View Full Version : Vyvanse: okay to split the dose?

TopTaff31
05-03-17, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

So a week back I started taking Vyvanse 30mg for a few days, but found that although it worked well for the first half of the day, the rest from lunchtime onward was just side effects: anxiety, lack of motivation, lack of concentration, stomach ache, etc.

So my doc advised me to maybe just take 20mg instead in the morning by opening up the capsule and drinking it in a glass of water. Results were positive, no anxiety in the afternoon and no stomach ache, however the concentration, lethargy and motivation issue persisted due to (presumably) the effects wearing off.

So I was wondering, would it be okay for me to split the dose 50/50 and take 15mg in the morning in water, and then 15mg at lunch? The issue I have is that the effects seem to wear off after around 5-6 hours, so would this perhaps be a way to combat this?

Thank you!

namazu
05-03-17, 01:30 PM
It's pretty common, I think, for extended-release medications not to last as long as advertised for some people. I know this has been the case for me.

That said, opening the capsules to divide the dose like this contradicts the manufacturer's prescribing instructions (http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf) and could be considered misuse, which ADDF does not condone (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842).

Swallow VYVANSE capsules whole, or

Open capsules, empty and mix the entire contents with yogurt, water, or orange juice. Ifthe contents of the capsule include any compacted powder, a spoon may be used to break apart the powder. The contents should be mixed until completely dispersed. Consume the entire mixture immediately. It should not be stored. [...] A single dose should not be divided.

Since Vyvanse also comes in smaller doses (10mg and 20mg), perhaps you could get your doctor to prescribe one of these lower-dose pills to be taken twice daily instead.

Alternatively, some people take Vyvanse in the morning and a dose of short-acting dextroamphetamine later in the day. (I don't know if dextroamphetamine is available in the UK, though.)

TopTaff31
05-03-17, 02:31 PM
It's pretty common, I think, for extended-release medications not to last as long as advertised for some people. I know this has been the case for me.

That said, opening the capsules to divide the dose like this contradicts the manufacturer's prescribing instructions (http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf) and could be considered misuse, which ADDF does not condone (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15842).
Since Vyvanse also comes in smaller doses (10mg and 20mg), perhaps you could get your doctor to prescribe one of these lower-dose pills to be taken twice daily instead.

Alternatively, some people take Vyvanse in the morning and a dose of short-acting dextroamphetamine later in the day. (I don't know if dextroamphetamine is available in the UK, though.)

Many thanks for the reply :) My doc told me to split the capsule first and take 20mg of the 30mg, just to see if it's better. Probably to save me buying another prescription for the time being, just in case it didn't work.

What you say about the short acting dextroamphetamine is interesting, because I heard that doctors can prescribe this in conjunction with a long acting medication, such as Vyvanse, to prolong the effects like you say. But being in the UK, I think the only options are Ritalin (which sucked for me), Vyvanse/Elvanse (my current med) or Strattera (which sounds like the worst option for many people because of the side effects).

While I wait for my doctor's next call in a couple of weeks, are there any other supplements I could take to prolong the effects of Vyvanse, other than splitting the capsule? (Legal, of course)

sarahsweets
05-06-17, 06:02 AM
Many thanks for the reply :) My doc told me to split the capsule first and take 20mg of the 30mg, just to see if it's better. Probably to save me buying another prescription for the time being, just in case it didn't work.

What you say about the short acting dextroamphetamine is interesting, because I heard that doctors can prescribe this in conjunction with a long acting medication, such as Vyvanse, to prolong the effects like you say. But being in the UK, I think the only options are Ritalin (which sucked for me), Vyvanse/Elvanse (my current med) or Strattera (which sounds like the worst option for many people because of the side effects).

While I wait for my doctor's next call in a couple of weeks, are there any other supplements I could take to prolong the effects of Vyvanse, other than splitting the capsule? (Legal, of course)

I believe in the UK you can get dexedrine.