View Full Version : Exessive Picking

momof2js0408
05-11-17, 10:05 AM
My son is 13 years old. He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was six. He has been on Concertta for several years now. Of course like most children with ADHD he fidgets quite often. He also has a horrible habit of picking his nails. He picks them so bad they bleed and sometimes get infected. Does anyone else deal with this type of situation? Do you have any suggestion on how to get him to stop? I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Caco3girl
05-11-17, 11:45 AM
How does he pick? My son wouldn't stop biting his nails and cuticles and I covered his hands with the very bad tasting stuff they sell in the stores for nail biting cures....it worked for him...for the most part.

l_ruth_
05-13-17, 05:36 AM
Hey, I'm not a parent. I personally would say it's a case of figuring out what a habit is doing for the person, then possibly redirecting it in a healthy way --- what keeps coming to mind is how I've heard exercise is quite important for people with ADHD. Hope this helps

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 06:22 AM
Have you ever considered another medication? Sometimes medications in the methylphenidate class of drugs can cause tics like picking, chewing, throat clearing etc.