View Full Version : Brand new and a question (thanks in advance)

nanajoy
05-05-17, 09:25 PM
Hi. I am newly diagnosed. Saw the psychiatrist last week. He works with my PCP. Saw her today. He said he thought that adder all would help. I read and read and felt ok with getting my prescription today. I even PLANNED the first day and told my PCP of myelin. Even though I would probably not take the medication on a Sunday, I planed to take my first dose this Sunday so that I would know how would feel, and not be surprised at work.
I am in GREAT health, do not take one other medication, am compliant, and work at the same med center as my PCP.
I was surprised, a bit mortified, and offended when I saw the prescription. 5 mg (no problem with that, I have no idea what dose will work, and best to start at the beginning) 15 tablets. 15? I am an intelligent, mature adult. I don't over take ANY meds, nor am I an at risk personality. My next appointment is in one month. Since it is a controlled substance, only one prescription per month.
My question is am I being silly? At this point, I feel that they don't want to help, just make me feel bad. It wasn't anything they said, just the 15 pills of 5 mg.
I have been thinking about this for a few hours. One thought is to ask for my records to be sent somewhere else and get a provider that respects me. Then I think that I am over reacting.
I HATE that I'm in this position. I am not a drug seeker and HATE to feel like one.
Input? (thanks)

nanajoy
05-05-17, 10:42 PM
Apologies for the typos. I would edit, but can't figure out how to.

PaulCamR
05-05-17, 11:21 PM
The typical approach to prescribing Adderall (or similar ADHD medication) is to start at a low dosage, and move up from there. Being prescribed 5mg to start out is protocol that I imagine most doctors would follow for someone who has never taken Adderall before.

If your next appointment is in a month (30 days), and your prescription is for 15 pills, then I am wondering: Is there other information? Were you instructed to take half a pill per day (2.5mg)? Were you instructed to start in 15 days from receiving the prescription? If you don't have an answer for that, contact your doctor's office to ask what you need to be doing. My thinking is perhaps your doctor doesn't want you to purchase more than you need, until you find the correct dose.

There's no need to feel insulted right away. The process is difficult, and will feel slow at first. What you think is best for you, and what your doctor does for you, won't necessarily align at first. Adderall is a commonly abused prescription medication. Fair, consistent procedures need to be in place for everyone, so that safety precautions are followed for the cases in which someone isn't responsible. Such precautions probably don't reflect what a doctor thinks of you personally, but how the doctor treats anyone with a similar situation to you.

My #1 piece of advice is to try to take a deep breath, and give your doctor the benefit of the doubt. If things continue to go poorly, seeking a different doctor is absolutely an option. However, it is fair procedure for a doctor to ask that you take the medication for 2-4 weeks before upping your dosage. So, you'd go from 5mg to 10mg to 15mg and so on, until a dose that works for you is found. This is because some people react unpredictably to increases in dosage (cognitive changes, physical intolerance, etc). Additionally, the goal is to treat ADHD symptoms: Skipping over the lowest dosage needed to effectively treat your symptoms would be a disservice to you. Tolerance is easy to build up, so getting the lowest dosage that works is ideal.

I understand the feeling you are expressing: You wonder if others are judging you, or sizing you up to see if you're just abusing the system. Try not to worry about that. If your doctor isn't helping you as you move forward (ex. 5mg doesn't work for you, you show no adverse side effects, your doctor can't give you a reason why he/she won't move you up to 10mg), then it might be fair to move on to a different doctor. On the flip side, I've read a lot of posts from people who think they know best; don't fall into that trap either. It's a slippery slope to write off a doctor's opinion.

nanajoy
05-05-17, 11:35 PM
YEs, I'm sorry. She said to cut it in half. YES, I feel like I am a fish out of water. I new and strange situation. Thanks for understanding.

nanajoy
05-05-17, 11:36 PM
Great advice. Thanks a million.

sarahsweets
05-06-17, 05:18 AM
I would make sure you have a follow up scheduled sooner than a month away to go and talk about how its working.

psychopathetic
05-06-17, 05:58 AM
Apologies for the typos. I would edit, but can't figure out how to.

On these forums you only have the option to edit your posts within 30 minutes of posting them. There will be a blue button on the bottom of the post called Edit you can click on...but again, that button disappears 30 minutes after you made the post.

http://i63.tinypic.com/f9obj9.jpg

Just thought I'd let you know :)

Welcome to the forums!!

sarahsweets
05-06-17, 06:16 AM
If you do not have a follow up scheduled make one as soon as possible.

nanajoy
05-06-17, 09:21 AM
Thanks for that reminder. She said a follow-up in 1 month. I just looked and it is scheduled in actually 2 months, the very end of June. I will call to move it on Monday.
I am trying to read as many experiences that I can. Combing through dosing experiences.
Point me to any helpful information.
Thanks for responding. I have never used a message board before. I'm amazed that people are so kind and helpful. I so appreciate it.

nanajoy
05-06-17, 02:08 PM
Is 2.5 mg a strange beginning dose? As I peruse the internet, I can't find any experiences with that amount. It is IR once a day.

sarahsweets
05-06-17, 02:32 PM
It sounds awfully conservative TBH.

nanajoy
05-06-17, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the response. I have been reading a few studies and papers written by pretty well known physicians. I am wondering why such the low dose. Am I being patronized? Are they prescribing thinking to get rid of me? I keep feeling a tad apprehensive, but that could be because i just can't find anything written or anyone prescribed this dose. I am average weight. (150) I take no medicines at all. Blood pressure perfect. No depression. No underlying medical conditions. I guess I just have to stop obsessing, but it is hard when you have a feeling that you have been patted on the head and sent on your way.

phlylady
05-06-17, 03:54 PM
Some doctors are just overly cautious, wanting to start low and titrate up slowly, although that is the lowest and slowest I've heard of yet. I would try to schedule a follow-up sooner, like two weeks or so after your original one, and give her some feedback on what you've experienced so far. If she's not receptive at that point, that's when I'd get a second opinion.

psychopathetic
05-06-17, 04:20 PM
Is 2.5 mg a strange beginning dose? As I peruse the internet, I can't find any experiences with that amount. It is IR once a day.

Wow...that seems incredibly low to me...especially since you wont get your next dose increase for an entire month. I can maybe see starting that low if you were going to increase after 2 weeks...but not a month.

All I can really say, is stick with it. It took me over 3 months of slow increases to finally find a dose that helped...and those 3 months were very frustrating. During that time I actually started to feel worse because I was on too low of a dose to notice any benefits, but at the same time it was high enough for me to "come down" from it in the evenings which left me feeling grumpy and moody.
It really was frustrating...but then me and my pill doc finally found a dose that worked, and oh man...it was SO worth the 3 months of frustration. I'm so glad I hung in there and didn't give up.

(((Hugs)))

nanajoy
05-08-17, 06:57 PM
This dose (2.5) was a waste of 3 co-pays. My psychiatrist and PCP SHOULD be practicing evidence based medicine. I have combed the literature. (especially adult dosing Dr. Biederman) There is nothing. Most that is written is 10mg and tweak if necessary. One article was 5 and raised to 10 in a few days.
I'm convinced that they didn't want to treat me. They should have too me that. I wish that they never put a diagnosis in my medical record. Now it is there and I feel that I have no treatment. Excuse my bad mood.

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:31 AM
Unfortunately fear is what most doctors rely on first when it comes to prescribing controlled meds vs what will actually benefit the patient.

nanajoy
05-16-17, 05:18 PM
Going on the portal now asking for the next prescription to be Long lasting 10 mg. Wish me luck.

nanajoy
05-26-17, 03:51 PM
I was a good little patient and completed the month. I sent my doc a message and told her that 2.5 was too low of a dose. She responded that we could try 5mg. OK, I'll try that. Who knows, maybe it will work. At least 5mg is mentioned in the literature as a starting point. She makes me pick up the prescription, so I won't get it until Monday or Tuesday. Fingers crossed. Happy weekend.

nanajoy
06-27-17, 04:19 PM
Hello everyone. It has been a couple of months since I posted. I have an update: I was being impatient, I guess. My PCP is helping with my dose, I just need to be patient. I feel that I can be knowing that she is trying to help and get it right. She upped my dose from 2.5 to 5MG IR. Nothing. My next description was 5MG IR twice a day. (I know, it didn't make sense to me since 5MG was nothing, but I just tried it because maybe she knew something...) Nothing. I had an appointment yesterday. I was ready t tell her that I give up, because, quite frankly, I half expected her to tell me to try 5MG IR 3 times a day. (if nothin at once or twice....well, you know) She said that we should try 10 MG XR. I just picked it up today. I will let you know if it helps. I'm trying to be patient and positive.

I have a question, my prescriptions have all been different brand generics. I have been reading so many helpful posts about brands. Thank you. I had a 5MG from Mylar (That was when she had me cut them. The next 5 MG was Teva Bar and the 10 MG XR (that I will start tomorrow) is Impax. So, what is your advice on these generics? My goodness, I'm trying to find a dose (it is taking forever....did I mention I am TRYING to be patient? LOL) I guess that if I had a clue about brands I could speak to the pharmacist. 3 different brands, and I'm just trying to find a dose. That you Sarah Sweets. I did read one of your posts about shire producing all of these. Is that correct? Any personal experiences that can help e figure all of this out would be appreciated.
Thanks so much for helping me out!

nanajoy
06-27-17, 06:26 PM
Oops Correcting my mistakes s you can understand:
description should be prescription

So many typos. I apologize. When I see this, I am convinced I am stupid.

phlylady
06-27-17, 11:09 PM
I am confused. If 5mg IR 2x a day did nothing for you, why on earth is she prescribing 10mg XR? That's literally the same thing as 5mg IR 2x a day just it's in one pill with half the dose releasing immediately and half later.

Can you get a referral to an actual psychiatrist who will understand this medication better? Your PCP seems kind of ... not knowledgeable.

sarahsweets
06-28-17, 05:22 AM
I am confused. If 5mg IR 2x a day did nothing for you, why on earth is she prescribing 10mg XR? That's literally the same thing as 5mg IR 2x a day just it's in one pill with half the dose releasing immediately and half later.

Can you get a referral to an actual psychiatrist who will understand this medication better? Your PCP seems kind of ... not knowledgeable.
She could be seeing if the mechanism of action is different for the op with xr vs ir.

nanajoy
06-28-17, 09:08 AM

I went to psychiatrist. He works with her. He was the one that thought 2.5 MG's was perfect. She at least listens.

I have no idea how to answer your question. Hopefully she keeps listening and tweaking.

nanajoy
06-28-17, 09:10 AM
Thanks Sarahsweets. Maybe. I'm trying and finally feel that someone is at least listening. It takes a lot for me to speak up. I hate to feel like I am a drug seeker.