View Full Version : Did you "recover" from Anxiety Disorder while being on ADHD medication

AcctUhd456
05-05-17, 06:53 PM
Hey guys I'm hitting a crossroads here. I've put on this forum that I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder(and some social anxiety too mostly GAD)than 3 years later diagnosed with ADHD and take medication the last 2 years or so.

I don't take medication to treat my GAD as I believe I shouldn't. I do however take Vyvanse for my ADHD. Ever since I'm prescribed ADHD medication in my heart I know I shouldn't be on medication in order to know when I "recover" or get my "normal" self back before I had GAD in the first place as medication has confused symptoms.

It's been over 5 years since my GAD started and there is nothing that I want more than to no longer suffer from anxiety. I am believer in Paul David's work at anxietynomore.co.uk and I read his 2 books and keep with his blog posts since 2013.

However Vyvanse helps with organization,energy,increased productivity at work/college,social skills and communication,and being generally content.

Little Missy
05-05-17, 09:00 PM
Personally with myself, no, there is no recovery from my own anxiety problems. I have them treated along with my ADHD for a very long time now.

Traveler5
05-12-17, 06:52 PM
I have both GAD and ADHD. My ADHD medicine treats my ADHD and nothing else. It may help a little with anxiety but not too much. I take an antidepressant for the GAD and it's been a wonderful drug for me in reducing worry and anxiety since 2002. Why suffer when there is medication out there designed to help you.

jkimbo
05-12-17, 08:00 PM
A B I G yes for me. I use to get panic attacks and general anxiety along with social anxiety. I have been taking benzos for that for about 18 years. I started taking adderal 9 months ago and found immediate relief and only get mild anxiety in between adderal doses. In addition to my anxiety it has also reduced my depression to almost non existence.

Amphetamine has long been experimented as a side label med for treating depression for years. While not embraced with open arms because it's a schedule 2 drug, the studies show impressive results. I suspect that could be why it helps me with anxiety because often docs will prescribe anti-depressants for anxiety, I have tried every anti-depressant there is and none has had any effect on my depression or anxiety. Only benzos put a dent in my anxiety.

I asked my pdoc about this and he was very straight forward and honest. He admitted that we don't fully understand why something works for some and not others, in my case he explained that my brain was a paradox, and somehow the adderal causes it to work in a more orderly fashion. He also warned that too much could have an entirely different effect as well. And also admitted not everyone might see the level of success I have.

I know it's the adderal because when it wears off or I take a adderal vacation, not take any for a day or two maybe 3 sometimes, I revert back to my old self and the anxiety comes back, so there you go. Where are you now lol? Know any more? Is this any clearer? Don't feel bad, many pdocs are just as baffled.

So here is my advice, take what people say with a grain of salt. Me included.

coolbanana
05-12-17, 09:16 PM
I had what I thought was generalized anxiety . It turns out the root cause was recently diagnosed ADD. I was so distracted but still utilizing strategies to get through situations that I could never describe what my thought process was. Now I see my thought process was just to avoid everything accidentally through distraction. Ritalin made me less anxious - despite being warned it would make me anxious or even paranoid. It didnt.

AcctUhd456
05-12-17, 09:26 PM
Wow 18 years? I invite you to check out the blog in my original post.

I read about prescription amphetamine for depression however they say in the long run it makes anxiety/depression far worse.

I've used benzos 1 prescription in 2011 and got dependent fast so got off it ASAP. My GAD/Social Anxiety was at its worse back than.

Where I'm at right now with Anxiety recovery is where I've eliminated some bad habits and replaced it with good ones but not over the hurdle as it will take some months for nerves to "desensitize" because of years of suffering and I also need to be given the chance to allow all fears/insecurities arise in certain situations that haven't come up but I am putting myself out there as much as I can and want more of it!. Vyvanse is making it worse since its putting a "bandaid" on my anxiety instead of me naturally recovering from anxiety so it doesn't ever happen again long term.It's also adding side effects since of course its a medication. But its such a good med that it does what it does for what I posted. I am thinking of skipping weekends for now on but I eat so much without it and I'm on a diet lol. I quit caffeine too over a month ago.

Can't wait to hear from you!

AcctUhd456
05-12-17, 11:49 PM
Glad to hear that. I don't know if thats the case with me because I exaggerated some symptoms on ADD test when I got diagnosed but I knew it was me at the CORE when looking at my past in childhood to adulthood

Its hard for me to accept ADD is my root problem because generalized anxiety fits very well but but so does ADD

Johnny Slick
05-13-17, 02:07 AM
I was never diagnosed with an anxiety disorder in the first place but I've found that the mechanisms I'd put into place that gave me panic attacks in the past are mostly going away now, so sure, I can see that.

aeon
05-13-17, 04:24 PM
Aside from its efficacy in regards to ADHD disability, dextroamphetamine sulfate is the most efficacious anxiolytic and antidepressant I have ever known.

Cheers,
Ian

jkimbo
05-13-17, 04:43 PM
Wow 18 years? I invite you to check out the blog in my original post.

I read about prescription amphetamine for depression however they say in the long run it makes anxiety/depression far worse.

I've used benzos 1 prescription in 2011 and got dependent fast so got off it ASAP. My GAD/Social Anxiety was at its worse back than.

Where I'm at right now with Anxiety recovery is where I've eliminated some bad habits and replaced it with good ones but not over the hurdle as it will take some months for nerves to "desensitize" because of years of suffering and I also need to be given the chance to allow all fears/insecurities arise in certain situations that haven't come up but I am putting myself out there as much as I can and want more of it!. Vyvanse is making it worse since its putting a "bandaid" on my anxiety instead of me naturally recovering from anxiety so it doesn't ever happen again long term.It's also adding side effects since of course its a medication. But its such a good med that it does what it does for what I posted. I am thinking of skipping weekends for now on but I eat so much without it and I'm on a diet lol. I quit caffeine too over a month ago.

Can't wait to hear from you!

It certainly can be a issue for a lot of people to stop cold turkey with benzos, not for me. As for the "bandaide" excuse pdocs like to use I throw it back at them because one can consider any med a bandaide, so unless they have healing hands just give me my script and save your opinions (I feel like telling them but don't). I been around this block many times. Your going to hear real horror stories and I have no reason to doubt them, even if I never had such experience. I understand we are all different. That's why I am verry careful when talking to others about my personal experiences! I don't want anyone to think my case is typical or what to expect, truth is no one knows what to expect, but I like to provide a more balanced view by showing nothing is engraved in stone.

My anxiety use to always be present, at best it would be what I call just background noise. I knew it was there but was not too bad. The fear of knowing at any time for even no reason at all it could spike was enough for me to escalate the anxiety ahead of its time! Meds were/are a big part of keeping it under control but developing coping skills also helps tremendously too in junction with meds. For me I needed both. Doctors have to often decide what's worse for their patient, to be addicted to benzos or to live with their anxiety. In some cases the addition is not the worse at all, like in my case, though ironically I was never actually addicted despite the heavy and prolonged use. Certainly not typical at all. After you been on benzos for a few years most docs give up any notion of weeding you off because they know it's too late for you. That's how I was able to go so long.

I definitely recommend taking med vacations! Specially with any schedule 2 drug. I'm not concerned with the addition or dependency at all, I am more concerned with building up a tolerance too quickly! Even a 1 day off vac time is better then nothing, I some times go 2 or 3 days off at least every month. I know what works for me and what doesn't so it does not bother me or effect me at all when I hear horror stories, warnings and so on. I'm glad they are being mentioned because we need to know what all the possibilities are, but as an adult, I like to make my own decisions of care.

Oh one finally thing before I forget. While the adderal has helped me enormously with my social anxiety and depression and even anger, I have discovered I still need to be careful! If pushed to far by someone, I can go at them like a maniac. Please note this is not a side effect at all but a precondition I have. Rage has also been a very real and difficult issue for me to manage another reason for the benzos lol. I have also heard and believe it to be true, that for some people who take amphetamine, they get more anxiety and or rage. Honestly I can't help wondering if all these differences we read and hear about is due to other factors at play we may not be aware of? Why I like to repeat the final precaution of we simply do not know why and to consider all factors and don't draw quick conclusions.

Best of luck to you!

Quiescent
05-28-17, 08:38 PM
Ironically I found Strattera does work for my anxiety. It is said with autism you have high testosterone, high norepinephrine, low serotonin, low dopamine, low cortisol unless an anxiety attack comes on, and high norepinephrine can backfire and cause more anxiety, and adrenaline rushes and/or shock increases these chemicals, for some causing even high serotonin which can cause dysphoria. Strattera works to increase serotonin and decrease norepinephrine. I was on vistaril and buspar, but because my norepinephrine levels were high enough and it works to increase norepinephrine to prevent anxiety, but it would be too much for me and I'd even go into shock.

someothertime
05-28-17, 11:21 PM
my anxiety was instantly flipped on it's head.... i had confidence.... the thing is.... it's not the meds alone.......

8 months later....... feeling less facilitation....... the anxiety would come back....

so it's a "total momentum" and wellbeing thing..... that in my case....... the meds initially kick started....... but were not a long term saving grace..... alone that is.....

Quiescent
05-29-17, 03:19 PM
I like to use rebt therapy tools and DBT therapy tools and CBT therapy tools. When I lived in a medical state I would smoke to prepare myself to exposure to things I had anxiety to. Then I would expose myself to those anxieties and calmly keep going at it until I could no longer bear it go back inside especially since I had anxiety for going outside and smoke again but don't escape and think about positive things meditation really helps a whole lot but for some of us with spindles that caused our brains to go haywire and hyperactive it can be hard to meditate without something to help with meditation. So it's not really a crutch but it does help you go through it. Unfortunately not every strain is like that. And you can't just do that with medication you have to take it as prescribed. And it's not really legal everywhere, so not everybody is going to like it and not everybody is going to agree with it. So it's better to find other methods especially if you don't like to escape or daydream. I'm pretty type A so I have a hard time meditating. But for the years of practice that I have I can easily get into a meditative state so as long as I'm not having a meltdown or in pain.

Anxiety should be taken seriously and therapy should be done and meditation is very helpful and escaping does not help anyone so even though we have medications that help with anxiety it can be really helpful to have techniques down to get out of the situation that is bad for you. There are some things in life that require anxiety to deal with and those are environmental factors and medication cannot solve that.

LJBacon1
06-01-17, 10:22 PM
The only non-medication techniques that yielded any noticeable results:
1 Exercise daily...DAILY
2 Improvement in immune system via diet&vitamins&sleep.
3 Forced social interaction, a proven method to recover mental health issues(Look up the method of "social accountability")
4 Meditation, reading, writing, books on tape, anything related to "quiet time" at least 30-hour daily
5 Recognizing triggers and stressors. Mentally put them out of your head, try to focus on environment and what you HAVE to do next in the moment...
GOODLUCK ;)

I personally take Lamictal, which acts as a great mood stabilizer, weak GABA-A enhancer(good for anxiety), reduces neural excitability, added bonus prevents/protects me from mania & seizures

jackOutTheBox
07-02-17, 06:18 AM
At their very best, my ADHD meds stopped my GAD.

I took beta blockers for maybe 7 yrs before ADHD diagnosis... They changed my life... Even though I got the most ridiculous dhiarhoea from them, I was running a new business from home so exactly what I did during the day (including running to the loo 20+ times!) didn't matter in the slightest... The benefits outweighed the downside.

One day, after starting an effective level of ConcertaXL, I decided to try without beta blockers... After an intense spike of anxiety, it went away... Like a demon I had exorcised (I'm not religious, that's just what it seemed like).

I am not yet stable on the stims. I feel they've been fully effective for two distinct periods (after increases) but aside from that, I've never quite got back to the total lack of need for beta blockers.

So no, I haven't "recovered" but the possibility of not taking betas is quite real to me... But it's a possibility... Only gonna happen if they give me a s**t load more ADHD meds!!!!