View Full Version : Vyvanse and work

AcctUhd456
05-01-17, 09:24 PM
I've been taking 50mg of Vyvanse everyday for 3 months and have been medicated almost 3 years on different medications.

Vyvanse has the longest duration before rebound effects kick in. For me Vyvanse starts working between 45 min-90 minutes after ingestion and starts wearing off around 6 hours after it kicks in.

Lets say if a shift is 8 or even 9 hours, wouldn't that I would have rebound effects at work if rebound occurs? And thats IF I take it 1-2 hours before work so I can have ADHD symptoms decreased by the time I start my shift. I am also possibly going back to University in August and taking full time classes, but for right now I am working and that's what I am focused on pertaining to my medication coverage.

What is your opinion of what I should talk about with my pdoc next Monday? He prescribed Adderall XR 10mg when Vyanse wears off March 13th than wrote a refill for Vyvanse only as that's what I asked for on April 13th. I hate Adderall XR/IR and will make it a point I hate it if a doctor ever prescribed it again. Plus that 10mg strength didn't do as much in helping symptoms as the Vyvanse 50mg strength.

Right now I am thinking of kindly reminding him that generic Dexedrine 10mg helped a few months ago before I started Vyvanse and that 1 tablet as needed this time will be enough after/if Vyvanse wears off when I still need symptom coverage. I don't want to take another 50mg Vyvanse if he suggests because than I can see it lasting TOO long most days and mess with my sleep pattern,as I want to wake up 6am and go to bed around 9pm with MAYBE ONE cat nap for 20 mins or less throughout the day if I am sleepy/tired.

If Sarah Sweets can reply back that would be cool :D

:thankyou:

aur462
05-09-17, 01:55 AM
Vyvanse is essentially er dextoampetamine (i strongly prefer both over Adderall).vyvanse with dex booster sounds sage.

weswes
05-09-17, 03:15 PM
maybe coffee if you can handle it. Everyone's chemistry is different but coffee lasts around 4-6 hours for most people.

AcctUhd456
05-11-17, 04:42 PM
I quit caffeine over a month ago to see where my tolerance for Vyvanse is as I could've got confused the last 2-3 years taking ADHD medications while drinking coffee/energy drinks almost every day.

AcctUhd456
05-11-17, 04:46 PM
Thanks we discussed it and I went with 40mg vyvanse twice a day(morning and evening).I should have went with 10mg generic dex instead of 2nd dose of Vyvanse. I have appoingtment in 4 weeks and will tell him to switch the two.I am trying to wake up at 6AM and fall asleep around 10PM everyday. So far haven't been able to do that with 40mg Vyvanse twice a day. Today I took first dose at 7:15 than second dose at 12:15PM to try to have it wear off around 8-10 PM so I can fall asleep.Does that make sense?If not can you tell me how I should take it the next month or so.

AcctUhd456
05-11-17, 05:01 PM
Saw pdoc this past monday and told him 50mg vyvanse once a day might've been too much since I feel SLIGHTLY robotic/hyperfocused and it doesn't last the whole day in which I will eventually need it to. We talked about adding 10mg generic dex or doing 40mg Vyvanse twice a day once it morning and once in evening.It's a lot better and I feel like myself,it lasts way too long and the moodlift isn't there anymore:( If I can't get a good schedule to take both than I am going to tell him to add generic dex 10mg and take away second vyvanse dose as that is what the other good options is.

My question is until my next appointment(6/5/17)how would I schedule the Vyvanse if I want to wake up at 6AM and sleep around 10PM daily? I need to get into this routine for my prayers and job scheduling which is random hours as its retail.I also love to go to the gym while Vyvanse is starting to work(45mins-2 hours after I ingest).

For instance today I took first dose at 7:15AM than 2nd dose at 12:15PM.

Vyvanse to me takes 45 mins to start working and starts to wear off 6-8 hours after I pop the pill. Than for atleast 2 hours or so I notice a huge rebound effect.

Little Missy
05-11-17, 05:04 PM
If it feels good, do it.

namazu
05-11-17, 05:26 PM
Thanks we discussed it and I went with 40mg vyvanse twice a day(morning and evening).I should have went with 10mg generic dex instead of 2nd dose of Vyvanse. I have appoingtment in 4 weeks and will tell him to switch the two.I am trying to wake up at 6AM and fall asleep around 10PM everyday. So far haven't been able to do that with 40mg Vyvanse twice a day. Today I took first dose at 7:15 than second dose at 12:15PM to try to have it wear off around 8-10 PM so I can fall asleep.Does that make sense?If not can you tell me how I should take it the next month or so.
If you're consistently having trouble sleeping when taking the Vyvanse as prescribed, I would suggest calling your doctor to let him know, even before your 4-weeks-from-now appointment. A whole month of sleep deprivation isn't a good thing.

You could ask about trying Dexedrine as a booster to the Vyvanse instead of taking 2 Vyvanse pills.

If you take the Vyvanse pills too close together, you may find that it's too strong for you at a certain point in the day. If you don't find that it's too strong for you, then perhaps that dosing schedule could work for you. I would suggest clearing it with your doctor, in any case.

AcctUhd456
05-11-17, 06:03 PM
I'm getting sensations in chest,arms,fingers that tell me too much stimulants is in my body. No I don't drink caffeine.The doses I took today apparently weren't far apart enough and/or its because I under slept last night, or I need to take drug holiday as its been at least 20 or so days that I took a break. Its been like this when I exercise while on medication it becomes very noticeable afterwards. Its like a sick sensation in my chest/stomach region and vasoconstriction in arms and hands.

AcctUhd456
05-12-17, 11:33 AM
Thanks I had the same problem again today.I forgot to put in my post that I already had weird sleep pattern last few months from an inconsistent schedule. I changed it around a few weeks ago.However I need it to work ASAP.

I fell asleep around 2:30ish woke up around 7 which is why I'm tired again today.Took first dose around 8ish and it isn't working as well today just like yesterday.I even made vyvanse water and took 1/5 of 2nd dose to make me alert and have clarity and its working but if I slept well I wouldn't have had to do that,my doctor would be ****** if I told him this.I can't wait till I get a good nights rest again.

You're right about sleep deprivation. Not only is it unhealthy but the medication becomes way less effective. Someone on reddit said don't take vyvanse unless you get at least a solid 6 hours of solid sleep and I thought it was good advice.However now I analyze sleep and don't actually fall asleep till later.I'm over analyzing this.

When I call the doctor about concerns related to medications that need to be changed they usually make me schedule an appointment. Calling my doctor's office is useless unless its about a prescription refill lol.

AcctUhd456
05-12-17, 11:35 AM
Also is it okay to take Vyvnse only before work or something that requires focus AND only if I know It won't effect my sleep schedule for the next day if I don't have to wake up as early?

Than again thats redundant since my goal is to have a routine whether I do something important enough like class or work the next day.

whoisinthere22
05-12-17, 03:51 PM
Taking vyvanse twice a day has always left me with the though, "what about sleep?"

Sleeping is even more important than the medication itself. Also, don't forget that vyvanse won't work properly if you have a poor night sleep.

Also is it okay to take Vyvnse only before work or something that requires focus AND only if I know It won't effect my sleep schedule for the next day if I don't have to wake up as early?
I am not sure what you are trying to ask here. You take vyvanse to help with the ADHD symptoms for you work/school. If it's the weekend and you have free schedule, then you should probably take two days off of the med. That's what I do all the time.

namazu
05-12-17, 04:21 PM
You take vyvanse to help with the ADHD symptoms for you work/school. If it's the weekend and you have free schedule, then you should probably take two days off of the med. That's what I do all the time.
Many adults who are prescribed Vyvanse take it to help with the ADHD symptoms for work/school, but also for driving, relationships, self-care, keeping track of stuff at home, parenting, etc.

If you feel you don't need it for weekends, and your doctor has recommended taking those days off, I can't argue. But many people take it daily, even on weekends.

All of that said, OP, I think the sleep issue is an important one. It's unfortunate that your doctor is unresponsive to your concerns about side effects outside of monthly appointments, but that seems dismayingly common. If you can hold out until your next appointment, making small adjustments but taking the medication as prescribed, hopefully you can have a frank talk with your doctor about alternatives that won't keep you up at night. It sounds like the doctor was willing to consider Vyvanse + Dexedrine, and maybe that would help you without interfering with your sleep.

whoisinthere22
05-12-17, 04:45 PM
Many adults who are prescribed Vyvanse take it to help with the ADHD symptoms for work/school, but also for driving, relationships, self-care, keeping track of stuff at home, parenting, etc.

If you feel you don't need it for weekends, and your doctor has recommended taking those days off, I can't argue. But many people take it daily, even on weekends.

All of that said, OP, I think the sleep issue is an important one. It's unfortunate that your doctor is unresponsive to your concerns about side effects outside of monthly appointments, but that seems dismayingly common. If you can hold out until your next appointment, making small adjustments but taking the medication as prescribed, hopefully you can have a frank talk with your doctor about alternatives that won't keep you up at night. It sounds like the doctor was willing to consider Vyvanse + Dexedrine, and maybe that would help you without interfering with your sleep.
It was not something that the doctor recommended for me to do, as I barely see him because he only wants to see me every 3 months.
But, that's the only thing that helped/helps my body to get good rest and sleep from the medication due to the fact that the days I am on the med, I can barely sleep, and usually wake up 6+ times a night.

namazu
05-12-17, 04:52 PM
It was not something that the doctor recommended for me to do, as I barely see him because he only wants to see me every 3 months.
But, that's the only thing that helped/helps my body to get good rest and sleep from the medication due to the fact that the days I am on the med, I can barely sleep, and usually wake up 6+ times a night.
Oof -- that doesn't sound fun! :(
Definitely bring it up with the doc next time you see him. There may be other options that would help with the ADHD symptoms but still let you get some shuteye.

AcctUhd456
05-12-17, 09:14 PM
40mg Vyvanse and 10mg generic dex is what I am going with next appointment lol. I can't handle vyvanse twice a day so far its been horrific.Also, I think I need to take at least the weekend off since I get more side effects taking it daily for weeks,etc as that's a huge part of it too.

Anyways this thread can be closed now

sarahsweets
05-18-17, 03:00 AM
OP-
IME vyvanse being taken more than once a day always screwed with my sleep. I dont know why because vyvanse has never lasted 12 hours for me, but the two doses just were awful. I would make the appt with the doctor if they wont return your call . Sleep is so important and not to be trivialized. People have had episodes of psychosis from lack of sleep. Its not something to mess with. In the meantime, I would skip the second dose. You are going to ask for the dex booster anyway because its shorter acting so I would try and bear it until you can get an answer from the doctor. I understand your need to perform with work and all but isnt it worth a little fuzzy headedness vs no sleep until you see the doctor?
Also, many people need medication everyday of the year because adhd is so impairing.

kjo
06-30-17, 01:14 PM
Saw pdoc this past monday and told him 50mg vyvanse once a day might've been too much since I feel SLIGHTLY robotic/hyperfocused and it doesn't last the whole day in which I will eventually need it to. We talked about adding 10mg generic dex or doing 40mg Vyvanse twice a day once it morning and once in evening.It's a lot better and I feel like myself,it lasts way too long and the moodlift isn't there anymore:( If I can't get a good schedule to take both than I am going to tell him to add generic dex 10mg and take away second vyvanse dose as that is what the other good options is.

My question is until my next appointment(6/5/17)how would I schedule the Vyvanse if I want to wake up at 6AM and sleep around 10PM daily? I need to get into this routine for my prayers and job scheduling which is random hours as its retail.I also love to go to the gym while Vyvanse is starting to work(45mins-2 hours after I ingest).

For instance today I took first dose at 7:15AM than 2nd dose at 12:15PM.

Vyvanse to me takes 45 mins to start working and starts to wear off 6-8 hours after I pop the pill. Than for atleast 2 hours or so I notice a huge rebound effect.

I feel like getting Vyvanse dose is tricky. I have done some research and came across corePsych.com and found a lot of good info there. I open the capsule and dissolve the powder in about 10oz of water. The best thing about it is it is actually approved by manufacturer to dose this way! So I am not messing with the actual medication itself!