View Full Version : Are you Socially Anxious?

weswes
05-12-17, 03:14 PM
I definitely have some social anxiety from being called weird a lot as a kid and failing at so many things in my life.

I developed low self-esteem and then it became a voice in my head questioning everything I did in my life.

I had it pretty bad for a number of years. Its a lot less severe now. Some of the reasons I don't feel so bad now is that my ADHD is more managed and I am less hyperactive, more focused, and I feel that I am able to process information better.

Being able to process information well has given me a tool in dealing with the swirl of bad emotions I used to have when I left social situations.

It has also helped me deal with the trauma I had from being abused as a kid because of my ADHD symptoms. Which I hope will decrease over time.

Sometimes I still need to write my thoughts down for them to stop swirling in my mind, but at least I know that journaling is something that does help. I'm really glad that works for me.

Anyway? Are any of you socially anxious or introverted or both like I am?

daveddd
05-12-17, 03:58 PM
yes, I am both, avoidant

I'm not positive why , but my mom says i was shy since a toddler

Traveler5
05-12-17, 06:25 PM
Am I socially anxious? Yes.

I don't know if I would be diagnosed as such but I prefer to stay at home than be out socializing with people I don't know or don't know very well. When that happens I can get very anxious especially when I'm with people I don't know at all. I am diagnosed with GAD and I've always thought it was part of that, or if I have social anxiety disorder. I wouldn't say I'm shy or introverted -- I can be the opposite with people I know well. And I don't remember being this way as a kid. It pretty much started to happen when I got into my 30s.

jkimbo
05-12-17, 07:44 PM
I use to be very socially anxious before I started the adderal, 9 months later still social anxiety free! I don't need my klonopins any more.

weswes
05-13-17, 04:55 PM
I use to be very socially anxious before I started the adderal, 9 months later still social anxiety free! I don't need my klonopins any more.

adderal had the same affect on me. It was very liberating.

I guess dopamine had a lot do with my social anxiety as well, since adderal was so effective for dealing with it when I was taking it as medication.

Traveler5
05-15-17, 07:21 PM

For me, even with Adderall I still get socially anxious.

weswes
05-17-17, 11:11 PM
For me, even with Adderall I still get socially anxious.

sry to hear that.

diagoro
05-22-17, 09:19 AM
The only thing Adderall does for me is make me more chatty, maybe even a bit more social. But I still have a lifetime of awkward social experiences due to my anxiety, and the medication never changed that.