View Full Version : "Your Primary Parenting Figures' Guidance and "Your Gods' Guidance"

mildadhd
05-13-17, 04:33 AM
Are there circumstances that you would choose your Parenting Figure's guidance, over your God's guidance?

Are there circumstances that you would choose your God's guidance, over your Parenting Figure's guidance?

Other related thoughts?

mildadhd

finallyfound10
05-13-17, 12:12 PM
Are there circumstances that you would choose your Parenting Figure's guidance, over your God's guidance?

Are there circumstances that you would choose your God's guidance, over your Parenting Figure's guidance?

Other related thoughts?

Yes, the are many situations that I chose God's guidance over my parents. I had a spiritual re-birth and became a Bible-believing Christian at about 25 where as my parents were/are not. There have been many, many situations where our our core values and beliefs were diametrically opposed so I did not share things going in my life and decisions I needed to make but relied upon God and my friends who shared my spiritual beliefs and core values.

Sometimes it made me sad that I couldn't follow conventional thinking of "follow the wisdom of your parents", "listen to their wise counsel." But, it is what it is.

aeon
05-13-17, 04:25 PM
As an agnostic, the question makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Cheers,
Ian

mildadhd
05-16-17, 02:54 PM
During circumstances when our parenting-figures are unavailable to parent.

What forms of self-parenting guidance you choose?

m

finallyfound10
05-21-17, 01:46 PM
I think that there are many people who need to self-parent as adults as there were issues in the family growing up aka family of origin. There are so many books out there on it. I also think that the majority of therapists today have that philosophy and counsel from that perspective.

dvdnvwls
05-21-17, 03:42 PM
If there is guidance from a god, it is certain that the guidance never comes with a reliable identifying label to show where it came from. Claiming to have received specific guidance from God is therefore always a questionable practice. Most of the people who are certain they have special messages from God are actually receiving messages of self-delusion, the products of their own psychology.

And yet, having the impression that you've received a divine message can sometimes be beneficial, regardless of the message's true origin.

Fuzzy12
05-21-17, 04:06 PM

Other related thoughts?

mildadhd
I think once you are an adult the source of guidance matters less than how sensible you rate the guidance to be.

Any sort of advice needs to pass through our filter. Discard advice thst doesn't make sense and consider the one which does...irrespective of the source.