View Full Version : Decided to go to the doctor like a cry baby

sarahsweets
04-28-17, 11:30 AM
SO I am currently on hold with my doctor's office because they just opened. I am breaking down and hoping to get in with my doctor about the pain I am in. I feel weak and like I have no right to ask because so many people suffer more than me, but I cant take it right now. The swelling in my hands and pain/numbness is really bad. I am having trouble driving and dropping stuff all over the place. I can only hope I can see my personal doctor because I cant imagine trying to go in with a new doc and explain all this because it would look suspicious I think.
I have been trying tumeric, valerian root, joint supplements and of course the lame tylenol. My BP has been high for a week and I am already on blood pressure medication.
I feel like my mood is definitely sucking due to quality of life issues. I cant see the neurologist for two months because thats the soonest appointment. The more I learn about sicca syndrome, the more I identify and wish I had a handle on it better. Its not that I think my life is over its just a new thing to learn to manage. I am not sure what can be done for me today considering I cant take NSAID's and I learned my lesson with that!
I dont know if they will change or increase my bp medicine but we shall see. I dont know what else to do.

Unmanagable
04-28-17, 12:02 PM
Seeking relief from severe pain is NOT being a cry baby, on any level or in any arena. Tell that automatic default self-talk stuff to stfu and leave you alone while you're trying to meet your needs.

Can you do epsom salt baths with your blood pressure issues? Those are incredibly helpful for some of my pains, so much so I often start my day with one instead of ending the day with it, but I have different pains, so not sure how effective it would be.

Magnesium gel is another helpful thing I add to my coconut oil and apply to all the hurting places. It stings just a little, but the sting eventually fades. I add it to my daily moisturizer, too. Castor oil is a regular additive, too.

Have you tried looking up specific acupressure points for the specific areas of pain? Or tapping (EFT)? The acupuncture stuff is all about moving the internal energy (qi) around (in my limited translation of it), so maybe those two things might help?

I also know when you feel like s*** the last thing you have energy and patience for is more f'n research, but there's always that thin thread of hope that maybe the next thing will be THE thing that helps, at least a little.

May some form of relief make it's way to you ASAP. Sorry you're suffering so greatly. :(

sarahsweets
04-28-17, 12:28 PM
Thanks that was so kindly worded and sweet. I should look up some pressure and accupuncture points, good idea. The good news is I got an appt with my old accupuncturist on thursday next week and she still does a sliding scale fee schedule starting at 25$ which I think is a bargain. I also found my gift card from christmas for a 50 min massage so I asked my brother ( who is a nurse, pt massage therapist and reiki dude) who he recommends there that is a woman (has to be a woman for me) and he is going to get back to me.
I found some old lidocaine gel which is helping. Not sure about the epsom salt soak but one thing I do frequently is soak my feet in epsom salt and warm/hot water because they go numb and turn white frequently. I'll take a ride over to my mom+pop alt health store-I dont believe in the chains and see what they have. I also heard that its better to figure out how to use actual tumeric root then the supplement so I asked my earthy crunchy friend and she gave me a piece and told me to keep it in the freezer until I use it. Have you ever used tumeric root before?

Seeking relief from severe pain is NOT being a cry baby, on any level or in any arena. Tell that automatic default self-talk stuff to stfu and leave you alone while you're trying to meet your needs.

Can you do epsom salt baths with your blood pressure issues? Those are incredibly helpful for some of my pains, so much so I often start my day with one instead of ending the day with it, but I have different pains, so not sure how effective it would be.

Magnesium gel is another helpful thing I add to my coconut oil and apply to all the hurting places. It stings just a little, but the sting eventually fades. I add it to my daily moisturizer, too. Castor oil is a regular additive, too.

Have you tried looking up specific acupressure points for the specific areas of pain? Or tapping (EFT)? The acupuncture stuff is all about moving the internal energy (qi) around (in my limited translation of it), so maybe those two things might help?

I also know when you feel like s*** the last thing you have energy and patience for is more f'n research, but there's always that thin thread of hope that maybe the next thing will be THE thing that helps, at least a little.

May some form of relief make it's way to you ASAP. Sorry you're suffering so greatly. :(

Unmanagable
04-28-17, 12:43 PM
I've used the actual root juicing a few times, but otherwise only in powdered form as seasoning and in capsule form.

Celery, ginger, apple and turmeric and/or carrot, orange, ginger, and turmeric were some of my favorites. It's not readily available in my local stores and I have to make a special trip to get it.

sarahsweets
04-28-17, 01:55 PM
I've used the actual root juicing a few times, but otherwise only in powdered form as seasoning and in capsule form.

Celery, ginger, apple and turmeric and/or carrot, orange, ginger, and turmeric were some of my favorites. It's not readily available in my local stores and I have to make a special trip to get it.

Actually I just texted my husband about coming up with a virgin slushy drink for me to use up our extra limes and add the root to it. Its like sorta fake drinking but more about being resourceful.

Lunacie
04-28-17, 02:52 PM
Call the neurologist's office and tell them how bad the pain is and ask for them
to let you know if anyone cancels and a spot opens before your appointment.

midnightstar
04-28-17, 03:02 PM
You don't deserve to suffer, sarah :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
04-28-17, 04:26 PM
The last thing you are is a crybaby. Please try to get as much help as possible. You don't deserve to suffer so much. :(
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

psychopathetic
04-28-17, 04:53 PM
Sarah...lol...you are so incredibly sweet. (((Sweets))) It saddens me that you feel like you don't deserve the help because others suffer. What a wonderful heart you have for that though!
I'm so glad you made it to your doctor's. I hope so much that they can find something to help...dang Sweets...you SO deserve it!
Sure there's others who suffer more than you. But you can't help that, and you do what you can when you can to help others in need. I know I don't know you in real life, but I've seen it (and have experienced it from you first hand!) time and time again on these forums...just how kind, loving and uplifting you are for others...I've no doubt you're the same in the 3d world as well.
It's okay to show yourself some of that same compassion you know? You're a wonderful person and just as deserving as anyone.

Looking forward to an update from ya. I'm really hoping it's a good one!

((((((((((((((Sweets))))))))))))))

psychopathetic
04-28-17, 05:01 PM
Tell that automatic default self-talk stuff to stfu and leave you alone while you're trying to meet your needs.

haha I completely second, and love this! :yes: :goodpost:

Letching Gray
04-28-17, 06:40 PM
SO I am currently on hold with my doctor's office because they just opened. I am breaking down and hoping to get in with my doctor about the pain I am in. I feel weak and like I have no right to ask because so many people suffer more than me, but I cant take it right now. The swelling in my hands and pain/numbness is really bad. I am having trouble driving and dropping stuff all over the place. I can only hope I can see my personal doctor because I cant imagine trying to go in with a new doc and explain all this because it would look suspicious I think.
I have been trying tumeric, valerian root, joint supplements and of course the lame tylenol. My BP has been high for a week and I am already on blood pressure medication.
I feel like my mood is definitely sucking due to quality of life issues. I cant see the neurologist for two months because thats the soonest appointment. The more I learn about sicca syndrome, the more I identify and wish I had a handle on it better. Its not that I think my life is over its just a new thing to learn to manage. I am not sure what can be done for me today considering I cant take NSAID's and I learned my lesson with that!
I dont know if they will change or increase my bp medicine but we shall see. I dont know what else to do.

Get yourself a soothing back-rub, a steam or sauna, and go sit for a spell in your local YMCA swimming pool and move around a little in the water.

That's an order--which is exactly what you would do for your daughter in the same circumstances. Treat yourself a little. We are counting on you

Letching Gray
04-28-17, 06:45 PM
Sarah...lol...you are so incredibly sweet. (((Sweets))) It saddens me that you feel like you don't deserve the help because others suffer. What a wonderful heart you have for that though!
I'm so glad you made it to your doctor's. I hope so much that they can find something to help...dang Sweets...you SO deserve it!
Sure there's others who suffer more than you. But you can't help that, and you do what you can when you can to help others in need. I know I don't know you in real life, but I've seen it (and have experienced it from you first hand!) time and time again on these forums...just how kind, loving and uplifting you are for others...I've no doubt you're the same in the 3d world as well.
It's okay to show yourself some of that same compassion you know? You're a wonderful person and just as deserving as anyone.

Looking forward to an update from ya. I'm really hoping it's a good one!

I was just wondering if Ms. Sweets actually bothers to read the lovely things others have to say about her? !! (Seems to me she has an army of devoted fans around here)

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 05:29 AM
You guys are wonderful. Not that it matters what other people think, its still nice that I have such support. I have rattled a lot of cages here pre-sobriety and even post sobriety and its one of those things that can make a girl wonder if anyone cares- which is totally selfish and ego driven. Still I am glad you all do.

So the doc went well. We talked about a lot of things and she decided to prescribe a narcotic- sort of like a rescue med for the worst of it.I had to do some soul searching because there are people who are sober and in AA that think suffering is the way to go, because any substance with the potential for abuse is a no-no. I do not believe that so long as the medical need is there and your motives are true. Thankfully I never had a pill issue so I think I should be ok. I let me network know about it and of course the husband knows so I am accountable. Its the lowest dose and she said I could cut them in half if I wanted and allows me to take no more than 1 a day. She did say not to wait until pain was so severe, but also to learn to balance pain with discomfort. No one will be pain free forever but at least I wont feel I am dying.
I took half of one last night and the relief was tremendous! Even this morning, I feel so much better so I think its a good temporary solution.

@Lunacie- thats a great idea and Ill call monday. I dont think the Neuro will be that integral to things but its part of ruling stuff out and making sure there is no nerve damage.
Today I am going to call about the massage appt.
@ letching-
I do not have a ymca with a gym and I wouldnt be able to afford one anyway but the doc and Unmangeable both suggested epsom soaks and that stuff is cheap at the dollar store.
More to follow, love to you all.
xxxooo

Fuzzy12
04-29-17, 06:28 AM
So glad to.read thst. A little bit of relief. Thanks for the update. :grouphug:

C15H25N3O
04-29-17, 06:44 AM
Have you ever been checked for fibromyalgia?

VoxPopuli
04-29-17, 07:12 AM
SA is a difficult and scary thing to manage through, saying a prayer for you. I believe (and I know) God sees us through (and in) our struggles.

If you found some relief, then that will allow you to address the underlying structural/psychological components. You sound like you know the drill and trust your network, and you have your accountability partner nearby to make sure the consequences are "near"...sounds like you're grabbing this bull by the horns, good luck!

I too would like to hear an update when you get a chance!

psychopathetic
04-29-17, 07:23 AM
I took half of one last night and the relief was tremendous!

This makes me so happy! :)

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 07:57 AM
Have you ever been checked for fibromyalgia?

Ive had so much blood work that I believe they have ruled that out along with lupus and lymes. I am currently diagnosed with "reactive arthritis " which began after I had been sick for a month and it took two antibiotics to clear it up. Two weeks after I was well I started having issues like holding onto the steering wheel, dexterity, swelling and numbness. Then it travelled to my knees and back. With the Sicca syndrome (also know as Sjogren’s) it goes beyond the dryness of the eyes, nasal passages and throat. Its an autoimmune disease that accompanies autoimmune arthritis so I get all the goodies with both. At least it explains the eye dryness, irritation, eye infections and severe light sensitivity. I actual keep a doctor's note in my car explaining why I wear sunglasses at night and have chronic redness, and bloodshot watery eyes in case I get pulled over.

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 09:11 AM
SA is a difficult and scary thing to manage through, saying a prayer for you. I believe (and I know) God sees us through (and in) our struggles.

If you found some relief, then that will allow you to address the underlying structural/psychological components. You sound like you know the drill and trust your network, and you have your accountability partner nearby to make sure the consequences are "near"...sounds like you're grabbing this bull by the horns, good luck!

I too would like to hear an update when you get a chance!

When you say SA what do you mean? Is it an abbreviation of sicca syndrome?

VoxPopuli
04-30-17, 06:01 AM
When you say SA what do you mean? Is it an abbreviation of sicca syndrome?

No, sorry...it should have read SAR (Substance Abuse Recovery). My understanding from your post is that you are recovering, and I meant to acknowledge the anguish one goes through when trying to decide how "bad" pain is...and how much more difficult it is to have to decide whether to suffer-through, or to seek relief from legitimate pain that would likely drive most "batty".

You did appear to be in a lot of anguish, despite the pain being very real, you seemed to be beating yourself up & considering yourself a "crybaby".

I also have a type of arthritis that can be arrested with medication(s), but I still have flare-up's, which are triggered by diet, stress, or some combination of both. One of the meds I'm supposed to handle flares can cause drowsiness, I have to make a conscience decision not to relieve the pain until I'm not driving. During "flare" days it can be unbearable, sometimes I just want to (or do) pack it in early - however, if I do - I know I'll have that much work to do tomorrow.

I've said it before, I find living with ADD is like having a constant negotiation with myself...weighing the benefit of either accepting some level of pain vs the level of relief I need in order to live my life.

It can be exhausting.

I wanted to encourage you that you seemed to have deliberately determined to use your network properly, seek perspective of those you trust, who are far enough removed that their opinions can be trusted...and you had been very transparent about the importance of having the right accountability partner.

sarahsweets
04-30-17, 07:09 AM
No, sorry...it should have read SAR (Substance Abuse Recovery). My understanding from your post is that you are recovering, and I meant to acknowledge the anguish one goes through when trying to decide how "bad" pain is...and how much more difficult it is to have to decide whether to suffer-through, or to seek relief from legitimate pain that would likely drive most "batty".

Ok thanks, and yes, I am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober for 4.5 years.
I had to really think about the idea of pain relief. I am not one of those people in a 12 step plan that thinks alcoholics or drug addicts must suffer because of the potential for abuse of substances. I have had surgery since being sober and have taken the short term pain medication with no problems. It could be easier I guess because I have never had issues with opiates. Maybe if I was a drug addict I would choose not to medicate pain.
I believe drugs that are on the " no-no" list are between a person and their doctor and maybe their sponsor. " To thine ownself be true" right?

You did appear to be in a lot of anguish, despite the pain being very real, you seemed to be beating yourself up & considering yourself a "crybaby".

I also have a type of arthritis that can be arrested with medication(s), but I still have flare-up's, which are triggered by diet, stress, or some combination of both. One of the meds I'm supposed to handle flares can cause drowsiness, I have to make a conscience decision not to relieve the pain until I'm not driving. During "flare" days it can be unbearable, sometimes I just want to (or do) pack it in early - however, if I do - I know I'll have that much work to do tomorrow.

Yes, I would never drive on pain medication because it can make me feel like my reaction time would be slower. And I am definitely one who only uses the lowest dose of everything first rather than trying to blow the sh*t out of pain by loading up on medication. I do not expect to be pain free cause most of the time I can live with it, but like you said, the bad days are really bad.

I've said it before, I find living with ADD is like having a constant negotiation with myself...weighing the benefit of either accepting some level of pain vs the level of relief I need in order to live my life.

It can be exhausting.

I wanted to encourage you that you seemed to have deliberately determined to use your network properly, seek perspective of those you trust, who are far enough removed that their opinions can be trusted...and you had been very transparent about the importance of having the right accountability partner.

Thanks so much, this made me feel better. I believe in honesty as much as humanly possible because if you tell on yourself and get it out in the open, you are less likely to engage in that sneaky secret behavior that sets you up for relapse.
I had been given a script for xanax 2 years ago and while I wasnt addicted to it, i started to notice alcoholic behaviors with it such as taking it when it wasnt technically necessary, or knowingly liking the feeling enough to consider it a high. So xanax is not for me. I know of a few women who take benzos and my advice is to check your motives and communicate with your sponsor to be accountable.
Thanks for the validation.

salleh
04-30-17, 10:21 AM
....I love that the pain meds work .....there are times where it is your only choice ....and it sounds very much to me that you are exploring every path .....you are and have shown to be a person who cares very much about doing the right thing .....( and don't I wish there were more people like you out there !)

....I came back this morning to see how you are feeling .....I worry about you my friend

.....and there is nothing wrong about seeking relief from pain ...nothing .....especially since you are hyper alert to addictive behavior and know what it looks like .....and while you may not make it to pain free, at least you can dial it back to a manageable amount .......and that's a biggie .....

...I wish I could just make it all better for you .....I really do ....

BeaMags
04-30-17, 02:38 PM
I'm so happy you got some relief, I know I'm new here but I have read a lot of the threads and you Ms. Sweets are an integral part of this group.

Letching Gray
04-30-17, 03:24 PM
I do not have a ymca with a gym and I wouldnt be able to afford one anyway but the doc and Unmangeable both suggested epsom soaks and that stuff is cheap at the dollar store.
More to follow, love to you all.

Sorry there isn't a Y with those facilities nearby because they are very inexpensive. I thought most Ys offer them.

I used to rent from an older couple. She had RA. She had her knuckles replaced and tried many other procedures to relieve her suffering. She was a warrior, too. I used to pick her up and place her gently in their above ground outdoor pool. Just resting and moving gently in the water seemed to help her

sarahsweets
05-04-17, 09:07 AM
I have accupuncture today at 1030. I am really looking forward to it. Ive decided to not let the science of if or does it help get to me. I figure even if its a figment or psychological if it helps, so what?

midnightstar
05-04-17, 10:15 AM
I have accupuncture today at 1030. I am really looking forward to it. Ive decided to not let the science of if or does it help get to me. I figure even if its a figment or psychological if it helps, so what?

I really hope it helps, sarah :grouphug:

sarahsweets
05-05-17, 04:14 AM
Well It was interesting. I cant say after one session that I noticed anything but I am going to go back once a week to see what happens. I really like her though. She has the sliding scale fee starting at 25$ which is what I paid and she let me decide what I wanted to do. She didnt recommend a frequency and she doesnt peddle natural products of any kind. It seems like for all intents and purposes she really wants to help people. I did notice that I had a little tiny weird headache for the rest of the day. I think this may have been due to the fact that I had three needles in my head, but she also said I need to get used to it and I think thats fair.
She checks your heart rate throughout the session and mine was semi-high when I sat down and came down a bit at the end, so if nothing else, the anxiety got better. Im keeping an open mind because any help is better than none.

VoxPopuli
05-06-17, 02:22 PM
Thanks Sarah - I have never been treated for substance abuse and always wondered what (if any) treatment issues arose. I have also wondered what folks do for pain related to surgical events - who have undergone substance abuse treatment? Thanks for clearing some of that up.

I know some protocols are different for those recovering from drug abuse, I have a family member who passed away after an automobile accident. He survived the accident but awoke in the hospital with several very painful injuries. He had been sober for several years, and had even put a plan together where, in case of an accident, one of his family would go to the hospital to advise the medical team of his history. The injuries were so severe and painful (including a broken vertebrae in his neck) that the doctor advised a Fentenal patch - he and the family decided against it. By day 3 the pain was such that he begged one of his family (who had taken turns being with him around the clock) to ask the medical staff for a patch...he never left the hospital.

I know its a difficult proposition when pain is involved, I've often wondered if all chemical addiction recovery is the same. I'm concluding that it is largely based on the determination of the person/patient to recover.

Thanks.

People in recovery, and in pain, are definitely NOT crybabies - you just have so much more on your mind.