View Full Version : "Thank you" to previous boss?

EuropeanADHD
05-03-17, 05:33 AM
I'm a consultant. On one of my previous project I worked with a manager on client's site who was very demanding and sometimes difficult. At the same time he was extremely communicative and understanding in some situations. I learnt extremely lot with him. We knew each other very well also on personal level.

We ended the project a few months ago and haven't had contact since then, except for an email on my performance he forwarded me and my short "thanks, I hope you're doing great" reply. He wrote me a good review, although in the final phase my performance was, objectively speaking, a bit worse than before (I made one stupid but important mistake, think taking A instead of B, where that really matters). At the same time, although I expressed interest in switching to his company, he didn't move this forward.

I had bosses before and afterwards but he was the coolest boss I've had so far. I find it hard to have a boss being as independent as I am. Realistically speaking, I'm very good at giving directions (leading teams, finding optimization potentials, creating strategies, etc.), but suck at following them. He was the closest to perfection I've had. He's not the "because I say so" guy, more of "tell me your ideas and we will see together whether they make sense or not". I loved that. Thanks to him I know there are bosses out there, with whom I actually like working.

It sometimes crosses my mind to write him an email (I have his personal email address) to tell him, once again, how I enjoyed working with him and that he has been the coolest "boss" I've had so far. On the other hand, I wouldn't like to come across as desperate or my email as an effort to get a job in his company. Also, I have doubts whether it doesn't sound too melodramatic. Also, not sure if he wants to keep in touch at all.

Would you write it?

Little Missy
05-03-17, 06:41 AM
I would write the thank you only if I had an actual physical address to send it to. Never through email.

EuropeanADHD
05-03-17, 06:50 AM
I would write the thank you only if I had an actual physical address to send it to. Never through email.

We have always communicated by email and hangouts. He's a very "digitalized" person.

Little Missy
05-03-17, 06:56 AM
We have always communicated by email and hangouts. He's a very "digitalized" person.

oh, then by all means thank him emailly. A sincere thank you is always in good taste. :)

Fuzzy12
05-03-17, 07:52 AM
Yes go ahead. He will probably be happy to hear your appreciation and it will encourage him to keep up the good management.

I'm always happy when I get good feedback. From anyone but especially people I've guided or managed in some way.