View Full Version : New to Concerta - Do crashes get easier or go away?

BOCK102
05-05-17, 05:14 AM
Hey everyone,
I started Concerta 18mg about 3 weeks ago and the first few days I experienced a bad crash/comedown where I felt sick and had a sore head. Pretty much a hangover. This thankfully subsided but has come back with a vengeance since my dose was increased to 27mg. I'm hoping this will pass too but am wondering what everyone else's experiences have been. Do the crashes go away or are they here to stay?

sarahsweets
05-05-17, 06:41 AM
In find that you are either ok with meds from the methylphenidate family or you are not. Have you tried amphetamines?

BOCK102
05-05-17, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your reply Sarah. I'm from Ireland and I find the doctors here have a very limited understanding of ADHD in adults and are very reluctant to prescribe stimulants. I've fought to get Concerta (as opposed to Strattera) and my psychiatrist finally gave in so I'm not hopeful he'd be willing to change it to an amphetamine based medication. If I give Concerta a chance over a few months he might consider dexedrine but adderall is not available here.

Hopefully the crash subsides like it did on the 18mg as I'm loving Concerta and am finding it to be life changing :-)

dvdnvwls
05-05-17, 12:05 PM
A minor crash may go away after a couple of weeks. A major one won't change much. Medication crashes are fixed by either reducing the dosage if it was too high, or by taking another smaller dose later in the day, turning the crash into a gradual slide.

coolbanana
05-20-17, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your reply Sarah. I'm from Ireland and I find the doctors here have a very limited understanding of ADHD in adults and are very reluctant to prescribe stimulants. I've fought to get Concerta (as opposed to Strattera) and my psychiatrist finally gave in so I'm not hopeful he'd be willing to change it to an amphetamine based medication. If I give Concerta a chance over a few months he might consider dexedrine but adderall is not available here.

Hopefully the crash subsides like it did on the 18mg as I'm loving Concerta and am finding it to be life changing :-)

I'm from Dublin and just started this about 2 month ago. It would be good to compare notes about Irish doctors and the medical system here in general. GPs here have zero powers to adjust a dose or prescribe for the first time. They can only copy a prescription from a psychiatrist. And all of them have behaved as though they somehow feel the condition is an imaginary one - which is why it took literally decades for me to be diagnosed. I'd be interested in finding out about Dexedrine. I dont know what they can legally prescribe here. Or what the maximum dosage is either.

BOCK102
06-02-17, 09:35 AM
Wow Coolbanana, that could have been me writing that comment. I sometimes feel during my Psych appointments that I know about ADHD than they do (and unfortunately I'm not exaggerating). Be good to keep in touch given we've had similar experiences and have been on Concerta for the same amount of time. Sure hit me a PM when you see this!

ohlookakitty
06-05-17, 02:32 PM
I had a bad crash with Adderall XR that got me into depressive state like I've never felt before. It was horrible :( Never had that issue with Concerta so I stuck with it.

BloopLoops
08-12-17, 12:56 AM
I definitely have a come down in the evenings. I hate it. I also seem to be noticing that in the mornings I feel very grumpy. I always did but now I think it is worse. Could just be that I was always felt this crappy but now I just notice.