View Full Version : Why I post -- there's hope!

Letching Gray
05-03-17, 01:17 AM
[Moderator note: This post was split from another thread (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184924) so that both topics could get the attention they deserved.]

I knew people with ADHD. Never had a clue I had it. My lovely supervisor left where I worked and became involved in an organization that among other things, specialized in ADHD. I saw her one day after she began working there and mentioned that I had read an article about the symptoms in adults, symptoms that changed some as people grew up, but were left over from childhood ADHD. I saw myself in those symptoms.

I said, "I think I might have ADHD", in passing. She said, "O.... YOU HAVE ADHD!!!" I looked at her curiously and go, "I do?" "O, YOU DO!" I admired her and had the utmost confidence in her integrity and in her smarts. She was very special, true blue, very bright, mature, a super human being, still is.
It took months, forms returned by significant others, an exhaustive history, multiple tests at the facility, a physical, and more. My first dose of Ritalin made possible the first time I could hear a news report on the radio. I had no idea what that was like. I was in a state of absolute amazement!! I had absolutely NO idea.

I participate here mostly because I long to see people who have ADHD get diagnosed and treated. If there is one person out there suffering with this nightmare, I want to reach and encourage him/her to get to a top notch doctor to get tested ASAP. Don't walk around with this disorder for one more second unnecessarily. Get help. There's hope. There's hope!

ToneTone
05-03-17, 12:09 PM
Yes the ADHD diagnosis can be a revelation.

Nice post!

Tone

Letching Gray
05-03-17, 02:04 PM
I didn't realize my comment on another topic could become a thread starter. Anywho, it's true that I hope everyone still suffering from this asp can find a measure of relief and support. The human brain is the most phenomenal thing in all the known universe, I think. When it works anyway.

To convert electrical-chemical pulses inside a biological mass of cells into thoughts is totally bizarre. Add a drug into that complex framework of 100,000,000,000 cells to enhance its performance defies the imagination.

weswes
05-03-17, 06:18 PM
I post for community and in the hope that others may benefit from the lessons I have learned on my journey.

Letching Gray
05-03-17, 08:34 PM
I'd like to share my point of view about the use of stimulants to treat ADHD. Using stimulants for any purpose in anyone presents risk. Using aspirin presents risk. Using anti-inflammatories has risks. Drinking caffeinated beverages, consuming salt, using insulin and beta-blockers all have a degree of risk.

Stimulants have been tested/studied extensively and when taken as directed and prescribed by a competent medical doctor to treat ADHD, are very safe particulary when compared to a drug like aspirin. Aspirin is documented to be causing severe health issues particularly in the elderly, sickly population.

Prescribing stimulants to any one who doesn't have an established, documented medical need for them is wrong. It should never be done. Never. They are not to be prescribed without a specific medical condition to address. They are dangerous. (Surgery to remove tonsils is dangerous. In fact, any time surgery is performed where the patient is "out" or "under" through the use of a general anesthetic, there is danger.)

If they are consumed by persons with high blood pressure, tachycardia, heart valve problems, murmurs, etc., stimulants can be lethal. Children, as always, are more vulnerable when any foreign substance is introduced into their systems. They don't have the same fully developed systems as adults that resist challenges to the body's health, in general.

The idea is to be cautious, but fully enjoy the benefits stimulants often yield in children and adults with ADHD. Personally, I am deeply grateful for stimulants and I wish I had been taking them since the first grade.

At the same time adhering to the established medical protocol to diagnose any illness as complex and multifaceted as ADHD, is essential, absolutely essential as stated by the finest doctors published in the peer reviewed literature in this field.

In my everyday language: I love kids. If a child is properly diagnosed with ADHD and stimulants are the doctors prescribed choice, Hallelujah!

Letching Gray
05-03-17, 08:37 PM
I post for community and in the hope that others may benefit from the lessons I have learned on my journey.

And luvin it! :thankyou::goodpost::grouphug: