View Full Version : Anyone here take more than 60mg of Adderall legally with a prescription from a doctor

psychopathetic
05-08-17, 09:31 PM
So I had a talk with my pill doc today and told her that my current dose just isn't doing anything for me. I take 2x 20mg extended in the morning, and another 20mg instant in the afternoon as needed. This dose use to be amazing for me...but these past 4 or 5 months it's not been doing a whole lot for me.

Well, she told me that I was already on the highest dose I can be on. That 60mg's is all she's able to prescribe me. So I told her that other people take higher doses...and she asked who those people were, so I told her they were people on an adhd forum I'm a part of...then she said that they're either lying, or taking that dose illegally and that no doctor would prescribe anyone over 60mg.

Well...truth be told...maybe she's right? I don't actually know if anyone is actually legally with a doctor's okay, taking over 60mg. I think I've seen people post that they're on higher doses...but I'm not 100% sure.

Is my doc right? Could she get in trouble for upping my dose past 60?

If she's wrong...is there anything I can do to help her? Print an official article or something? I don't know.

namazu
05-09-17, 01:50 AM
So I had a talk with my pill doc today and told her that my current dose just isn't doing anything for me. I take 2x 20mg extended in the morning, and another 20mg instant in the afternoon as needed. This dose use to be amazing for me...but these past 4 or 5 months it's not been doing a whole lot for me.

Well, she told me that I was already on the highest dose I can be on. That 60mg's is all she's able to prescribe me. So I told her that other people take higher doses...and she asked who those people were, so I told her they were people on an adhd forum I'm a part of...then she said that they're either lying, or taking that dose illegally and that no doctor would prescribe anyone over 60mg.

Well...truth be told...maybe she's right? I don't actually know if anyone is actually legally with a doctor's okay, taking over 60mg. I think I've seen people post that they're on higher doses...but I'm not 100% sure.

Is my doc right? Could she get in trouble for upping my dose past 60?

If she's wrong...is there anything I can do to help her? Print an official article or something? I don't know.
It's not true that prescribing or taking doses >60mg/day is illegal.

It's uncommon to prescribe doses >60mg/day, and 60mg/day is the highest dose recommended by the manufacturer (because that's what they tested), and a lot of people do not need higher doses. But it's not illegal. It's called "off-label" prescribing.

The doctor would not get in trouble for prescribing that dose if she had a legitimate medical reason for doing so. Unless she were routinely prescribing very high doses to patients under dubious circumstances, no one's going to bat an eye -- except maybe an insurance company or Medicaid, if they have limits. (But's that not a legal issue so much as a coverage issue, especially for non-state-run insurance plans.) If you are on Medicaid, it's quite possible that there are hard limits on what the plan will cover, and maybe >60mg isn't covered.

I don't remember the highest dose of Adderall I was prescribed, and it's not what I take now, but at one point I was prescribed (by a neurologist at an ADHD specialty clinic) more than 2x the "recommended" daily dose of Concerta. Although it was fairly effective (and did not cause euphoria), I backed off that dose because I was uncomfortable taking such a high dose -- not because it was illegal, but because I felt there wasn't adequate evidence for safety at that dose. (No real evidence of lack of safety, either -- just not a lot of evidence, period.)

All of that said, if you find that the dose that worked well before isn't working so well now, be sure to consider other possibilities as well; for example, that depression and/or anxiety and/or sleep issues could be adversely affecting your overall functioning. Upping the dose of Adderall wouldn't necessarily fix those problems, so you might need some other strategies as well.

BlackWarrior
05-09-17, 02:49 AM
Your best bet is to speak with a neurologist and have them run some lab tests on you to determine what is the best course of action for you.

psychopathetic
05-09-17, 08:00 AM
All of that said, if you find that the dose that worked well before isn't working so well now, be sure to consider other possibilities as well; for example, that depression and/or anxiety and/or sleep issues could be adversely affecting your overall functioning. Upping the dose of Adderall wouldn't necessarily fix those problems, so you might need some other strategies as well.
Your best bet is to speak with a neurologist and have them run some lab tests on you to determine what is the best course of action for you.

Thanks a lot guys :).

And absolutely. Everything right now hinges on my sleeping issues and getting that under control. It's the worst it's ever been in my life and I'm positive it's wrecking havoc on my mood and the effectiveness of my meds.
I'm very curious to see how much medications I'll actually need once I start getting some real rest in life. I'd probably not need my mood stabilizer for 1 thing, and yeah, I wouldn't be needing so much of the adderall to be helping. A big part of why I need so much adderall...is because I'm often so chronically tired. So it just makes sense that once that tiredness is lifted I wont be needing nearly as much.

I just saw my medical doc late last week and he contacted a local sleep center for me...I'm now just waiting to hear back from them so I can have a sleep study done and hopefully get on a cpap machine which will hopefully help with my damned sleep apnea and help me actually stay asleep at night.

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:30 AM
I answered this in your other thread but I take 20mg of adderall xr three times a day with 2 10mg ir dex boosters.

Gypsy Willow
05-16-17, 11:36 AM
My doc just prescribed me 60 mg a day but I figured it's because I am no longer a size 4, and 120 lbs. I can get by with 40 or 45 mg a day but I just got back on Adderall after 6 years last Friday.

Impromptu_DTour
05-23-17, 10:46 PM
When my insurance convered extended release meds:

60mg Adderall XR + 60mg Adderall IR (per day)
honestly i found that for me an Adderall XR with a Ritalin IR combo worked the best.

but alas.. insurance is a business.. and my current insurance has commited to the position that adults dont need XR medications for ADHD, and should have the discipline to manage their own medication schedule.. so they claim no medical purpose to cover XR meds for anyone over 18.

currently im on 60mg Ritalin IR / day.

iDTour

HarrisonBX
05-24-17, 12:56 PM
Find another doctor. I have been taking adderall (or other add meds for 25 years). I take 105 mg/day, generic adderall (3 1/2 30mg tablets) and I have taken that for years. I would barely notice 60mg. I have only encountered issues with that amount twice. The first time was with an anal retentive doctor who seemed to be a crusader of some sort who was determined to try some tiny amount of adderall in combination with various things that had already been tried and did not work. The second time was a case where the doctor had been sued for some reason and was being overly cautious. In the latter case, I had to drop back to 70mg temporarily and over a period of about a year and half, get my dose increased back to where it was. (Actually, prior to that, I had been taking 120mg, but 105mg seems to be working ok.) If your doctor is any good, he/she will consider the possibility that you aren't a statistically average person and treat you according to your needs as an individual. Not everyone metabolizes everything the same.