View Full Version : I seriously feel a fraud. Twice diagnosed ADHD.

Yossioo
04-29-17, 08:54 AM
Why don't I feel like I have ADHD? And why,whenever I mention I have ADHD,people say "well,you don't seem ADHD".

I am a fairly chilled out guy,to be honest.

Here are the symptoms I identify with:

Proscratination
Bored easily
I was forgetful in childhood (perhaps because I didn't care)
Daydreaming frequently
Slightly impulsive

Working memory is fine. I can remember things like dentist appointments without having to write them down.

Maybe I should get a third opinion?

Little Missy
04-29-17, 09:06 AM
How is the Concerta working for you?

Yossioo
04-29-17, 09:11 AM
I'm not taking it. Haven't yet received the prescription.

Even when I was taking it last year I didn't feel anything

quang
04-30-17, 02:47 PM
Do you think you might have ADHD-PI? That's the type I think I have (in the process of getting diagnose) I just told my primary care physician (actually it was just a residence) that I think I have ADHD, and he said, "If you have ADHD you'd be bouncing off the walls." and I said... "I think I have ADHD-PI, predominately inactive" and he didn't really say much...

aur462
04-30-17, 04:58 PM
A resident thought you'd be "bouncing off the walls"? That's encouraging :/ Lord, the ignorance. With any luck he'll be enlightened..perhaps by someone like my former psychiatrist with ADD who didn't "bounce off the walls".

sarahsweets
05-01-17, 09:37 AM
Why don't I feel like I have ADHD? And why,whenever I mention I have ADHD,people say "well,you don't seem ADHD".
Dont mention it. Its no ones business. Many people feel they have the right to give their opinions on your personal issues if you share them.

Proscratination
Bored easily
Daydreaming frequently
Slightly impulsive

Working memory is fine. I can remember things like dentist appointments without having to write them down.

Maybe I should get a third opinion?[/QUOTE]

I dont understand. Were you diagnosed? Are you being treated? Do you have confidence in the doctors you saw?

Yossioo
05-01-17, 02:00 PM
Dont mention it. Its no ones business. Many people feel they have the right to give their opinions on your personal issues if you share them.

Proscratination
Bored easily
Daydreaming frequently
Slightly impulsive

Maybe I should get a third opinion?

I dont understand. Were you diagnosed? Are you being treated? Do you have confidence in the doctors you saw?[/QUOTE]

Yeah,I was diagnosed twice. By two different doctors.

But why is my memory ok?

WheresMyMind
05-01-17, 06:50 PM
Sounds more like very high IQ in a society that doesn't stimulate enough for even average IQ.

Yossioo
05-01-17, 10:17 PM
Perhaps it's ADHD.

I caught myself interrupting somebody earlier (again)
And losing interest after 30 seconds of conversing and zoning out.

Yossioo
05-03-17, 02:37 PM
My school report aged 8 - sound like ADHD?

English: has made good progress with his reading but has problems with comprehension tasks which involve understanding what he has read and extracting the relevant information. tries very hard with written learning. Spelling has been a problem but this has improved recently.

maths: this is -- main area of weakness. He still does not truly understand the basic concepts of addition and subtraction. He tries very hard but often lacks confidence to have a go. He responds well to adult supervision.

quang
05-03-17, 03:28 PM
On the topic of getting properly diagnose.

So when I read the long lists of symptoms (In books like Dr. Hallowell "Driven to Distraction") I can relate to most of the symptoms, and it causes me to see big picture of all my ailments (being late, can't sleep, socially awkward, hearing problems, day-dreamer, drop out) that it seems crystal clear and obvious that I have it. (am in the process of getting diagnosed)

But so the Brain is a complicated organ. Humans have yet to understand it fully. So whether it's ADHD, Depression, High IQ, or whatever... no on really knows?

That's why Doctors calls their diagnosis an opinion. And most good Doctors encourages getting multiple opinions?

It's words to describe something that we collectively do not understand. Yes, words are powerful, but it's not everything?

There's obviously something going on, and ADHD might be the best word to use. Explore treatments for ADHD, see if it's helpful. Because we all want to get diagnose to better understand our past, and to have this new understanding help us with our future?

namazu
05-03-17, 03:30 PM
My school report aged 8 - sound like ADHD?

English: has made good progress with his reading but has problems with comprehension tasks which involve understanding what he has read and extracting the relevant information. tries very hard with written learning. Spelling has been a problem but this has improved recently.

maths: this is -- main area of weakness. He still does not truly understand the basic concepts of addition and subtraction. He tries very hard but often lacks confidence to have a go. He responds well to adult supervision.
Some of the things mentioned could be related to ADHD, or to a learning disorder, or to anxiety, or to the teacher, or to the environment, or to some combination of things.

It's hard to look at something like this in isolation -- unless the report card format matches the ADHD diagnostic criteria or a rating scale very closely -- and say, "Oh, yeah! Sounds like ADHD! Or "Doesn't sound like ADHD!" (For some people, report cards do give fairly obvious clues from a young age. For others, especially those for whom the hyperactive/impulsive symptoms are less prominent, not so much.)

That's why a good evaluation takes into account information like this, along with self-reports, input from people who know you well, your medical and developmental and family history, any relevant test results, and how the symptoms have affected you now and in the past.