View Full Version : What are my doctor's intentions?

eld609
05-11-17, 04:15 PM
Hey everyone, I'll give a quick background and follow with my question. I was diagnosed with add as a child and prescribed adderall. I stopped taking the medication around the time I started high school.

Now that I am an adult, I started feeling all the usual symptoms of adult add. After trying a couple different medications, I did ally worked up the nerve to just tell my doctor I wanted to try address since it worked when I was a kid. He agreed and wrote a prescription.

Here is where I'm confused. He started me on 5mg once a day. From what I understand this is extremely low. He stated that he was going to write it for 60 pills and we would follow up in 30 days to see if I felt like it was working and also to see how many I had left. Is he testing me? I'm super confused about his intentions. If he was concerned about abuse why would he write it for 60 pills? Should I call in a week or so and just tell him I would like a higher dose?

midnightstar
05-11-17, 04:18 PM
My understanding about any medications is you get started on a low dose then if the medication works for you, the doctor changes the dosage until he or she finds the ideal dosage for you :)

Little Missy
05-11-17, 05:15 PM
I would take it as prescribed and not deviate from that.

eld609
05-11-17, 05:26 PM
I would take it as prescribed and not deviate from that.

Yeah that is my plan. I just didn't understand why he would be starting that low

eld609
05-11-17, 05:26 PM
My understanding about any medications is you get started on a low dose then if the medication works for you, the doctor changes the dosage until he or she finds the ideal dosage for you :)

Ok, that makes sense

namazu
05-11-17, 05:30 PM
Yeah that is my plan. I just didn't understand why he would be starting that low
Starting with a low dose and titrating upwards can help avoid unwanted side effects, and also helps avoid overshooting the optimal dose. (More is not always better, and some people are pretty sensitive to the medication.)

If you find it's doing nothing (good or bad), you could certainly call the doctor in a couple of weeks to inquire. And, of course, if you are getting side effects, that's also a reason to contact the doctor early.

sarahsweets
05-16-17, 04:24 AM
Low and slow is the way to go! But I would call back and get in sooner than a month. IME it only takes a week to know how a medication works for you. Definitely do not take more than prescribed in the meantime.