View Full Version : Normal affects?

Helloiamdani
05-10-17, 02:25 PM
Hey there. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Amp. Salts (XR) 10mg as a month-long trial before seeing my doctor for a scheduled medication check. This is my first experience taking stimulant medications so I don't really know if what I'm experiencing is within the range of normal. But it seems like any affect I feel, which, as far as I can tell, is so far just minor increase in task initiation, wears off within 3 or 4 hours. Once I hit that 4 hour mark, I feel almost more discombobulated, and sometimes sort of drowsy either right when I take it or a few hours later. Other than that, I notice some tension in my jaw after a few hours, and that's about it. No issues sleeping. The whole thing has been sort of anticlimactic, like it's almost helpful but then not really. My doctor said to give it a whole month- so far it has been not quite two weeks. Since it isn't a medication that requires time to achieve therapeutic levels, if this was the right dosage/medicine, wouldn't I probably know pretty quickly?

Today, I took my medicine at 10am, and right now (about 2pm) I feel like I can hardly think straight to a point that is possibly worse than my status quo, which is saying something.

TL;DR- About two weeks into trial dose of 10mg XR Amp Salts, not noticing too much benefit and feeling more discombobulated and a little drowsy after about 4hrs.

Little Missy
05-10-17, 03:39 PM
Sounds normal to me. :)

Helloiamdani
05-10-17, 04:33 PM
My doc told me to expect 10-12hrs of efficacy on this medicine. I'm bummed I'm getting only 3 or 4. It's like the second dose doesn't kick in, and that the first dose isn't very effective. My son takes methylphenidate and his medicine helps him tremendously, so I was kind of crossing my fingers for similar results.

Little Missy
05-10-17, 04:44 PM
I didn't realize you are taking XR.

Hmmmm...I've only taken IR and I take it 3X a day but what you wrote is pretty close to how it is with IR.

Do you have tablets or capsules? Are you sure it is XR? Even XR is only 6-8 hours-ish.

jkimbo
05-10-17, 11:29 PM
I am not surprised you are not feeling any benefits yet with 10 mg XR! That is very low and XR makes it even milder. My first pdoc wanted to start me off on 15mg XR but told him I would rather try IR because I happen to know XR costs more for any med. He understood, and it was IR once a day which turned out to still be too low for me but I at least felt some benefit! Best of luck to you!

aur462
05-11-17, 12:04 AM
10 mg xr is very low for a one month trial. Dose should be raised sooner (i would imagine). I'm guessing this isn't a psychiatrist, I.e. "give month for therapeutic effect". I knew within about FORTY FIVE MINUTES of my first Adderall it was great.

Helloiamdani
05-11-17, 10:02 AM
10 mg xr is very low for a one month trial. Dose should be raised sooner (i would imagine). I'm guessing this isn't a psychiatrist, I.e. "give month for therapeutic effect". I knew within about FORTY FIVE MINUTES of my first Adderall it was great.

Yep. PCP.

Helloiamdani
05-11-17, 10:06 AM
I didn't realize you are taking XR.

Hmmmm...I've only taken IR and I take it 3X a day but what you wrote is pretty close to how it is with IR.

Do you have tablets or capsules? Are you sure it is XR? Even XR is only 6-8 hours-ish.

Yeah, it's XR. Little orange and white capsules with beads inside.

Helloiamdani
05-11-17, 10:22 AM
I am not surprised you are not feeling any benefits yet with 10 mg XR! That is very low and XR makes it even milder. My first pdoc wanted to start me off on 15mg XR but told him I would rather try IR because I happen to know XR costs more for any med. He understood, and it was IR once a day which turned out to still be too low for me but I at least felt some benefit! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! I'm hoping she'll boost me up to 20mg but my doctor is a PCP who seems to be conservative with dosing. My ADHD evaluation took three months from the time I scheduled it until the time it was finally finished, it's frustrating that the part where I receive proper help is taking forever too.

jkimbo
05-11-17, 05:56 PM
Thanks! I'm hoping she'll boost me up to 20mg but my doctor is a PCP who seems to be conservative with dosing. My ADHD evaluation took three months from the time I scheduled it until the time it was finally finished, it's frustrating that the part where I receive proper help is taking forever too.

Just cautious thats ok, the fact that they are entertaining trying you on it is encouraging, as some will not. Just don't ask for a specific dosage, you don't want to seem to eager as that might raise a red flag for some pdocs. Just be honest and let him know whats happening. Doctors are all different, some start you off way too low, some too high and any where in between too. Which is all fine because it's better then those who refuse to consider giving it a try at all or to try some other god forsaken med that has no effect at all but comes with annoying side effects and a fancy price tag :)

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:21 AM
My doc told me to expect 10-12hrs of efficacy on this medicine. I'm bummed I'm getting only 3 or 4. It's like the second dose doesn't kick in, and that the first dose isn't very effective. My son takes methylphenidate and his medicine helps him tremendously, so I was kind of crossing my fingers for similar results.

Your doctor is wrong. Adderall xr is not a 12 hour medication, its a 6-8 hour medication. I take it three times a day because it doesnt last more than 4-5 for me.
As far as I know, the only medications that are billed as 12 hours are vyvanse and concerta.

Lunacie
05-16-17, 10:55 AM
Your doctor is wrong. Adderall xr is not a 12 hour medication, its a 6-8 hour medication. I take it three times a day because it doesnt last more than 4-5 for me.
As far as I know, the only medications that are billed as 12 hours are vyvanse and concerta.

And I've never seen anyone say that Concerta actually lasts longer than 8 hours!