View Full Version : How to lower my tolerance?

belkella83
05-09-17, 01:05 PM
I take 30mg of adderrell IR 3 times a day (90mg). But my prescription is written for 30mg 2 times a day (60mg). I take 3 a day bc 2 aren't as effective anymore so I end up running out early every month. My usual pattern is:
2 weeks- 90mg a day
2 weeks- I don't take any

As you can imagine the 2 weeks without them are pure hell. I created this vicious cycle but I want to break it. I'd rather do 3 days with them then the next 3 days without, etc. Do you think 3 days is long enough to lower my tolerance a little?

Any other suggestions on how to lower my tolerance?
Thanks!!

midnightstar
05-09-17, 03:31 PM
Hi and welcome :)

Quick mod note from your local, friendly mods: This forum doesn't allow the discussion of med misuse, if you want to alter your dosage you're better off talking with your doctor (none of us here are qualified to advise about changing medication doses either) :) Forum guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75)

Johnny Slick
05-09-17, 04:20 PM
Yeah, what midnightstar said, and just from a "wanting to help you" standpoint you really, really need to talk to a p-doc about this. In what way are they "not effective"? Do the effects wear off when you still need to concentrate on something? Do you find yourself having to take them more often than once every 4 hours or so? There's an awful lot to unpack here and again, none of us are trained professionals and none of us have the ability to tell you this.

Just for references' sake (although everyone's different), I know that I personally have a prescription for Ritalin at 20mg x 3 times a day but my p-doc has also told me to, essentially, use as needed. Since they last 3-4 hours that generally means that on days that I'm working I take 2 - one when I get in and one at lunch - and then take a 3rd if I'm actually doing something later that night that requires attention (if I'm on a date, for instance, or I'm taking a class). On the weekends I'll often take less. Occasionally, too, I take one to help me sleep (look, ADHD is a weird condition sometimes).

As for "lowering your tolerance", I think the only way to really do this is to take less of them or to switch meds. Unfortunately people get tolerant/resistant to drugs over time. It's just the way the body works. And if you need the higher dosage in order to function, it's not going to be easy. I guess the good news is that some studies are showing that taking medication for ADHD causes the body to build up the parts of the brain that get atrophied in ADHD people, so over time you may very well be able to wean yourself off of them because the composition of your brain has changed.

jeffb74
05-10-17, 12:21 PM
I take 30mg of adderrell IR 3 times a day (90mg). But my prescription is written for 30mg 2 times a day (60mg). I take 3 a day bc 2 aren't as effective anymore so I end up running out early every month. My usual pattern is:
2 weeks- 90mg a day

As you can imagine the 2 weeks without them are pure hell. I created this vicious cycle but I want to break it. I'd rather do 3 days with them then the next 3 days without, etc. Do you think 3 days is long enough to lower my tolerance a little?

Thanks!!

belkella 83, Have you ever discussed with your doctor the idea of keeping the 60 mgs but taking 20 mg doses 3 times a day. I think with instant release medicine , the dosage is meant to last 3-6 hours depending on the person and that spreading out your 60 mgs throughtout the day might help you. I find that when it comes to taking adderall or other prescription stimulants it helps to spread it out by an am dose, lunch dose, and a late afternoon dose. You can adjust the timing and obviously if the late afternoon dose keeps you up and you can't sleep you can take that earlier . Discuss with your Doctor or possibly consider trying another medication or possibly trying an extended release version of Adderall? Best of luck--jb

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:28 AM
2 weeks- 90mg a day

Thanks!!

You can play doctor and take whatever dose you want because YOU think it works. If your doc finds out it could get ugly. I always hear about "lowering" or "preventing" tolerance and I wonder if thats even possible since preventing what isnt happening could be tough, and lowering tolerance means not taking the medication at all for awhile. If not taking the medication is what lowers your tolerance then you should be good to go if after two weeks you run out until your next fill. I get it, so no judgement here but its situations like these that make those of us who need the meds have to do cartwheels and jump through hoops to get them.