View Full Version : modafinil

ritalin_ADDict
05-04-17, 05:47 PM
Has anyone here tried the drug modafinil?
IT is a DRI, and I am considering trying to convince my doc to let me try it.I
I had a great experience with Wellbutrin (an DNRI) in the past, which turned into a nightmare with a dreadful amount of anxiety...
After stopping it, it seems I have created some sort of imbalance and I am anxious and depressed all the time, and taking Ritalin to study only makes things worse.

I am assuming that I have somehow messed up my dopamine regulation/ transportation/transmission or something to do with dopamine in the brain even further than it has been before (being ADD and all)
I have read this drug has no tolerance build up, no crashes and more and that it is used in the army and given to astronauts, I am wondering if this could help me with my depression and help me study.
for anxiety I have been taking benzos to help (I seriously have no choice) so I would need to find something to go with it.

So What do you guys think?
thank you

sarahsweets
05-05-17, 03:59 AM
Has anyone here tried the drug modafinil?
IT is a DRI, and I am considering trying to convince my doc to let me try it.I
I had a great experience with Wellbutrin (an DNRI) in the past, which turned into a nightmare with a dreadful amount of anxiety...
After stopping it, it seems I have created some sort of imbalance and I am anxious and depressed all the time, and taking Ritalin to study only makes things worse.
Its primarily used for narcolepsy and in fact the company, Cephlan got in trouble for off label marketing for adhd. Not that they should of but insurance companies might be less inclined to cover it without a sleep study.

I am assuming that I have somehow messed up my dopamine regulation/ transportation/transmission or something to do with dopamine in the brain even further than it has been before (being ADD and all)
I have read this drug has no tolerance build up, no crashes and more and that it is used in the army and given to astronauts, I am wondering if this could help me with my depression and help me study.
for anxiety I have been taking benzos to help (I seriously have no choice) so I would need to find something to go with it.

So What do you guys think?
thank you

Where have you "heard" these things? And what makes you think you have messed uo your dopamine? Did your doctor tell you that? Is that commone with wellbutrin?
Yes they used to use it in the military but that was because it is a"wakefulness promoting agent. They used it to combat fatigue with long flights. My husband has both narcolepsy and adhd and it sort of helps the adhd but it mostly helps the narcolepsy. I think people get it in their heads through reading the internet that it is some sort of magic alternative to stimulants.

ritalin_ADDict
05-14-17, 03:39 PM
Hi Sarah, sorry for late response, unfortunately I don't receive notifications for this.

The reason I believe this, is because Wellbutrin is an NDRI. when I was on Wellbutrin at first it worked like rocket fuel to me. I was extremely happy, could talk to anyone, my reasoning and thoughts were very clear and I felt very calm internally, I was very composed. gradually this happiness I felt has decreased and I have felt more and more anxiety until most of it's effect was to make me incredibly anxious.
finally when I stopped taking it I was left with this anxiety and internal restlessness which I never had before and I was very unhappy. Ritalin which previously worked wonders on me, now worked different on me, and gave me a lot of this anxiety and internal restlessness.
I have tried many ssri's, and although they do help somewhat, they never seem to balance me out.
I wish I knew with certainty what exactly the problem is, What I believe is that something to do with my dopamine is completely out of whack.
I found recently, that adding more magnesium and tyrosine rich foods (the building blocks for dopamine) into my diet is helping me a lot.
-almonds
-bananas
-chicken
-apples
-green leafy vegetables

Does your husband complain about side effects? how long has he been on it?
And tbh, my expectations are really not very high.

sarahsweets
05-17-17, 04:12 AM
Hi Sarah, sorry for late response, unfortunately I don't receive notifications for this.

The reason I believe this, is because Wellbutrin is an NDRI. when I was on Wellbutrin at first it worked like rocket fuel to me. I was extremely happy, could talk to anyone, my reasoning and thoughts were very clear and I felt very calm internally, I was very composed. gradually this happiness I felt has decreased and I have felt more and more anxiety until most of it's effect was to make me incredibly anxious.
finally when I stopped taking it I was left with this anxiety and internal restlessness which I never had before and I was very unhappy. Ritalin which previously worked wonders on me, now worked different on me, and gave me a lot of this anxiety and internal restlessness.
I have tried many ssri's, and although they do help somewhat, they never seem to balance me out.
I wish I knew with certainty what exactly the problem is, What I believe is that something to do with my dopamine is completely out of whack.
I found recently, that adding more magnesium and tyrosine rich foods (the building blocks for dopamine) into my diet is helping me a lot.
-almonds
-bananas
-chicken
-apples
-green leafy vegetables

Does your husband complain about side effects? how long has he been on it?
And tbh, my expectations are really not very high.

He has been taking it for over 10 years or so. He sometimes says it makes him a little anxious but that was when he was taking the full dose of 200 mg twice a day. Not to be gross but his urine does have a strong odor. Not that Im in the bathroom with him, but I can smell it when he is done and he notices it too.