View Full Version : Medication is unpredictable

Ashnurse22
05-08-17, 04:26 PM
Why is it that some days my meds work beautifully? Some days it's like the light switch is turned on, you know the feeling you go about your day you get your work done on time, you're able to answer your spouse the first time he asks you a question. And you can't help but thinking is this how everyone else feels every day?
And then the next day you don't change your routine but for some reason nothing works. You're scatterbrained, you find yourself scrolling through social media instead of doing your work, you fall behind, you get in a fight with your husband because he had to ask you 5 times the same question and then another two times before you were able to formulate a thought to answer it.
It feels like a gamble every time I take my medication in the morning. Is it going to work today? Or am I going to be thrown back into the disorganized chaos that is my Baseline? I used to be able to deal with that chaos because it was all that I knew but now that I know the light switch can be turned on I can't cope with it.

I followed all other recommendations. I exercise at least 5 times a week I remember to eat I've been getting enough sleep. The only thing I haven't done is try different medication. That idea scares me because what if it doesn't work at all? How much time will I lose trying to find something else that works? What will the ramifications be at my job? In my marriage?

Does anyone else experience their meds working some days but not all? They are effective about 2/3 of the time. Is it just something we have to deal with? (I've been on medication for about a year now)

dvdnvwls
05-08-17, 04:36 PM
Stress.

High stress means ADHD medications stop working.

Caffeine can also be a problem.

Ashnurse22
05-08-17, 05:05 PM
See, I'm a nurse so high stress is kind of my mantra 😣 makes sense that that would affect it but I hadn't thought of it

phlylady
05-08-17, 05:54 PM
Why is it that some days my meds work beautifully? Some days it's like the light switch is turned on, you know the feeling you go about your day you get your work done on time, you're able to answer your spouse the first time he asks you a question. And you can't help but thinking is this how everyone else feels every day?
And then the next day you don't change your routine but for some reason nothing works. You're scatterbrained, you find yourself scrolling through social media instead of doing your work, you fall behind, you get in a fight with your husband because he had to ask you 5 times the same question and then another two times before you were able to formulate a thought to answer it.
It feels like a gamble every time I take my medication in the morning. Is it going to work today? Or am I going to be thrown back into the disorganized chaos that is my Baseline? I used to be able to deal with that chaos because it was all that I knew but now that I know the light switch can be turned on I can't cope with it.

I followed all other recommendations. I exercise at least 5 times a week I remember to eat I've been getting enough sleep. The only thing I haven't done is try different medication. That idea scares me because what if it doesn't work at all? How much time will I lose trying to find something else that works? What will the ramifications be at my job? In my marriage?

Does anyone else experience their meds working some days but not all? They are effective about 2/3 of the time. Is it just something we have to deal with? (I've been on medication for about a year now)

YEP! I think it's related to hormones. I read somewhere that when your estrogen tanks right before your period it can make your meds ineffective. Or if you are *ahem* of a certain age like me, perimenopausal, your hormones are constantly see-sawing which leads to the fun unpredictability you and I experience. I have an appt with my doctor at the end of the month and I'm going to see what we can do about it because you're right, now that I know how GREAT being "on" can be, being "off" is even more frustrating.

ToneTone
05-08-17, 09:01 PM
Here's what I find: basically my brain has a limit.

So let's say on Monday I feel great, the med is really working and I really push it ... i do all kinds of tedious tasks and take on a lot ... Well, sounds great ... but there is a point ... beyond which I will play the price.

The price is that the next day, my brain will not turn on and be as sharp as it was the day before-medication or no medication.

I have now gotten pretty good about noticing when I'm going past the safe point that will hamper me the next day.

This may not work as a great analogy ... But there is a similar dynamic for me with exercise. If I exercise past the level of shape I'm in ... because I'm just feeling "inspired" that particular day ... well guess what? ... the next day I'll be dragging and I won't want to exercise. My body got over-exerted and it needs recovery. So my brain can get overexerted by tedious stuff like hours of paperwork.

I find it's also important to try to shut off my brain and avoid tedious stuff on weekends ... when I know the upcoming week will be frantic. I've noticed many times that if I do tedious work and thinking the weekend before a major workweek, my brain (my concentration and mental energy) will quickly reach the point of fatigue. I know taking weekend breaks from tedious stuff isn't possible for everyone, but it's a great goal ... to find some down time ...

Tone

John moore
05-08-17, 09:34 PM
Here's what I find: basically my brain has a limit.

So let's say on Monday I feel great, the med is really working and I really push it ... i do all kinds of tedious tasks and take on a lot ... Well, sounds great ... but there is a point ... beyond which I will play the price.

The price is that the next day, my brain will not turn on and be as sharp as it was the day before-medication or no medication.

I have now gotten pretty good about noticing when I'm going past the safe point that will hamper me the next day.

This may not work as a great analogy ... But there is a similar dynamic for me with exercise. If I exercise past the level of shape I'm in ... because I'm just feeling "inspired" that particular day ... well guess what? ... the next day I'll be dragging and I won't want to exercise. My body got over-exerted and it needs recovery. So my brain can get overexerted by tedious stuff like hours of paperwork.

I find it's also important to try to shut off my brain and avoid tedious stuff on weekends ... when I know the upcoming week will be frantic. I've noticed many times that if I do tedious work and thinking the weekend before a major workweek, my brain (my concentration and mental energy) will quickly reach the point of fatigue. I know taking weekend breaks from tedious stuff isn't possible for everyone, but it's a great goal ... to find some down time ...

Tone

The longer I am on meds the less the differences the meds make are as obvious. My built-in forgetter works overtime sometimes, too.

sarahsweets
05-17-17, 04:18 AM
Hows your sleep?

Gypsy Willow
05-17-17, 11:04 AM
Getting proper sleep is a major factor! Also, outside stressors can decrease the effectiveness. I think our whole body chemistry changes when we are super stressed and it messes up the ADD meds.