View Full Version : Anyone found "Lost at School" by Ross Greene helpful?

Per Smith
05-10-17, 09:43 AM
Hi,

Our son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is struggling behaviorally in kindergarten at 5 years old (perhaps that's no surprise). We do occupational therapy with him, and try hard to work on strategies at home that will teach him the skills he needs to overcome some of his difficulties, but the reality is that his school environment is a very different context from home or OT. We recently picked up the book "Lost at School" by Ross Greene and it has been eye opening in a lot of ways. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with trying to work with their child's school to utilize some of Greene's suggested strategies. I ask because Greene's suggestions require educators and care givers at school to approach children like mine in radically different way than they are likely used to, and I'm unsure how easy it is to get them to do that, or if there are any strategies to make that more successful. Any feedback on this would be immensely helpful. Thanks!

Per

sarahsweets
05-20-17, 03:38 AM
Can you share what some of those techniques and tips are?

Hi,

Our son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is struggling behaviorally in kindergarten at 5 years old (perhaps that's no surprise). We do occupational therapy with him, and try hard to work on strategies at home that will teach him the skills he needs to overcome some of his difficulties, but the reality is that his school environment is a very different context from home or OT. We recently picked up the book "Lost at School" by Ross Greene and it has been eye opening in a lot of ways. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with trying to work with their child's school to utilize some of Greene's suggested strategies. I ask because Greene's suggestions require educators and care givers at school to approach children like mine in radically different way than they are likely used to, and I'm unsure how easy it is to get them to do that, or if there are any strategies to make that more successful. Any feedback on this would be immensely helpful. Thanks!

Per