View Full Version : Dexamphetamine + Exercise

RampantDad
04-30-17, 06:49 PM
Good morning All,

I am new to the forums, and wanted to post about Dexamphetamine - I apologise in advance if this has been posted previously or elsewhere, however my psychiatrist has recently prescribed me Dexamphetamine to help manage ADHD-PI.

I have recently been taking 10-15mg Dexamphetamine once daily, before exercising, and I have found it has had such a profound impact and made such a difference. I fully realise that taking it before exercise has it's risks, and should never be taken as a "preworkout" as such, however since taking it, I have SIGNIFICANTLY felt my energy levels (which were very poor) improve, and it has substantial lasting affects for the entire day (concentration, memory, social interaction etc). Finding that it is making me that much happier, motivated and energised. It is particularly helpful taking prior to a long run, and thinking that perhaps the medication + the increased O2 uptake from the run is making the effects much more benefical.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I also realise doing such a practice can lead to substance abuse, however I am very sensible with my intake and make sure I never OD etc.

Has anyone used Dex as a way to complement exercise?

Thanks all.

Pilgrim
05-01-17, 01:46 AM
It does have an impact. Don't ever use it to increase performance IMO.

I don't change my timings of medication because I find I workout smarter.

I've also heard certain people will avoid medication before workout.

sarahsweets
05-01-17, 04:36 AM
Good morning All,

I am new to the forums, and wanted to post about Dexamphetamine - I apologise in advance if this has been posted previously or elsewhere, however my psychiatrist has recently prescribed me Dexamphetamine to help manage ADHD-PI.

I have recently been taking 10-15mg Dexamphetamine once daily, before exercising, and I have found it has had such a profound impact and made such a difference. I fully realise that taking it before exercise has it's risks, and should never be taken as a "preworkout" as such, however since taking it, I have SIGNIFICANTLY felt my energy levels (which were very poor) improve, and it has substantial lasting affects for the entire day (concentration, memory, social interaction etc). Finding that it is making me that much happier, motivated and energised. It is particularly helpful taking prior to a long run, and thinking that perhaps the medication + the increased O2 uptake from the run is making the effects much more benefical.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I also realise doing such a practice can lead to substance abuse, however I am very sensible with my intake and make sure I never OD etc.

Has anyone used Dex as a way to complement exercise?

Thanks all.

What is your prescribed dose and dosage schedule?
What does your doctor say?

RampantDad
05-01-17, 07:30 PM
Prescribed dosage was 20mg, 2 x 10mg dosages per day.

However, at present I find only 10mg in the morning works tremendously well and dont feel that I need the extra 10mg.

I'm seeing my psychiatrist in 2 weeks time, I will bring it up with him.

To reiterate, I do not use the medication SPECIFICALLY for performance enhancement, it just seems to be a very nice and welcomed bonus and am finding at present, I can run 15-20km whereas previously my fatigue would limit me to 8-10 and I would be in pain.

aeon
05-01-17, 08:34 PM
I have noticed Dex can extend the time before muscle fatigue will set in for a given activity.

That is certainly interesting. That said, I take my meds as prescribed, and would never take Dex in anticipation of athletic performance.

All the usual rules about exercise apply...listen to pain signals...stay hydrated...watch your core temp given conditions...eat right.

My doctor has said I am fine for any kind of exercising I like*, regardless of Dex, even accounting for my patent foramen ovale (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrial_septal_defect#Patent_foramen_ovale).

* Because of the PFO, he doesn’t want me lifting weights which would cause the equivalent of doing a Valsalva maneuver.

Cheers,
Ian

Jenn1202
05-08-17, 10:07 PM
I could barely move on Dexedrine. It made me feel like I was running out of breath much faster than usual when I was working out. I guess everyone's different.

emperorpenguin
05-18-17, 04:37 PM
Be careful here. Amphetamines improve athletic potential (at modest doses) by basically suppressing a physiological mechanism that limits your output in response to elevated body temperature. It unlocks a performance reserve, at the cost of increasing the risk of heat injury; you're essentially disabling a safety switch. This is the strictly-physiological effect, a separate issue from whatever mental gains it gives you in terms of motivation and focus. And it's not at all to say that you can't exercise, merely that you should keep this in mind and use judgment when you find that you can suddenly go further/faster/heavier.

sarahsweets
05-24-17, 10:00 AM
Be careful here. Amphetamines improve athletic potential (at modest doses) by basically suppressing a physiological mechanism that limits your output in response to elevated body temperature. It unlocks a performance reserve, at the cost of increasing the risk of heat injury; you're essentially disabling a safety switch. This is the strictly-physiological effect, a separate issue from whatever mental gains it gives you in terms of motivation and focus. And it's not at all to say that you can't exercise, merely that you should keep this in mind and use judgment when you find that you can suddenly go further/faster/heavier.

This is interesting.Can you provide sources or studies that I can read?

someothertime
05-25-17, 02:10 AM
In general no... It comes down to daily rythmns and common sense...

Ones heart rate sustains high levels post exercise for several hours.... For this reason, it's best to excercise on the back end daily dose ( say 6-8pm )....

It will aid in burning off your med and sleep routine...

sarahsweets
05-25-17, 06:56 AM
You may not be going out of your way to use the dex as a performance enhancer and it really could be like a bonus but Im telling you, its easy to slip into taking it for the wrong reasons.