View Full Version : Medical coder/coding?

Chicky75
04-27-17, 04:48 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience doing medical coding?

I'm looking for a job that I can re-train for fairly quickly, that I can not think about when I'm not working (unlike my current job), and that possibly give me the option of working from home. This seems to be the one that fits all of those criteria while also having jobs available that pay decently, as well as something that I'm interested in and think I'd be good at.

So I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience in this field and what was good/bad about it. I am a little worried about getting bored, but at the same time, if I am let to just get on with it and able to have my Pomodoro timer and headphones, I also think there's a chance that this career is something I could totally hyper focus on.

A little more background: I've been in a really bad period of depression for the last year, which lead to me taking a 3 month leave of absence from work and eventually re-evaluating my life in general.

I don't want to go back to work at my current job because although I love it, it ends up consuming all of my mental resources. I've been going through some intensive therapy during my leave, and I know that a lot of that effort and work will be undone if I throw myself back into my job.

Also, during this leave, I've had a chance to really explore some interests & hobbies that I haven't had time to concentrate on in years, that I know will fall by the wayside if I go back. If I'm able to find a job that lets me work from home, hopefully I'll have more flexibility to keep up with those.