View Full Version : Adderall question

TheGrumpyBear
04-28-17, 03:25 PM
Hi Folks,
My name is Raul, 39 y/o married man. I have just been diagnosed with ADHD...My psychiatrist at first thought I just had anxiety and PTSD but after time she realized that I have had ADHD all my life but to do my social status and situation, I was never properly diagnosed. She said that my coping skills with the anxiety and PTSD probably hindered the major ramifications until now.

I am completely new to this, never in my life did I think I could even have a chance to be diagnosed with this. I am sorry if I am rambling but I would like you folks to know my background a little because of the following.

I am not a drug guy, the only thing i ever even tried was grass and even that i rarely do. When my doc said that adderall is basically meth, it freaked me out. I have this script and I am deathly afraid of taking them. They are literally sitting on my nightstand unopened.

I want to hear an answer from people that have actually taken adderall (and its different generics). What should I expect? Good and bad? My main issue with ADHD is the lack of focus, figity-ness, jumping back and forth between tasks but not finishing them, and impulse control.

When I start taking this stuff no matter what version, am I in for a rocky ride? Or are the effects subtle and just need to give it a little time and get used to them?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Remember I am a newbie, so speak to me like I am a 5 y/o child... I will take no offense. And thank you in advance for your honest answers and help. I am so out of my element, that I almost want to cry. So thank you for helping a fellow sufferer out.

Letching Gray
04-28-17, 05:56 PM
Hi Folks,
My name is Raul, 39 y/o married man. I have just been diagnosed with ADHD...My psychiatrist at first thought I just had anxiety and PTSD but after time she realized that I have had ADHD all my life but to do my social status and situation, I was never properly diagnosed. She said that my coping skills with the anxiety and PTSD probably hindered the major ramifications until now.

I am completely new to this, never in my life did I think I could even have a chance to be diagnosed with this. I am sorry if I am rambling but I would like you folks to know my background a little because of the following.

I am not a drug guy, the only thing i ever even tried was grass and even that i rarely do. When my doc said that adderall is basically meth, it freaked me out. I have this script and I am deathly afraid of taking them. They are literally sitting on my nightstand unopened.

I want to hear an answer from people that have actually taken adderall (and its different generics). What should I expect? Good and bad? My main issue with ADHD is the lack of focus, figity-ness, jumping back and forth between tasks but not finishing them, and impulse control.

When I start taking this stuff no matter what version, am I in for a rocky ride? Or are the effects subtle and just need to give it a little time and get used to them?

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Remember I am a newbie, so speak to me like I am a 5 y/o child... I will take no offense. And thank you in advance for your honest answers and help. I am so out of my element, that I almost want to cry. So thank you for helping a fellow sufferer out.

Hi Raul, Welcome.
Talk to your doctor in detail about your concerns. Tell her you are terrified of meth. Ask her for an RX for something else. Google your RX and you will find contraindications, the chemical formula, the whole 9 yards. Good luck.

thaney
04-29-17, 12:09 AM
You asked for personal experiences, so here's mine:

I take Adderall IR. I find it highly effective with virtually no side effects. I have noticed occasionally as it wears off (about six hours in), I will feel a little depressed. This was alarming at first because I have dealt with a few stints of depression through my life and I am very fearful that it will happen again, so my initial reaction was "OH NO, NOT THIS AGAIN," but once I realized the correlation between that and the medication timing, I was hugely relieved. That is the only "side effect" for me, and it doesn't happen much. (I experience the same panic when I get PMS, which for me means ~36 hours of being sad, and really not much more so I can't complain). For the first 12 hours, I worry, "Oh no! The depression is coming back!" and I get worried about it. The moment I realize that I'm probably going to get my period in the next 24 hours and that no, the depression is not returning, I immediately feel 90% better. :)

sarahsweets
04-29-17, 05:20 AM
e because of the following.

I know you didnt mean this but saying adderall is basically like meth is kinda offensive because its not. It has structural similarities but its not at all like the drugs made with paint thinners and gas. Your doctor was a jerk for saying that.
Just because these meds are controlled substances and stimulants, doesnt mean they are evil, addiction-inducing drugs.

I have been on stimulants for over 13 years and 75% of the time it has been a mix of adderall with dexedrine. Once I reached my target dose I have not needed an increase. The only exception to that was when I had a surgery that changed the way I absorb the medication, in which case there was a slight increase, but I am still on the same dose since that increase.

Getting the dose and medication right is the toughest part because it requires patience and time, which we adhd'rs arent always good at. Be prepared to need to tweak things for a little while but once you find the right dose and med its like the sun will shine again.

thaney
04-29-17, 06:34 AM
Getting the dose and medication right is the toughest part because it requires patience and time, which we adhd'rs arent always good at.

Isn't that the truth!? :) For me, at least, this has been a relatively smooth ride with really no ill effects either time in my life when I've been on medication for ADD. It just worked... right away. Immediate relief. This time around is just beginning and the doc thinks we'll tweak (increase) the dose, but all seems to be as it should be.

I was really resistant to the idea of taking medication for a very long time. I'm glad I've given it a chance.

Remember, it isn't a life sentence; if you decide that you have tried this and it is not for you, you are a grown man and nobody can make you take it! :) I know I found this reminder helpful in giving it a try for the first time.