View Full Version : Weight Gain while on adderall

Hyperactive Ryu
05-01-17, 11:40 PM
Hello folks,
Im a 24 year old male who recently got diagnosed and have been taking adderall 20mg. Ive noticed that one of the most difficult side effects to deal with when taking ADHD medication is the loss of appetite. Im relatively skinny and always have been but I'm worried taking this medication will cause me to lose more weight than I am comfortable with. I was wondering if there are any people on this forum who have developed techniques to deal with the appetite loss and manage to gain weight and excercise.
all replies are welcome
thank you

sarahsweets
05-02-17, 05:23 AM
The most important things are to get enough sleep and eat frequently, healthy and well. That means forcing yourself to eat when you are not hungry and setting a reminder or alarm to remind you to eat even if its something small.

moth2flame
05-05-17, 01:53 PM
I ended up 15 lbs. underweight (after years of being overweight!) on adderall, thanks to near-total appetite suppression, so I know where you're coming from. Here are the things I've done to gain back those 15lbs., and maintain my current/ideal weight for the last 6+ months:

-Take your doses WITH a good-sized meal! I know that if I wait to try eating until after it's taken effect, I find it FAR more difficult to eat enough, or sometimes at all...

-Plan to have a large breakfast (before/with meds) and large dinner (after meds have worn off), and replace larger 'traditional' lunches with frequent, smaller, healthy snacks instead.

-Keep lots of healthy snack foods around that are tasty AND calorie-dense, so you can nibble on them throughout the day. My favorites include things like nuts and nut butters, dried fruit, cheese, salami, olives, hummus with veggies or pita chips, greek yogurt cups, etc.!

-Try smoothies or protein shakes instead of (or in addition to) solid foods, as liquids are (usually) much easier to consume than solids, even when you don't feel particularly hungry.

-If you do have a larger meal during the day, choose something that keeps/reheats well, so if you only eat part of it you can come back to finish it later. For example, chili or soup are good choices because they can be reheated and still taste just as good; fried foods or sandwiches are not, because they tend to get stale/soggy really quickly.

-Use full-fat milk/cream, sour cream and real butter in your cooking, cereals, coffee, etc. As a bonus, this makes food taste GREAT, so it's even more appealing even when you don't 'feel' hungry... ;)

-Eat meals/snacks on a schedule, even when you're not feeling hungry. Again, I find that taking IR doses with food to be super helpful, as I try to eat something at least every 4 or so hours anyway.

Hope this helps! YMMV, of course, but this is what's been working for me. :)

100MilesRunning
05-05-17, 10:16 PM
I initially lost about 7 pounds, dropping to the lowest weight I've been at in the past few years (previously only hit in the weeks leading up to a race). But it didn't last and my weight got back to normal pretty quickly.

The only thing kind of odd thing in my diet that might have helped stabilize my weight is a fair amount of protein shakes mixed with a few tablespoons of heavy cream. I also run and weight lift a lot, though, so that might be part of it too.

lntense
05-18-17, 09:26 AM
I'm a bodybuilder and take Adderall 20mg 2-3 times a week(I limit to not build tolerance).

And what works for me is viewing eating as a task that needs to be done. Because just because mentally you are not "feeling" hungry doesn't mean your body isn't starving for nutrients. Which also help the Adderall to better do it's job.

1 easy way to get in the amount of desired calories is shakes. I uually start my day with a shake consisting of

spinach (for the nutrients and alkalinity properties).
scoop of chocolate protein(to mask the taste)
blueberries (good antioxidant, and taste great)
peanut butter (good fat with decent protein content, high in certain minerals)
egg whites (for protein, and contains other vitamins/minerals)
banana (one of my favorite fruits, adds good texture to the shake and can even increase serotonin levels and put you in a better mood overall)

Then have your regular lunch/dinner meals but substitute with shakes in between. I'm at 6 whole meals a day currently just to maintain my size, I'm 6'2 235lbs and lean so if I don't eat I will lose it. You just have to suck it up a bit honestly to get in the calories lol.

bassetmom
07-25-17, 07:47 AM
I am overweight and have tried many diets and exercise and cannot lose the weight. I was on adipex and at one point I did lose about 20 pounds but then I put some of it back on. I recently asked the doctor to try something else and his physician assistant gave me Adderall. I am a little nervous about trying it and would like to see what your thought are. I would like to lose about 100lbs. I am 5'5 and about 270.

please I don't need any fat comments I have heard them all I just need to know if you think this drug is worth trying short term

JustAHedgehog
07-25-17, 03:00 PM
My appetite went from a giant appetite to reasonable. I noticed I actually eat if I start with something sweet like fruit(especially grapes) or cereal or a pbj. The sugar rush makes my body want more which I use to eat the main dish lol.

wonderboy
07-26-17, 02:12 AM
"I am overweight and have tried many diets and exercise and cannot lose the weight. I was on adipex and at one point I did lose about 20 pounds but then I put some of it back on. I recently asked the doctor to try something else and his physician assistant gave me Adderall. I am a little nervous about trying it and would like to see what your thought are. I would like to lose about 100lbs. I am 5'5 and about 270.
__________________________________________________ ______

Not sure if this medication should be used for this purpose. What may happen is a "slippery slope" and that is dangerous in the field of medicine

sarahsweets
07-26-17, 04:37 AM
I am overweight and have tried many diets and exercise and cannot lose the weight. I was on adipex and at one point I did lose about 20 pounds but then I put some of it back on. I recently asked the doctor to try something else and his physician assistant gave me Adderall. I am a little nervous about trying it and would like to see what your thought are. I would like to lose about 100lbs. I am 5'5 and about 270.

please I don't need any fat comments I have heard them all I just need to know if you think this drug is worth trying short term

Stimulants should not be used with the intention of losing weight if you are actually trying to treat your adhd. Are you trying to treat your adhd?