View Full Version : First Session

SirLamb
05-07-17, 10:16 AM
Hello people,

So I was initially diagnosed with social anxiety disorder which offsets a panic disorder and offsets a depressive disorder. Nice.

At the same time, my physician had me fill out some papers and then we had a couple of sessions where he concluded that it was likely that I have some form of ADHD/ADD. He asked me if I could think of anyone in my family that has some symptoms of it, and I said my mom may have a bit of it and my grandma, who now has schizophrenia also had it apparently according to my mom.

Though apparently I am exhibiting more than they have. I was initially skeptical about this, until I sat down with a counselor at my college and went over some past history. Sure enough, many of the things I have done as a kid was very 'ADHD' like. The only thing that was off was that I rarely did it in public after that age of 9 or so. After age 9, I only exhibited most of my ADHD symptoms at home, where at school it was memory, day dreaming, and restless fidgeting and foot tapping. I don't think I have ever had an issue with interrupting someone's conversation as I do make a strong attempt not to because I feel reaaaally bad about it afterwards if I do.

Anyways, my doctor while treating my anxiety with Venlafaxine was trying to get an appointment with a psychiatrist. He noted that he already knows what I need to take, but he wants me to hear it from a psychiatrist too.

The appointment is in 3 weeks, and I'm not sure what to expect. I have exams that was supposedly to be scheduled in 3 weeks, but I notified them that I may be receiving medication that may mess up me so I asked to delay it for a few weeks as well as some other certification tests.

What should I expect? My venlafaxine at 37.5 mg initially had me on the floor for a month (I was a zombie at college everyday) and I had a few panic attacks on it so he upped it to 112.5 where I haven't had a mental breakdown yet. Now I'm just at the point where I don't remember what tired is anymore :D.

Would the medication for ADHD be something similar in effect? Was it a good idea to dial back some of the examinations and certifications a few weeks as I get adjusted to whatever they may give me?
Some of the 'ADHD' things I tend to do now are:

- Major memory issues, my dad asked me sometimes if my brain was okay (as a joke, I'm fine with it)

- Consistent, insane foot tapping to the point where my right knee has actually been diagnosed with a small piece of cartilage that may by hinging by the knee cap which has caused swelling (LOL) because the foot tapping may have hindered my recovery from an injury a looong time ago.

- Ridiculous fidgeting. Couple of weeks ago while getting ready to go into an exam, I sat down with my friends and instantly grabbed my friends pencil case and started sifting through it and playing with random things. I sometimes take a screw and a nut to school just so I can screw the nut in, then out and feel the top, then back in. I also play with random necklaces that have beads on them. I apparently do this every class and its the reason why I lose all of my erasers.

- Random excitement. I get fascinated sometimes with just liquid pouring. I don't know what it is, but we had an instrumentation lab where we studied and used instruments used in factories and industries. There was a water station that we used for some labs and every time we used the pump I absolutely loved to just stare at the water pouring. It was fun. I also often get engaged with children's TV shows and on some occasions their toys.

- At home, my sister says I definitely have ADHD because of how childish I am. I admit, I am childish at home. Part of is because I get enjoyment out of making her mad, but part of it is just fun and sometimes happens spontaneously. I also tend to roll around in my bed like a dog and feed the bed with my head when I get haircut. Feels good.

- I tend to forgot major appointments and have to find very special ways to remind me of them.

- I tend to smash my shoulders into corners and on occasion my face. When I walk around a corner or a door, I sometimes forget that its even there and just walk through it = hurts. I remember one time, I went to the bathroom, finished my business and went back to my room. I initially closed my door when I left. Didn't realize this so I just walked straight into it.

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:00 AM
What should I expect? My venlafaxine at 37.5 mg initially had me on the floor for a month (I was a zombie at college everyday) and I had a few panic attacks on it so he upped it to 112.5 where I haven't had a mental breakdown yet. Now I'm just at the point where I don't remember what tired is anymore :D.
I dont know much about the medication you are on but I can tell you that properly medication your adhd can be life changing.

Would the medication for ADHD be something similar in effect? Was it a good idea to dial back some of the examinations and certifications a few weeks as I get adjusted to whatever they may give me?
Some of the 'ADHD' things I tend to do now are:

The medication you are on is for depression and anxiety and works completely different than a stimulant would for adhd. The right stimulant at the right dose can really rock your world in a good way. All of the things you struggle with can be better managed. I wont say they will go away or be perfect but stimulants can be a useful tool when it comes to living. There are some non-stimulants that are also antidepressants but I really feel like you have given that class of drugs a good try already.