! 14 year old 9th grader, diagnosed last year as being ADHD inattentive type...although he does have impulse issues now that I know what those are. A bit of tapping, a bit of throwing up a ball and catching it, not realizing he was humming, has to touch the door jam on his way out of a classroom....and he is about as mature as a 6th grader.

angelover02740
05-09-17, 11:08 AM
Thats my child as well... We are still trying to find the right dosage but I feel like its a struggle because Im not seeing much improvement

dvdnvwls
05-09-17, 02:06 PM
angelover... What kind of improvement are you looking for?

Caco3girl
05-11-17, 11:55 AM
Thats my child as well... We are still trying to find the right dosage but I feel like its a struggle because Im not seeing much improvement

Everyone is different but I can tell you what worked for my kid:
1. Concerta 54mg in morning
2. Adderal 20mg at 6am, 20mg at 12:15pm
3. Adderal XR 40mg in morning

All of those worked well for him...it's been kind of interesting seeing his personality start to shine through rather than the stoned surfer dude thing he's had going on for the last 3 years or so! I say "kind of interesting" because apparently my kid is a smart ****...can't imagine where he gets that from!:scratch:

Celestedu
06-28-17, 06:07 AM
My son is 10 and is also inattentive however he seems to fit the SCT 'label' more.
He's been on Ritalin and Concerta which I don't think helped that much. He's in a remedial school with smaller classes at the moment.

Unfortunately in my country we only have 3 types of ADHD meds.

I've been doing a lot of reading about nootropics and giving that a try before attempting Stratterra.

Caco3girl
06-29-17, 10:38 AM
I think at age 10 it would be hard to tell if it's working because at age 10 the schools in the US are still hand holding children because they know they will forget things, so they remind them 10 times when the test is, what to study for it, talk about the big project every day for a week...etc. It was around age 12 where he struggled to pass his classes because the teachers didn't repeat things 5 times, only one of which he caught. At age 12 he didn't catch it and was surprised when a test was coming up or a project was due.

Davidsmom
09-26-17, 03:19 PM
My son was diagnosed with ADD- Inattentive back in grade 5. He was on Concerta 36mg. x2. He is now 15 entering grade 10. In grade 8 we noticed some discrepancies in the way he studied; downloading class topics. This is when we noticed class notes were minimal. Entering high school we had him identified and put on an IEP so that he could access teachers' notes. This has been to no avail. He spent 20 + hours studying for exams and walked away with 60s. So back to psychologist we went who diagnosed him with SCT and also advised that the Concerta may not be working. We switched to Vyvanse 50mgx1. But he may not yet be on the right dosage. He gets very distracted while doing h/w. Does not finish simple in class tasks. He is having temper tantrums that he was never prone to. He just spent the weekend studying for a unit test yet forgot the material he studied. I don't think Vyvanse is working. But with the new diagnoses could it be he just isn't registering the lessons? We tried to get a smarten for him but our school board has an issue as it may have an impact on the teachers if something said is taken out of context. Anyone have any accommodations that assist the working memory other than meds?? Tx.

jaznia15
09-28-17, 05:14 PM
I am in the process of getting my 10 year old son evaluated and this is the subtype that I think he has. He lacks focus and organization, but has no hyperactivity. I will definitely keep you posted on the final verdict.

WhiteOwl
10-01-17, 03:38 PM
My 13 yr old son has primarily attentive, which is what I have. He has had some impulse issues, but has never been hyperactive. My 10 yr old daughter is the one with hyperactivity. I can't even deal with her when she's off her meds, she's like a wild animal.

My son is now taking 27mg of Concerta, which is kind of a low dose and I feel like he could be doing better with his forgetfulness, but he does seem to be able to focus and pay attention pretty well. When he was on a higher dose, he seemed zombified and never wanted to come out of his room or talk to anyone, so we lowered it. My daughter was also zombified on a higher dose and would just sit and twirl her hair, it was kind of creepy. You just have to find the right dosage. I've wondered if there were other meds that would be better, but after taking so long to find the right dose with Concerta, I am hesitant to try switching, and they do seem to be doing good on the Concerta now.

sarahsweets
10-10-17, 04:15 AM
My son was diagnosed with ADD- Inattentive back in grade 5. He was on Concerta 36mg. x2. He is now 15 entering grade 10. In grade 8 we noticed some discrepancies in the way he studied; downloading class topics. This is when we noticed class notes were minimal. Entering high school we had him identified and put on an IEP so that he could access teachers' notes. This has been to no avail. He spent 20 + hours studying for exams and walked away with 60s. So back to psychologist we went who diagnosed him with SCT and also advised that the Concerta may not be working.
I am not saying I dont believe in SCT but as far as I know it hasnt been officially been recognized by the DSM has it? Its always been something I thought was at least limited to adults. What makes you think its sct vs PI?

We switched to Vyvanse 50mgx1. But he may not yet be on the right dosage. He gets very distracted while doing h/w. Does not finish simple in class tasks. He is having temper tantrums that he was never prone to. He just spent the weekend studying for a unit test yet forgot the material he studied. I don't think Vyvanse is working. But with the new diagnoses could it be he just isn't registering the lessons? We tried to get a smarten for him but our school board has an issue as it may have an impact on the teachers if something said is taken out of context. Anyone have any accommodations that assist the working memory other than meds?? Tx.

What is a smarten?

Caco3girl
10-10-17, 08:18 AM
I am not saying I dont believe in SCT but as far as I know it hasnt been officially been recognized by the DSM has it? Its always been something I thought was at least limited to adults. What makes you think its sct vs PI?

What is a smarten?

Spell check got her. She meant a smart PEN. It records as the kid takes notes and when a kid puts the smart pen back on the section of notes he took he can hear the teacher talking...i.e. the pen goes back and replays what the teacher said during that moment.